Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 12:02 PM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Are we being overloaded with information, and do we have the capacity to withstand it? I am at home today and have CNBC on while posting...and it got me to think. We seem to be reaching a peak of information accessability. Not to long ago, the information we had (and needed to know) was so much less. It allowed a greater focus of the mind. Now we are bombarded constantly with information. We have instant access to almost anything through the internet, TV, newspaper, radio, magazines. We have so many more things that we need to know just to function. It may seem trivial, but everything takes up 'brain' space so to speak. Think about all the passwords you have memorized, or phone numbers, web addresses, directions to work, home, shopping center, friends house. Knowledge to run the VCR, TV, oven, computer...along these lines of bombardment, we are also so much more aware of our surroundings. We know what is going on in the world...and rarely is it ever good news. Is this informaion overload a cause of the increased depression rates? Is it a cause of the increased 'anger' that so many people feel? Is it a cause of people becoming so much more 'isolated' in an attempt to escape?

I realize that along with these negatives there are also the obvious benefits, but are the negatives of too much information starting to outweigh the benefits?

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-06-2001, 12:09 PM   #2
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I have another thing to add to the list which most of you grown-ups probably haven't considered yet : school. Basically, I am getting the impression that we are supposed to be learning as many things that we might use in life as possible. I mean, most of us will never need to know how a transistor works again, or be able to explain how exactly a microscope works, or prove the existence of pi, or explain why the Thirty Year's War took place, or tell the difference between an apposition and an attribute, or...

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-06-2001, 12:18 PM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
I have another thing to add to the list which most of you grown-ups probably haven't considered yet : school. Basically, I am getting the impression that we are supposed to be learning as many things that we might use in life as possible. I mean, most of us will never need to know how a transistor works again, or be able to explain how exactly a microscope works, or prove the existence of pi, or explain why the Thirty Year's War took place, or tell the difference between an apposition and an attribute, or...

Very true Kaz

Not too long ago the only things taught in school were the basics: reading, writing, and arithmatic...now we have deviated so much from these basic teachings that we are graduting students that cannot spell or do simple math!

It just goes to reitterate the problem. With so much information out there we have gotten away from the basics. We have people in Minnesota (landlocked) that are spending their time and energy worrying about the shark attacks in Florida, but are ignoring the fact that their kids are failing in school (true case of a co-worker of mine )

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 09-06-2001).]
Old 09-06-2001, 12:21 PM   #4
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Some of the things we learn will be useful somehow, and many will be useful to people who pursue a special career in the future, but most of it is JUST PLAIN USELESS. Luckily, we get to start choosing our subjects in 11th grade, and in 12th and 13th you really cut it down to mainly those subjects which you will NEED in your later life.

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-07-2001, 01:12 AM   #5
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
THe school thing can also be good. It inspires kids to take a career in somthing. All the stuff you dont really need to know can come in handy for some kids down the road.

But most public shcools present this in the wrong fashion

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Currently in service for the Red Wizards