Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Does anybody know the purpose of the file - rundll32.exe??? My PC is acting up a bit lately (especially when I try to play BGII) and when I Restart the computer, this file is ALWAYS active in the background - but is not responding.

I'm having a real problem with my current BGII game and I wonder if this may be part of the reason. Whenever my party goes out after dark and gets attacked by Weimer's Random Attacking Party, my computer screen eventually freezes and I have to hit the Manual Restart button every single time. It is extrememly annoying!!! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

One suggestion by a coworker was to increase the size of my Cache in Windows XP. I've already checked the Config settings in BGII and they are fine...so this sounds reasonable. It just seems that when I get 8-12 characters on the screen doing attacks at the same time, my PC just can't keep up with the action (even though it is only 2 years old and has more than adequate specs to run the game.

One last problem. My home page is constantly being RESET to res://mshp.dll/index.html#37049. I've run Spy Busters, Adaware, AND Hijack This to eliminate the problem. Hijack was the ONLY program that even detected the imbedded software, and it seems incapable of eliminating it. I SCAN and FIX the problem each time...only to have it come right back up the next time I get on the internet.

Any advice, suggestions, or help with ANY of these problems will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Regedit perhaps ?

Or start your PC in the safe mode, and delete the hijacker manually, that usually does the trick.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Regedit perhaps ?

Or start your PC in the safe mode, and delete the hijacker manually, that usually does the trick.
Thanks, johnny, but that isn't my primary concern.

Right now, my biggest concern is how to keep my PC from freezing in the middle of a battle in BGII. How do I increase the Cache for Windows XP?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

right click on my computer, go to properties>advanced>performance>settings>advanced, it should be in there

[ 05-19-2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Dude...Google is a fabulous tool. I did a search on rundll32.exe and learned alot about it, including stuff about a trojan virus that infects it. There were also pointers on accidental deletions of, and specific mentions as to it's job, with references to which Windows version you have.

As for the res://mshp.dll/index.html#37049, it is a spyware that needs to be removed. By google searching, I found on page 1 instructions from two different advisors on how to remove it, step by step. Instead of telling you here, I hoped you would attempt to locate this in google for yourself. See what people say about it and print off a copy of those instructions on how to remove it. It involves opening the regedit. If you follow the steps, you'll be fine.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:12 AM   #6
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Cerek, I have a friend who had the same problem with rundll32.exe. It is a legitimate Windows file that gets overwritten by viruses that are a real pain in the... anatomy... to remove. If you have Norton Antivirus then check with Symantec’s website for detailed instructions on how to remove this bug. Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

rundll32.exe is used by windows to load DLL's into memory to be used by other apps. DON'T DELETE IT!

As for you other problem, here's how to remove it! It's a program called Logical Online Portal(LOP) .Simply go to Start menu/control panel/add/remove programs and look for the above item(Logical Online Portal). When you click on uninstall, it comes back with some gibberish looking 7 digit number it asks you to copy and insert, (checking to make sure you're really a person!). Do that and ,"Voila!",bye-bye LOP!

[ 05-20-2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric

Thanks for all the info. I just decided to put the PC in the shop today and let the professionals do it. I don't really have the time nor adequate knowledge to do it myself.

Plus, I only have 9gb left on my 40gb hard drive, so I needed to upgrade anyway.

Thanks again for all the website suggestions. I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I had a problem with a Trojan in my Rundll.32 ("Second Glance" I think it was) and Spy Sweeper removed it. What the heck are Trojans, anyway? Some kind of virus, or are they spyware?
Old 05-20-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Trojans are virus-likes... kinda. They tend to do bad virusey stuff, but they don't spread'n infect stuff on their own like viruses do. They're diguised as something harmless/useful instead.

IIRC.