Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Here's an interesting read I found, comparing Wheel of Time to some popular series of fantasies, like Lord of the Ring, A Song of Ice and Fire etc. and I thought I'd post it.

I agree with some of what he's saying, I disagree with some. It's true that WoT is too stretched and there's not enough happening. I think some characters should have had their own parallel books, so that plot could have moved faster in each. It's true that it's heavily based on LOTR, but one part I like with WOT over LOTR is the soap opera drama. I admit it, I'm a fan of soap opera drama, one reason I never really managed to get into the LOTR novels but love WOT and A Song of Ice and Fire.

Well his page is a good read, if you're in a WOT bashing mood, which I am right now. So take a look, it's fun.

Edit: Omg, not only does the guy has an Anti WOT page, he got an Anti Sword of Truth one too, two for the price of one, now THAT's entertainment. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-07-2006, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 09-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

that guy who made those anti-website does indeed he has too much time on his hands.. sheesh.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

I'm a big fan of the belgariad, how does WoT compair to that?
I just picked up the first 11 books for 99p each, I think it will take me a while to get through them.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

David eddings is a good author [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

No idea about belgariad, but personally I really like WOT. Sure it's long and does stretch on sometimes, but I really like the characters and their interactions. This is the best escapism series ever. You want to forget about real life for a while? Then read those, you'll get to live in a whole new world, and like you said, there's a long way to go before you have to come back.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
Target
Red Dragon

I think I'll start book 1 when I finish my current book. You shold also read the Belgariad, it's also a great series.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah well I have a lot on my plate already, but David Eddings seem to have a good reputation so he's on my list, I just don't know when I'll get to him.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
I like Eddings books. I went through the Belgariad, Mallorean, and the Elenium back in high school and enjoyed them. Belgarath the Sorceror and Polgara the Sorceress are great reads once you've gone through the Belgariad and Mallorean.

I am also a fan of WOT, but I would like to see more of Rand in upcoming books. Was it Crossroads of Twilight that almost forgot to include him?

The other two authors I really recommend are Dennis McKiernan--he does draw on LoTR, but I like how he discusses some philosophical issues during each book (fate, definition of evil, etc.)

The other one is Peter Hamilton if you like space operas. He has interesting characters and a well-thought out sci-fi setting.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

There isn't enough good space operas as far as I'm concerned, I'll have to check out Peter Hamilton.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Space operas? Try 'The Risen Empire', by Scott Westerfield. I recently bought it in England, and it's hard to put down. The Conquerers Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is also a brilliant read. A beautifully written story with a few nice twists.
You may or may not like the Saga of The Seven Suns (incidentely, seven books) by Kevin J. Anderson. It lacks depth, but it makes for a nice read.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote