Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 10-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Rarely has a single portion of a game perplexed me so much...maybe my time in captivity has addled my brain...the greater wolfwere is deceased and I have all of the goodies past him up to the point of crossing the plank bridge guarded by no less than four golems...here is my unique situation...it seems that only the flail of ages makes a dent in them of all of my weapons...I thought that having the Flail plus two additional magical maces in the party would do the trick (Neither of them are less than +2) as my crushing weapons for golem encounters but the only weapon that is not ineffective is the flail...why is this and do you have any suggestions???

As for my party It goes like this:

MINSC(Tank) level 12
Keldorn(Tank) level 11-12ish
Yoshimo(archer/bounty hunter) 12-13ish
Jaheria(fighter/druid/healer)12/13
Ayrie(cleric/Mage)??/12
Me (Conjurer) level 12 or 13

What can you tell me people?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Try some summons to keep them at bay, and use Melf's Minute Meteors. Also, try and buff your tanks up (Stoneskin, Haste, etc.) and send them, in as the Stoneskin protects your from the hits of the golems.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Check this thread and scroll until you find Six's post. IIRC, there's an adamantite golem and several stone golems waiting for you up there. You need +2 weapons to hit the stone and +3 weapons to hit the adamantite, but the adamantite is highly resistant to physical damage.

Did you happen to find a weapon in the same game area you found the FOA, something that does +1/+4 to giantkin? That'll hit those golems. IIRC, projectiles (arrows, bolts, bullets) in BG2 need to be the right enchantment; a +3 bow won't hit an adamantite golem unless the arrows are at least +3. The description should tell you so.

As Link said, MMM will hit the adamantite golem. If you can cast Enchanted Weapon or Phantom Blade, these will create +3 and +4 weapons, respectively. Enchanted Weapon makes +3 weapons the caster can give to the party, and Phantom Blade creates a +4 weapon that only the caster can use.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by I wish my name was Baggins:
Rarely has a single portion of a game perplexed me so much...maybe my time in captivity has addled my brain...the greater wolfwere is deceased and I have all of the goodies past him up to the point of crossing the plank bridge guarded by no less than four golems...here is my unique situation...it seems that only the flail of ages makes a dent in them of all of my weapons...I thought that having the Flail plus two additional magical maces in the party would do the trick (Neither of them are less than +2) as my crushing weapons for golem encounters but the only weapon that is not ineffective is the flail...why is this and do you have any suggestions???

As for my party It goes like this:

MINSC(Tank) level 12
Keldorn(Tank) level 11-12ish
Yoshimo(archer/bounty hunter) 12-13ish
Jaheria(fighter/druid/healer)12/13
Ayrie(cleric/Mage)??/12
Me (Conjurer) level 12 or 13

What can you tell me people?
[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] sounds as if your finding the move from bg1 to bg2 difficult. are you really missing those kobolds that much?
Old 10-22-2003, 04:21 AM   #5
Whailor

Do not forget the Staff of Rhynn, what you can buy from the start of the game (well, as soon as you can afford it), it's a handy 2-handed, +4, staff, and puts the dents on those golems just as well.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:34 AM   #6
Faceman
Hathor

Ah, Golems
real buggers the first time through.
Tactics:
Stone, Sand,... Golems: +2weapons, haste, slow and a lot of tank power
Clay Golems: blunt weapons only!
Iron, Adamantite Golems: They are tough for low-level parties but they are mighty big. So get them stuck somewhere and finish them in a long tedious target practice with ranged weapons. If you have the bonus merchants youcan use the Sling of Everard, else use the best arrows you have or Arla's sling Dragonbane (the +3 sunstone sling) or magical throwing axes (Azuredge, Hangard's axe) or hammers (dwarven thrower)
Old 10-24-2003, 04:08 PM   #7
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

One thing that's always bugged me, is why can lesser clay golems be hit by slashing/piercing weapons when normal clay golems can't? I suppose the logic behind normal clay golems not being able to be hit by slashing/piercing wepaons is because the sword etc slides of the clay, so surely lesser clay golems should also be imune to piercing/slashing weapons, as there also made from clay?

What's everyone's opinion on this?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:29 PM   #8
masteraleph
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
One thing that's always bugged me, is why can lesser clay golems be hit by slashing/piercing weapons when normal clay golems can't? I suppose the logic behind normal clay golems not being able to be hit by slashing/piercing wepaons is because the sword etc slides of the clay, so surely lesser clay golems should also be imune to piercing/slashing weapons, as there also made from clay?

What's everyone's opinion on this?
I always thought it was because they were clay, and that you could bludgeon them into nothingness but that slashing/piercing weapons would just put a cut into them, nothing more (maybe get stuck too). Lesser clay golems, though, could be small enough that you could shear straight through them (through a limb at any rate)...
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote