Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

I've been seeing a lady now, for about 6 months. Three weeks ago it was her birthday, and I got her a new car.

Everything was good until yesterday, and now she's complaining about the color, and wants one that is yellow as opposed to red. To put it bluntly, she's sulking because it's not her favourite colour and wants me to get her one that is yellow.

Now, if someone buys me a gift, the last thing I do is bitch and moan because it's not my favourite colour. I'm thinking, that I need to end this relationship, because it's now about money as opposed to actual feelings.

Am I wrong? What would you guys do?
Old 07-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
aleph_null

You bought her a CAR? After only six months?

I've been seeing my girl for nearly four years now, during two of which we lived together, and the biggest thing I've ever gotten her is a ring w/a little saphire in it...

... and the biggest thing I've ever gotten is an Alienware machine

It could be my chauvanist side (which she claims I have), but if I bought someone a CAR and there were any complaints, I'd be more than a little offended.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

It's not about the gift itself. Cashflow isn't an issue.

Whether it be a car, a computer, a ring, or a card for that matter, a gift is a gift.

Let me put it this way. If your girl knew that you could afford a diamond ring, but only got her a saphire ring would she complain about it?
Old 07-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
aleph_null

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
If your girl knew that you could afford a diamond ring, but only got her a saphire ring would she complain about it?
No. But keep in mind that after four years we act like we're married, just without the legal hassles...

... but in the same vein, if I could afford a diamond I probably would give her one. I don't think money would change us, but I'm actually none too eager to find out.

Old 07-03-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

[img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] my husband has not even bought me a CAR and we have been married for 6 years, you should look at why she is like that, if if she keeps it up, you might not want to spend any more time in the relationship, but that is just my thoughts
Old 07-03-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I'm like the rest, i.e., you got her a CAR?! And she's not even your wife, just your girlfriend? Wow that in and of itself is BIG, it is incomprehensible to me that anyone would actually gripe about it in any way! O.M.G.

OK, on the flipside, ignoring the expense of the gift, I'd still say the same thing. It is totally crap for anyone to complain about a gift given to them. I mean, I can see like if maybe hubby made NO effort or something, bought you socks from the grocery store LOL. But anyone who takes the time out to think of a nice gift for someone else should be appreciated, whether you actually like the gift or not. And the color is something so petty to gripe about, along with those who gripe because it isn't the right "brand name." In my life I've been given many gifts from family that I did not like, heck some I hated, but I always accepted them with grace and thanks, and appreciated the time and effort put toward me to get me a gift, even if they may have been misguided as to my tastes. I've even gone so far as to wear clothing that I received from family and did not like when visiting said family at another time, just to make the person who bought it feel nice. I dunno, I'm just always very appreciative when people do things for me, and I think that is the way it should be with everyone.

I'll refrain from saying anymore, less I get catty re your girlfriend LOL.

[ 07-03-2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

If she doesn't like it, can I have it? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Wow, six months and you got her a car? You got a big heart there Animal. But I'm with everyone else on this issue, complaining about the color is just a petty thing, because, you know, it's a car. Even if I don't enjoy a certain aspect of a gift, I still try and enjoy the gift anyway so the other person can be appreciated at least.

In my opinion here Animal, if this does keep up, I've got a feeling that she might want other things along the line.

Cheers buddy
Old 07-03-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Give her the phone number of the local spray paint guys and while she is taking it to get resprayed (at her expense) Just dump all her belongings onto the back seat and tell her that you hope the new colour scheme is what she wants out of life, close the front door on her and never open it to her again. Life is to short to waste time with an air head.

Some say i'm hard ... well hard ... but fair [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-03-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Animal, I think you've got to ask yourself the question....

Does she want to be with me for:-

a) Me

b) The things I give her

If, on mature reflection, it's b) cut your losses and move on

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 07-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Give her the phone number of the local spray paint guys and while she is taking it to get resprayed (at her expense) Just dump all her belongings onto the back seat and tell her that you hope the new colour scheme is what she wants out of life, close the front door on her and never open it to her again. Life is to short to waste time with an air head.

Some say i'm hard ... well hard ... but fair [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Welcome to Dumpville, population: you.

[img]smile.gif[/img]