Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
G'day to all Deus Exxers

Having only just finished the original game for the very first time tonight, I must say that I was mightily impressed for the most part.
It is quite possibly the smartest, most innovative and challenging FPS that I've ever played. The setting, the conspiracy theories, the beautiful ambivalence of its morality, the interaction, the music, the smoky ambience, the character points system and augmentation customisation....all fantastic ingredients to a very enjoyable experience. I tried to play it in an honourable samurai meets Thief assasinatory style (I upgraded to master just for the light sabre like dragonsword) - but admittedly resorted to absolute heavy force where it seemed necessary.

Thus, to my question then. I've read a few reviews of DE: Invisible War and the reviewers are seemingly divided in some way, but most hardcore fans seem to say that despite better graphics, the sequel took out the guts of what made the original so good, namely the rpg elements. No experience gained for exploration anymore or character point system? There's only one kind of ammunition? Hmm. Sounds frustratingly then, that its more of a blatant console shooter port for the eager populist consumer masses rather than an improvement on Deus Ex, which is what it should have been. I fear that the gameplay and interaction in this game will be dumbed down to the point that I will regret even installing it, but I am anxious to hear how the storyline was continued! Thus I thought I'd look to the opinions of my trusty Ironworkers and see what you have to say to sway me either way.

So should I give it a shot or not?

Give me your favourite maps from the original too with your reasonings! (Just as a side vignette for fun)
Mine would have to be:
- The NSF Airfield (Confrontation/dilemma regarding Anna Naverre)
- The Versalife Compound in Hong Kong (Sneaking out of here was fantastic)
- The Naval Shipyards (Just the sheer size and structure of the tasks needed to be completed. Great stuff.)

**Spoilers** (to those who haven't completed the original)
---
---
---
I chose to send the world into a dark age, essentially because I felt JC was so alien to the world of humanity and that his sense of betrayal eventually overthrew his sense of justice, having lost his brother and his sense of identity through Unatco. I also considered the potential for another Bob Page to rise even through apparently benevolent dictatorial AI like Helios and found that the dark age notion that much more intoxicating.

So much to write about this game, but that better do for now!
Cheers,
CD
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Escape the MJ12 facility. My favorite mission ever. After that, it's the Cathedral of the Knights Templar, Vandenberg airfield and Area 51. I've beaten the game almost two dozen times now, and I'm loving every minute of it!
One more thing... you just completed it for the first time... you should know there are different ways to complete any mission. Not just the sneak/fight/hack/whatever methods. I'm talking about things like keeping your brother alive throughout the game, saving Jock... The first time I beaten the game, both of those died. Then I realized they don't have to, and it changes the game in the later parts. I was hooked on another few passes through the game... God, just by thinking about it makes me wanna play it again. I wish the Deus Ex: Reborn project was finished so I could play it wholly new!
As for Invisible War, stay away from it. Stay atleast seventy feet away from it at all times. If you see the box in a supermarket, cover it with a different box and walk away. If an employee comes to uncover the game again, curse him, threaten to Dragontooth him into sixty five pieces, and cover the unholiness again. If he doesn't believe you, use your key and wield it like a sword.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I've never tried the sequel (my archaic screen card wasn't up to it), but I have heard people say it's not as good as the original. You might want to play it anyway, just to see which way the plot went.

(spoilers below)

I joined Helios. I didn't trust Illuminati at this point, and the dark age would have caused a little bit too much death and destruction. Then again, an immortal benevolent dictator sounds like a very good system of government.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

*Spoilers*

I essencially became a god by joining with Helios, after everything I went through I figured I deserve a little power, plus who could know what was best for the world if not myself?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

*SPOILERS*
I didn't know you could save Jock. How do you do that?

I manage to save Paul, and got Dr. Jaime Reyes and that computer fellow, Jacobsen or whatever his name was, to join me.

[ 05-27-2006, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 05-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

You can have Jaime join you in two ways. One of the ways will help you resolve a certain encounter without fighting, perhaps even without fatalities, and the other way will help your character. To save Jock, you have to figure out there's something fishy somewhere. I really don't wanna ruin it for you.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I wasn't aware you could save Jock either, but when I think about it, it doesn't seem that hard to imagine, since I knew there was something odd about the mechanic who makes the repairs to the helicopter - I didn't really spend enough time on that particular map to find the solution to it.

As for Paul Denton - well, during my first play through I didn't really develop that much of a rapport for him, since I found his NSF betrayal a little contrived and slightly unconvincing. His death was unfortunate, but also acted as a thorn like motivationary force for JC. Perhaps on my second play through I'll care a little more.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote