Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 01-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
Sinteuil
The Magister

I just had some horrendous luck up at AP with those Djinnis of the Cloud! My party is all between level 23-25, so as far as I know it shouldn't have been a problem. My level 24 priest, who I had just turned into a lord had the worst time of all against the death clouds. I believe he died at least four times! What strikes me as odd about this is that my rogue who has lower vitality and much weaker magic resistance has never died in the game, while this new lord of mine has iron will of 60, higher vitality, and significantly higher magic resistances. Is he being picked on for being a gnome or is it because he's still a novice as a lord? I saved, so I may try the battle again giving him a shield of winds or something... Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do all the obvious things like try to cast purify air and keep all the buffs up, but was to no avail this time! Just wondering if anyone else has noticed what seems like some odd death cloud irregularities/mysteries!
To be born in imbecility amid pain and cries, to be the plaything of ignorance, error, want, illnesses, malice, and the passions; to pursue a return to imbecility from the moment one first stammers to the moment one drivels; to live among worthless people and charlatans of all sorts, to fade away surrounded by one man who takes your pulse and another who bothers your head; not to know from whence one comes, why one has come, where one goes -- that is what people call the greatest gift our parents and nature have given us: life. - Denis Diderot
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Just maybe the Lord's Air resistance was over the wrap-around? (though that's really hard to do)
Or you just had a bunch of bad rolls...
Usually if i have Magic Screen and Element Shield up to PL7 that suffices, even with just CMC'c on.
Being a novice Lord is irrelevant here, your total Character Level is what counts vis-s-vis magic resistance.
I like to start that battle by slipping up as close as i can with the boulder between me and the Djinn, then ducking back again so they have to approach, and i get to cast my protections/Supe/whatever, and get them in Short range ASAP. Once they're close enough, they'll swing more often than cast, which helps the cloud situation a lot.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

I had a Lvl 45 Lord with Magic Screen and Elemental Shield up, high resistances etc, and still got insta-killed by a spell, so as Scatter says, could be just a bad-roll (happens even at super-high levels), mind you, four times in one battle is some mighty bad luck, so I'd suspect a wrap-around too.

Stick with, AP does get to be alot of fun soon enough.

Edit: What version of Wiz8 are you running? I recall there was a bug with one of the cloud spells in the earlier releases (think it was toxic cloud, but might be others?), if you're running the latest version, it should show "v1.2.4" in the rop-right corner of the main menu, otherwise, recommend get the patch (if you're CDs have this number printed on them, then they already have the patch applied for you).

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-11-2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Wolfie ]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
Sinteuil
The Magister

It doesn't appear to be a wrap-around issue. The only items he's using with air resistance are infinity helm and cloak of many colours. I'm running the current patch so that's not the issue either. Tried again and gave him the shield of winds and that seems to have worked wonders! He didn't die a single time. Also tried Scatter's trick with the cliff and that helped a great deal too! Instead the deaths went to my rogue (first death for her!) and psionic (what else is new?). Next time I'm thinking of getting shield of winds or ring of breezes for everyone just for this battle because it seems to have made such a difference. Thanks for helping me clear this up (what a bad pun!).

[ 01-12-2005, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Sinteuil ]
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote