Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2001, 05:52 AM   #1
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

OK, I'm down in the sewrs where the Mind Flayers are and these things are kicking my arse! What are the best tactics for beating these and what items should I equip or spells should I cast. My party is:

Kensai PC
Minsc
Jan
Haer'Dalis
Valygar
Viconia

They are all around level 15 and are equipped very well But the minute I walk into the room I just lose control of pretty much every character before they start hacking each other up and getting pummeled by the flayers.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:01 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Get Jan and Viconia to cast Raise Undead if they can, the skeletons are immuned to the Mind Flayers Psionics and can tank for you.

Viconia can also cast Chaotic Command to protect your party members.

Be careful if you want to melee the Mind Flayers, or they will brain-drain you to death.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 07-26-2001, 11:08 AM   #3
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Do you have a two handed warrior? Then just equip the arbanes sword and the helmet of charm protection. This will render you immune to their stun and charm abilities. As for their intelligence drain, just gulp down some potions of genius. If you wait until their intelligence drain wears off you should, you won't die at all.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:17 PM   #4
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Very cheesy tactic. Cast invisibility, drink potion with same name. Cast choatic commands on one or two people with long range weapons (ie bows and the like). March your invisible character to the door so that it blocks the path to the other room. Have another character (who has boots of speed or has gulped oil of speed) to get the attention of the flayers. Run back past your blocker and let your archers lay down arrows. If you do it right nobody will get hurt.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
Old 08-09-2001, 11:32 PM   #5
Tananda
Elminster

Here is tactics I've used (not the best, but working):
Cast Chaotic Commands on one character, equip him with a bow, nice arrows (of piercing, f.e., or +2) and Boots of Speed. Leave the party somewhere aside and go to MindFlayers with this lonely character. Then do a lot of shooting&running around. When Mind Flayers are dead, the hero can kill Umber Hulk (there are usually a couple of them with MindFlayers) with melee weapon.
Whatever tactics you choose, I hope you will destroy all of those beasties soon and successfully!

------------------
Tanda,
with best regards from Guild of Assassins
Old 08-10-2001, 03:29 AM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Cast cloudkill into the room they are in (with an improved invisibled character) then shut the door. The cloudkill will kill the Umberhulks pretty quickly, and damage the mind flayers some. Then you can either repeat, or you can charge in with your hasted tanks to make minced (mindflayer) meat .
To protect your characters, either cast chaotic commands or have them drink a potion of clarity or a brine potion if you have any. Or have them wear/use any item that grants protection from charm, confusion etc. Sending in summoned critters will work too, especially invisible stalkers.
Oh, and don't forget to save each time you clear a room.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 08-10-2001, 03:18 PM   #7
Tuor
Elminster

Get your cleric cast blade barrier, chaotic commands on him, drink potions of genius to get your intelligence up then enter the room, hack the nasty little buggers to death while your archers shoot arrows from the doorways protected by a rank of undead..
Old 08-10-2001, 03:46 PM   #8
Cleric 2
Manshoon

Our make your Cleric invisble and cast blade barrier, let him summon undead
Cast Entagle, firball, cloud kill, blast fire ball, cone of cold our spells like that, and they die

Old 08-10-2001, 09:15 PM   #9
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Mordenkainens sword is great on them if you have it. they simply can't damage it and it tears them up while you sit in the other room. Only downside is its short duration. Skeletons and invisibile stalkers are nice to send in with your mordenkainens sword and maybe do some distance attacks with guys that have chaotic commands on them.
Old 08-11-2001, 01:47 AM   #10
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

This is how I did it...it requires much patience, an improved invisibility spell, and a character who can set traps, so it might not help you much, but here it goes anyhoo:

Have the thief set as many snares as possible all along the corridor, even if it means resting for no reason other than to allow him to set more.

After the snares are set, make a character, preferably one with a ranged weapon improved invisible. Get all your non-invisible party members out of sight of the doors, then have the invisible one waltz over and open the door...the mind flayers and umber hulks will start trying to chase him or her down the trapped corridors. If not all of them chased the char, then have the still-invisible guy go back and close the door to the room they're in, then set traps again.

It took me a long time, but I killed all the mind flayers without losing a single party member.