Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Or something similar, at least. I went to bed at 2am last night crying, angry, and shaking. The second my head hit the pillow I felt my stomach shift. You always know when you're going to be sick it seems...in my case I get bad chills and goosebumps, my mouth waters insanely, and I get a brief lapse in my senses.

The first thought that popped into my head was 'you are so not throwing up!'. Well this thought has held true even now. I didn't throw up, but in return I haven't slept at all because if I lie on my side while I feel like this, I'm done for. I've been shuddering and shivering violently, and I'm starting to think that if I just do throw up then I'll feel better and can go to sleep. I did down half a Dr. Pepper last night because I heard carbonation helps upset tummies, and amazingly it's been helping.

I don't think its anything I ate because my mom ate the same and she's fine. She thought maybe I was coming down with something, which might be right, or it might be stress, I dunno.

She's bringing me back some Peptol Bismol for me as I type. Any suggestions you guys have that might help my tummie settle would be great, because it's still roiling, even with the carbonation. And no eating please, chewing will make me worse [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I really hate that... Try some ginger tea, it soothes the stomach. Even ginger ale helps somewhat... Electrolytes are good for you.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Oooh, I remember the doc telling my mom when she got a stomach flu to drink gatoraide cause it has electrolytes...ty!
Old 03-24-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wow... that stinks.

A couple of tried-and-true folk remedies...

Seven-up (that carbonation thing, but less sugar)
Plain toast (maybe with something on it)
Saltine crackers

Boring and bland is the key for food until it passes. And sometimes, that one good hurl can be well worth it...

Here's to a more peaceful night tonight [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well once your stomach has settled down, dont eat anything "food" for awhile. just stay on a banana, toast bread diet for a day or two to let your stomach rest.

note: its also a good way to lose weight

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-24-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was falling asleep in class the other day when this chapter was in discussion, but from what I remember...

Carbonation helps the stomach feel better in times like this because it causes the matter in the stomach to be pushed through to the small intestine faster than normal. However, the caffiene in the soft drink was also causing you to not feel as good as you could have. Carbonated clear liquids are the best when doing what you were trying to do.

Without knowing what you had eaten before bed and also what else might be wrong that would remain hidden without an examination is too extensive to go further in this post. I don't want to guess wrong of course, but let it suffice to say that I am 28 years old and sometimes when I have a large sum of chocolate before going to bed, it causes acid reflux, and that feels like freaking hell. It sometimes feels like a vomit-related illness. To prevent that, I do not eat anything with caffiene in it at least four hours prior to sleep.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hmm, well I regurally have some kind of caffine before bed and its never bugged me before. Last night was an exception though since I didnt have any [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I am feeling better. Mom brought my peptol bismol and...a banana . I felt better and hour later and decided it was ok to eat my chocolate cream cheese muffin i had got yesterday for breakfast. Still feeling ok...stomachs a little tender but nothing i cant deal with. Soup for dinner tonight

Hark...i'm 117lbs, I don't need to lose anymore weight
Old 03-24-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Oh yeah, I remember...Caffiene weakens the flap seperating the esophagus and the stomach, and only the stomach has the ability to handle the high acidity of that substance in there...it ranks just under battery acid in potency, so when laying down, the acid can creep into your esophagus and burn it, causing irritation. Years of this can lead to cancer in that tube.

You are young now, but in ten more years you will start suffering from your choices.

Also, caffiene affects the intake of calcium in your body, and the calcium you take in now is very important. By age 30, if you have not taken in enough for your body to have the right amount banked away, osteoperosis will be the result. Women who take in caffiene regularly are setting themselves up for old age with pain.

It is amazing what I have been learning in Nutrition class. They should teach this earlier than college, because by then habits are well established and harder to break.