Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2003, 11:31 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

I'm completely boggled by spells like spell thrust, secret word, breach, ruby ray, wharding whip...you see where I'm going. I mean, back when all you needed was a dispel magic, I was totally on top of my game, But now it's like I have to pause the game once I figure out what the enemy casted and then look up all the protection stripping spells in the manual to find out what I'm supposed to do.

Is there an easy way to deal with this? If so, can someone fill me in. I stopped playing the game like a year ago somewhere around spellhold or underdark because I got tired of the situation. I've forgotten pretty much all of the story since then so I was thinking of going back and trying again.

Also, I'm planning on taking a wild mage through the game. I'd like to dual over to a wild mage if I could, but I don't remember if there is any legit way to do that. Can anyone tell me? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:48 PM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Spells like Breach are used to remove spell protections like Protection from Acid, Elements, Fire/Cold and so on, Secret Word dispels one protection of 8th level or lower, but only one. The Ruby Ray of Reversal will cancel out Minor Spell Turning, Minor Globe Of Invulnerability, Spell Immunity, Globe Of Invulnerability, Minor Spell Deflection, Spell Turning, Spell Shield, Spell Deflection, and Spell Trap. Spell Thrust will dispel all spell protections of 5th level and lower.

Sure, you can take a Wild Mage through the game if you want, supposed to be pretty fun from what I hear. But you can't dual class from or to a Wild Mage. You can only use the Wild Mage class if you have The Throne of Bhaal.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:29 AM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

Why did they have to make the breach/spell thrust/secret word thing so complicated?

Quote:
Sure, you can take a Wild Mage through the game if you want, supposed to be pretty fun from what I hear. But you can't dual class from or to a Wild Mage. You can only use the Wild Mage class if you have The Throne of Bhaal.
Yeah, I had ToB. I played one for a while way back when I was playing the game. I had the most fun with that class. It's too bad I can't dual it.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:36 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Magic was never meant to be easy. If you want to learn more about spells, refer to the Spell Reference Guide. You can find the link in the Forum FAQ.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:54 AM   #5
StarVid
Elminster

Yeah, I've been reading it. It's like I'm learning a new science or something. There's one thing I read that I have a question on.

Quote:
Spellstrike removes all spell protections in one go unless it strikes a Spell Shield, in which case only the Spell Shield is removed.
In this situation, what does one do? Would one cast a secret word to take care of the spell shield, and then a spell strike to remove all other protections? And if that's the case, what's to keep a target that also has a spell trap from immediately casting another spell shield?
Old 03-12-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Spell Shield is a level 5 Wizard spell that absorbs the first counterspell( any counterspell except Dispel/Remove Magic). It is true that an enemy Mage can keep on refreshing it, but then, that would mean he/she is not doing much else either.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
StarVid
Elminster

I suppose that is true...unless they have it in a contingency. I don't remember if you could set a contingency to do that though.

Like I said...good ol' days...only had dispel magic...good times, good times... [img]tongue.gif[/img]