Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 06:59 PM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Old 09-18-2001, 07:02 PM   #2
Lioness
Jack Burton

Where? where? Big *hugs* Epona!

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and resident storyteller at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Bestest Mate of the Cyan Knight
Lady of the Fallen Paladin
Old 09-19-2001, 03:39 AM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

a big warm showering rainy welcome for our Epona!!

how fare Italy!

P.S. sorry, I was in a hurry this morning, didn't write too much
Old 09-19-2001, 03:51 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Ahhh! 250, master of the blank post!! Gwhanos will think you are trying to out-spam him!

Fear not, I am here. Italy was great, but it was horrible hearing about events in the States and not having access to English language news channels and the internet. I just about managed to follow it all in Italian - but my Italian is limited to ordering coffee and pizza

I don't know many people in NY & DC - my biggest worry was for others here at IW who may have been hurt, missing, or mourning - so although I cried when I first saw the footage, it was for the human tragedy rather than personal loss.

Good to be back, and glad I missed all the bickering which went on here last week, I'm not very good at biting my tongue when I disagree! Seems to be getting back to normal now though, thank goodness.

Good ta see ya 250! And hi Lioness, hugs to you too!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-19-2001, 03:55 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Ahhh! 250, master of the blank post!! Gwhanos will think you are trying to out-spam him!

Fear not, I am here. Italy was great, but it was horrible hearing about events in the States and not having access to English language news channels and the internet. I just about managed to follow it all in Italian - but my Italian is limited to ordering coffee and pizza

I don't know many people in NY & DC - my biggest worry was for others here at IW who may have been hurt, missing, or mourning - so although I cried when I first saw the footage, it was for the human tragedy rather than personal loss.

Good to be back, and glad I missed all the bickering which went on here last week, I'm not very good at biting my tongue when I disagree! Seems to be getting back to normal now though, thank goodness.

Good ta see ya 250! And hi Lioness, hugs to you too!

well, I am sorry that your trip didn't go as planned. but good to know that you are back, safe and ready to wage some fire...err.. actually, no just don't post any more useless post, lol j/k

about the tragedy, yeah... what can we say, let's hope no more blood sheding, and everyone live a better life from now on! add life to time!

P.S. don't they speak english in Rome? or which part of Italy did you go?

Leo
Old 09-19-2001, 04:03 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

I was in Lombardy - so not even in the 'boot' of Italy! So I didn't get to Rome on this occassion - hopefully next year. Northern Italy is a beautiful area - the Dolomite mountains, large lakes, very green countryside, hills and valleys covered with vineyards and apple orchards. Beautiful food and wine, friendly people. I did get to Verona, a lovely city, especially the Roman arena and the Castelvaccio museum. All the sidewalks are made from red marble!

I'm ashamed to say that every time I travel overseas my linguistic skills are sadly lacking - and yes, most people speak at least a little English, a large proportion of them are fluent (and in German too!). So I got by OK despite knowing little Italian.

------------------

Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 04:11 AM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

not enough not enough not enough!!!

how many days have you been gone? 2 weeks? huh?

describe more pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! I want to know!

did you say RED MARBLE? side walks? damn! how much covered? or just tiny portion of the sidewalk?

and what about buildings? are they like the ones in US?

what about art?

what about ....ARGGHHH!!

some stories please!

and better yet, pictures!

(**250 thinks he sounds like a spoiled child** )
Old 09-19-2001, 04:45 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

OK OK!!!!

I got my pics developed yesterday, so will scan some later.
I was gone for just 1 week, not long enough really, but all I could manage. I'll post some pictures of some of the Italian style buildings - they are usually about 3 storeys with wooden shutters on the windows and tiled roofs, and painted pastel or bright colours. Further north, there are Austrian style 'chalet' type houses, with pictures and patterns painted on part of the outside walls, balconies covered in red and blue flowers, and steep tiled roofs (so that the snow slides off and doesn't build up on the roof).

Verona is really lovely - the roads themselves in the 'old centre' of the town are cobbled, and all the sidewalks are red marble, sometimes with an edge of white marble at the kerb. The whole sidewalk is marble! They reflect the sun, so shades are a must, and I bet they get slippery when it rains! They look great. I don't know if you like Shakespeare, but Romeo and Juliet was set in Verona. The Montague and Capulet families were real, although Shakespeare changed their names slightly, and took the story of the 'star-crossed lovers' from old folk tales - unfortunately the pair probably did not really exist. However, there is a house in Verona which belonged to the real Capulet family - and it has a courtyard with a balcony! So it is known as Juliet's house, where Shakespeare maybe imagined Juliet to stand for her famous speech.

I was staying in a village on the shore of Lake Garda - it was a pretty place, but a bit touristy, with lots of tacky souvenir shops and hotels offering 'English Breakfast'. Fortunately there were plenty of paths through the old lemon groves to stroll along and admire the countryside. The village is called Limone. I travelled to several of the other towns on the lake by ferry - inluding Malcesine, Riva del Garda, Torbole and Sirmione. Malcesine has a castle which is open to the public and has a great view of the lake and in Riva I went to the museum to see some ancient carved dolmens (standing stones) - yes I have pictures which I'll scan later today! Torbole is where all the windsurfers go - I haven't tried it myself, but it looks fun.

I also went to a town further north called Bolzano. I don't know if you have heard of 'Ötzi' the Iceman? He is a preserved body, who was found in the Alps between Italy and Austria, about 10 years ago. He lived 5,300 years ago, and was almost perfectly preserved, frozen in the ice for all that time, with all his clothes and belongings. Well the body is preserved in the museum at Bolzano, and being interested in archaeology I just had to go. One part of me thinks it is strange to go look at the poor man - he was a human being, after all, but another part of me hopes he would find it funny to be that interesting to the modern world. I think I would like to end up in a museum exhibit in thousands of years time, being the centre of attention! I haven't got a photo of him - I thought I would leave him some dignity.

But other pictures from my trip will be available soon!

------------------

Old 09-19-2001, 05:36 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

Wow Epona, what wonderful stories! You made me recall many fond memories from my own trip to Italy (Tuscany, Garda-lake, the "Swiss" part of Italy etc) a few years ago. I can't wait to see your pictures!! If they're anywhere near as good as the ones you've posted of previous holidays, I'll be very impressed!

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-19-2001, 06:16 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Wow Epona, what wonderful stories! You made me recall many fond memories from my own trip to Italy (Tuscany, Garda-lake, the "Swiss" part of Italy etc) a few years ago. I can't wait to see your pictures!! If they're anywhere near as good as the ones you've posted of previous holidays, I'll be very impressed!

shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Epona! thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! Italy sounds FANTASTIC! glad you had fun!