Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
egfisher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have beetent the trolls in the basment of the castle. This is Nallais quest in level two. I can't get the umber hulks to go for the dog stew and they always charm me and kill me. I am a level 8 Ranger and I have Misc, Nallai, Yoshimo, Arie, and Anomen. Please give me some hints or tell were these dog bones are?
egfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:01 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

give nalia the spell cloudkill. Kills them in 2 seconds flat and you can just point and laugh over their dead bodies!!!!
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:01 PM   #3
fable
Quintesson

Charm? I've never had Umber Hulks charm a party member--stun 'em, yes.

In any case, depending upon whom you have in your party, you can always try sending someone invisible into the room with a wand that casts clouds at 'em. Run like hell afterwards, or at least, wear a pair of boots of speed (if you've got 'em, too).
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:16 PM   #4
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by egfisher:
I have beetent the trolls in the basment of the castle. This is Nallais quest in level two. I can't get the umber hulks to go for the dog stew and they always charm me and kill me. I am a level 8 Ranger and I have Misc, Nallai, Yoshimo, Arie, and Anomen. Please give me some hints or tell were these dog bones are?
Umber Hulks don't charm you but have a confusion attack. This is not a spell but an ability. IIRC, this is because of the confusing patterns in their eyes. As the others said, cloudkill is the easiest method, especially if you cast it "blind" into the room where they are located. Then let the caster retreat fast from the door and let your tanks be ready, since sometimes one or two survive.
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 12:56 PM   #5
Foo
Dungeon Master

You could have Aerie and/or Anomen cast 'Chaotic Commands' on one or two of your fighters, and then send them after the Hulks. Chaotic Commands protects from all sorts of mind-control spells/effects, and will help you defeat the Hulks.

This spell is useful against many other foes as well...
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:17 PM   #6
vicster5
Welcomed New User

Hi there

I had problems with the Umber dudes too.
Following advice from this forum I had Yosh hide in the shadow with the dog stew and sneak by the hulks to the hallway on the left of the screen this leads to a hallway with a bunch of the empty cells.

The cell in the northwest corner has an area where there are BONES, this shows you where to place the dog stew. Drop it there.
Then get Yosh out of the way, double back to the main room, and being a chicken I shut the door to the corridor so the hulks won't come back to wack me.

Now you're ready to go to the door to the right where you have to fight the big bad troll dude.

Good luck!
~vicster5
vicster5 is offline   Reply With Quote