Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #331
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
I agree with johnny but only half. You could say the same thing for the Italians becuase of their "Catenaccio" tactic. It may be boring, it may destructive but it brings some kind of result as we all saw yesterday. I also prefer more attacking football like Portugese/Brasil/Holland has it but you can`t have everything.
Well, i don't like defensive football. I can't believe the Italians put up with that type of play, and pay so much money for a ticket to see 22 guys trying to prevent eachother from scoring, instead of trying to actually make a goal themselves. I love football, and i have Canal+, a paychannel that broadcasts live matches from the Dutch, German, British, Spanish, and Italian leagues, and i watch most of them, except for the Italian ones. They are too awful to watch, and despite of all those stars in that league, it's the least interresting league in Europe in my point of view.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:19 AM   #332
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
It's because of the way they play Memnoch, Greece will have trouble filling stadiums outside of Greece with that type of play. If people want to sleep, they much rather do it in their own beds.

The way the Czechs were playing, was a pleasure to watch for everyone who respects the game of football, Greece's style of play is destructive, boring and ugly. It's too bad that every once in a while countries who play that style get rewarded for it. It will only mean that in the future more countries are gonna try to play like this, because it might pay off, and that's not something this game needs.
I can understand that - a lot of people said that about the way England won the Rugby World Cup, that their victory was a victory for boring, 10-man rugby bereft of any back play whatsoever - they relied on retaining possession and kicking penalties and field goals. Australia, France and NZ play a much wider and attacking game, NZ the most attacking and entertaining of all. Interesting that for all their attacking play the last time the All Blacks won the RWC was in 1987, and France have yet to win. Australia have won two, but that's because we know how to defend as well as attack.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point from a purist's point of view, and I love positive play in any sporting code, who doesn't. But a wise old basketballer named Magic Johnson once said: "Offence wins games, but defence...defence wins championships." There's more than a ring of truth in that, eh.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:21 AM   #333
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Greece won.

I think that Czechs had to win. Baaad luck.

Greece =Bunker.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #334
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I give you that Memnoch, but basketball and football are two completely different worlds. In basketball, playing tight defense is almost considered art. I don't know if you keep track of the NBA, but this year's finals between the Lakers and the Pistons was a gem of a series. The ultimate underdog totally humiliated the most flashy team in the league, by completely shutting their scorers down on the defensive end of the floor. It was magnificent to watch, well worth all the nights of sleep it cost me.

But that doesn't go for football. If you're watching two teams who dont wanna go on the offensive, you might as well go do something else, because it's a complete waste of time watching it any further, it's depressing almost. Overhere, if Ajax wins a match, with let's say 1-0, and they were with their backs against the wall most of the time, you'd expect the fans to be relieved and happy with the result afterwards, right ? Wrong, the fans will boo them every step when they're walking off the pitch after the game. That type of play is simply not appreciated here. Sometimes i have a feeling that we (the Dutch) much rather play good football and lose, than play uglyball and win. That's probably also the reason why we always fall short with the finals in sight, but that's just the way it is.

[ 07-02-2004, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 07-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #335
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yep, you Dutch sound exactly like the All Blacks in rugby. Or the Frogs.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #336
Link
Jack Burton

I recall someone (*cough*me*cough*) predicting the Czechs would have a hard time with the Greeks. Seems I was right after all, huh [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #337
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

well well, lets hope that Portugal also have a hard time against the Greeks.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #338
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I recall someone (*cough*me*cough*) predicting the Czechs would have a hard time with the Greeks. Seems I was right after all, huh [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Apparently everyone has a hard time with the Greeks, they must have put some extra pepper on their souflaki's.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:24 AM   #339
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:

I just hope he wisens up with Portugal... they could give *us* a beating... (okay am trying hard but am not Dutch... hahaha)
Mate, nothing wrong with adopting a team. Though I thought you'd be cheering for Spain...you've got Spanish blood, right? [/QUOTE]Hmm Well... if you are speaking colonization wise... err yes I think. But then I suppose I have more Chinese blood than Spanish because of my family name. But for the true mix I am not sure. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[/QUOTE]Sorry mate - I thought you were part-Spanish (mestizo) for some reason.
[/QUOTE]Wow I feel like I am a very good-looking person... ehrm... I bet you got that inference from history eh? haha
Old 07-03-2004, 04:34 AM   #340
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I give you that Memnoch, but basketball and football are two completely different worlds. In basketball, playing tight defense is almost considered art. I don't know if you keep track of the NBA, but this year's finals between the Lakers and the Pistons was a gem of a series. The ultimate underdog totally humiliated the most flashy team in the league, by completely shutting their scorers down on the defensive end of the floor. It was magnificent to watch, well worth all the nights of sleep it cost me.

But that doesn't go for football. If you're watching two teams who dont wanna go on the offensive, you might as well go do something else, because it's a complete waste of time watching it any further, it's depressing almost. Overhere, if Ajax wins a match, with let's say 1-0, and they were with their backs against the wall most of the time, you'd expect the fans to be relieved and happy with the result afterwards, right ? Wrong, the fans will boo them every step when they're walking off the pitch after the game. That type of play is simply not appreciated here. Sometimes i have a feeling that we (the Dutch) much rather play good football and lose, than play uglyball and win. That's probably also the reason why we always fall short with the finals in sight, but that's just the way it is.
bingo right there johnny.

Baseball is pretty much interesting also with great defense. If the pitcher is pitching the lights out, it's really fun to watch, that is if you are rooting for them. But if you are on the other side, it gets pretty frustrating too. Hockey to me is similar to soccer. It's a pain in the ass to watch because most of the time the ball is just on the middle of the field; not to mention that when you thought the guy gets a breakaway it ends up being offside or it's a lame shot.

Usually what happens is that I switch channels... and unfortunately when I go back to it one team has scored. Wow. And I switched only for a second there... yay