Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Just got my degree audit completed and IF I maintain my current class load, and IF I maintain grades graduation will follow next June, IF the forces remain in my favor! My final project will be a high end dual purpose rig capable of current market as well as providing an amplitude for futures. I morphed over to Alienware and checked there superior product. Then checked out some other high end rigs at Falcon, CyberPower and a few others for comparison. Then I went over to Tom's where I put it all together. Then priced it out at my favorite on-line shop.

So I can spend close to my initial $1k on a 'cringe' processor other than AMD, that is the current top dawg. Or, I could spend just over $200 for an AMD that only rates minuscule comparison points below the top seat! Yet outperforms it in the dual class chart.

CPU will be, unless superior circumstances alter my decision, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000. Or, whatever is available in the Spring.

This rig, which was the last rig I built, if you recall was the Fall of 03. At that time things were volatile, but not as horrendous as the current market. This leads into video cards:

Here is where I need opinions:
Dual cards other than ATI, whatever that other brand is that makes the 8800. Yes, I cringe as I type this, but I will retire the ATI brand/chip-set for this build. It's been an interesting ten years, full of surprises, mixed with aggravation as well as awesome moments, never a dull moment, but it seems when the os from Redmond is not loaded, there are zero issues!

1. Dual 8800GTS @ $949 for the pair. 640MB, 580core, 1800memory.
2. Single 8800Ultra factory enhanced @ $729. 768MB, 655core, 2250memory.

I cannot grasp this. So am asking for you guys to enlighten me here. Yes I have a budget, NO I can't do both ultra cards.

Additionally, the only salvageable parts from this rig is the: case, monitor, track ball mouse,(you just cannot find these anymore) and surge protector. As I just rotated the keyboard, my wonderful keyboard with 135 control buttons, a few worn keys, and three continents worth of dust, was QC'd in 1998. Maybe a new one is in order as well, so surely cannot afford the twin Ultras now!

That means a total build minus the few items from above.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thats what you call a budget? lol omg! I am already sorting out my own budget for my own computer and its just 50% of yours! heh

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I know how you feel about the whole ATI vs Nvidia thing, even I'm considering switching back to the green guys!

In regards to the Dual cards vs the single card, I would suggest going with the dual cards, the 8800 is already a damn fine card, and two of them seem to slightly beat the Ultra card in most benchmarks.

However dual cards still don't "Double" the power in any situation, but it does make a noticeable difference

Looking at the benchmarks at Tom's hardware:
8800GTX
8800GTS SLI

Show that the SLI combo is slightly ahead... But benchmarks are always different, and I'd imagine you will mainly be running an OS other than Microsoft so who knows as I'm not familiar with how well the drivers are running outside of MS nowadays...

Sooooo, basically, you can go with the dual cards and look cool and feel cool owning two, or you can get the Ultra card and feel cool and potentially add another one in the future.

Always a hard decision, but all in all both are good choices with long term benefits.

Personally I would choose the Ultra card and spend a few extra bucks on a keyboard or something.

Hope that helps! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

It's not worth getting the Ultra's unless you've got spare money. Get the GTX's as they are by far the best bang per buck.

Edit: It's actually probably best to just get a single GTX at the moment, as you really don't need the extra one (what size screen do you have?). Also that allows you to get a better Intel motherboard (presuming you buy an intel).

As for the AMD vs. Intel, why on earth would you go with AMD just now? Seems silly.

You can get an Intel E6600 for the same price as the AMD X2 6000. The E6600 is far better and will clock up to ~3 - 3.6ghz no bother. This will rip the 6000 apart.

[ 06-27-2007, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]
Old 06-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Zebodog

Reasons to choose 8800 in SLI:

1.) You have a huge LCD (26"+) and really like to game
2.) You are overcompensating for something and like to brag about how big your benchmark score is.

Reasons to choose Intel over ATI:

1.)You run a lot of multi threaded apps.

With the exception of my old MOSS Cpu in my VIC-20, or that incident a few years back with the Celeron 533 (In my own defense, I was drunk so it doesn't really count!) I've always had AMD, and likely will for the forseeably future.

A speed contest at this point between AMD and Intel is akin to a speed contest between an Ferrari F40 and a McLaren F1 through downtown Manhatten at 3:00pm on a Friday.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Tanks guys, good stuff here. But as far as budgeting, this is a budget rig.

Ross; You are onto something. I run a single screen, 22" digital LCD. Also, this is a futures rig, projected build Spring graduation project, 2008.

Additionally, in my type of computing environment, the AMD still outperforms the E6600 in more than 50% of ALL benchmarks I check. When the E6600 is ahead, again it is only a negligible difference. I'm a die-hard AMD, MSI nVidia driver setup kinda person. It would take more than just a few words of ridicule to even spark my interest. However, the E6600 is on my list should the moon phases, and dark waters align perpendicularly. Which that probably will not happen, not in this life time at least.

Again, I only build when I must, hint this rig (MB & Sempron)is from 03, with scavenged parts as old as the 1990's! It must have durability with it's capability, or it stays on the shelf.

Again, tanks for the info.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote