Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is next?
A super virus that makes you crap out all of your internal organs 5 12.20%
Military Laser Satilites (Like the one on Golden Eye) 11 26.83%
Mutants on the Battlefield 2 4.88%
Diarreha Gas 7 17.07%
Bullets with a poison that makes you pee out all your blood until you got none left! 4 9.76%
That Flesh-Eating Bacteria finally being used as a weapon! 4 9.76%
Sending Abba on Tour in the Middle East 7 17.07%
A freak accident between a Rail Gun and Metal Storm! 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2003, 05:55 AM   #11
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Speaking of high powered rounds.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

My friend, the P-90.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 11-03-2003, 06:21 AM   #12
Stratos
Vampire

Here's some info on a rail gun project at Auburn University, including what it is and how it works.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #13
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

[quote]Originally posted by Azimaith:
Quote:
It would seem to me as the population on the earth gets larger wars will become more and more common, not only is there a battle for scarce resources but also the clashing of cultures and conflicting interests. War is inevitable so long as populations of people come into contact with one another.
War shall probably not get more common, just more destructive. War was more common when settlements were sparse and technology was crude. Bronze-Age Greek tribes would war with each other on a yearly summer-seasonal basis. War was a necessity just to get the resources needed to keep their settlements going (cattle, weapons and land were the usual prizes for victory). The thing is though, due to the technology used and the tactics employed, each campaign only cost a few hundred lives at the very most. It was more a case of territorial boundary-setting as opposed to the modern idea of ideological competition and extermination (waging war to protect people's freedom, what kind of bulls**t is that?).

The problem with modern technology is that it has given our species, our tiny, fragile, 'no-more-important-than-any-other-species' species the ability to destroy everything. Not just the power to destroy members of our own species, not just the power to destroy the buildings and cities that we huddle ourselves together in, but all living things, from the heights of the mountains to the depths of the sea. This is a bad situation to be in. Favourable conditions on our planet have fostered our animal species (which is still largely governed by aggressive survival instincts), and given us the opportunity to develope the power to destroy the fragile systems that gave us life. Very very dodgy indeed...

[ 11-03-2003, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 11-03-2003, 07:55 AM   #14
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Speaking of high powered rounds.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

My friend, the P-90.

Fallout 2 madness [img]tongue.gif[/img]

What was that blocky super-gun called again? That one was massive too. Or the Pancor Jackhammer in Max Payne 1, that one rocked in bullettime [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Wars are a product of human intolerance and stupidity. Religion (islam) is one of the greatest reasons why wars rage on this planet. Power-hungry fanatics (hitler) are another. World-leaders who have a statement and are willing to simply out them to the rest of the world, don't nescessarily go to war over it. It's more the rubbing-against-the-feathers that produces war, disputes over meaningless subjects.

A gun that fires 1.000.000 rounds per minute would need (*GASP*) 1.000.000 rounds X times to take down multiple targets, if fired sequentially. That means holding an ammo supply the size and weight of an elephant [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I think that high-velocity weapons such as the railgun DO kill people in one shot. Like Quake 2, KE-SPLATT!!! Lasers have the same effect, only slowed because their speed is even greater. Let's find out people
Old 11-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #15
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Azi, why do you always sound like you have a bone to pick when you're correcting someone? Calm down and stop being so aggresive.

[ 11-03-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 11-03-2003, 12:07 PM   #16
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Lies! The next weapon will be *gasp & drum roll* THE LIGHT SABRE! Or failing that - METAL GEAR SOLID REX! (and no, I'm not being serious). If you want a serious opinion, I would say that some jerk will go ahead with the Star Wars project, or Son of Starwars or whatever they're currently calling it.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #17
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Azi, why do you always sound like you have a bone to pick when you're correcting someone? Calm down and stop being so aggresive.
How do you come by that? He's making a rebuttal against your arguement, and you're taking it as a personal attack. Maybe you need to calm down.

Just remember: we're all friends here [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #18
Rokenn
Galvatron

Metalstorm article on CNN

They have weapons ranging from handguns to million round a minute tripod model to 16 barrel granade launching systems.

Their website http://www.metalstorm.com/ has some cool videos of test firings.

[ 11-03-2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 11-03-2003, 05:15 PM   #19
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Sorry, I seem to be a bit over reactive Nano. It's just that when the first words in someones response read, "Scuse me?". It sounds like they're trying to get on your case. As if you slapped them in the face with a handy insult and they are trying to hit back harder. That's at least what it seems like to me.

Again, my sincere apologies if I'm the one being over-sensitive.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 11-03-2003, 05:24 PM   #20
Azimaith
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by Azimaith:
[qb]
Quote:
It would seem to me as the population on the earth gets larger wars will become more and more common, not only is there a battle for scarce resources but also the clashing of cultures and conflicting interests. War is inevitable so long as populations of people come into contact with one another.
War shall probably not get more common, just more destructive. War was more common when settlements were sparse and technology was crude. Bronze-Age Greek tribes would war with each other on a yearly summer-seasonal basis. War was a necessity just to get the resources needed to keep their settlements going (cattle, weapons and land were the usual prizes for victory). The thing is though, due to the technology used and the tactics employed, each campaign only cost a few hundred lives at the very most. It was more a case of territorial boundary-setting as opposed to the modern idea of ideological competition and extermination (waging war to protect people's freedom, what kind of bulls**t is that?).
Yeah I mean like,going to fight Hitler during the Holucast, what bull, we all know the Jews were having the time of their life in 5 star concentration camps where they enjoyed nerve gassings and machine gun acupuncture. And Korea! Even stupider, just because south korea, the side we just happened to be fighting for, became a productive stable country and north korea became a destitute hell hole doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the fact with the war. Naturally the South Koreans just decided communism was no good for them and didn't fight at all since we all know that we can't fight to protect peoples freedom. Wait, what about the stupidest hypocrasy of them all! Thats right folks, the Gulf War, I mean, to repel Saddam all Kuwait had to do was say "sorry saddam old chap, we don't want to become your territory giving you an oil monopoly!" it had nothing to do with the fact we annhilated Saddams fighting force that caused him to conditionally surrender. You obviously must be right that you can't wage wars to protect a peoples freedom, complete and utter bull.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>