Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2000, 01:40 PM   #1
Ramon

Hi all,

Seems there are a few people around here (male and female, lol) that know this game inside out A pity that I have almost no time to play so I'm still in Chapter 2 (coz games are always LATE in Europe). I hope that some of you will be able to answer my follwing questions

1. I remember that Jaheira tried to start a romance with me (and Aerie too). I'm naughty and copied the script 'chicks' where you can romance with all three ladies (funny they're all elves. Elves most romantic? lol) However, once she had a bad dream and I told her to get over Khalid ASAP. Since then (a few days ago in game play and a few weeks in real time) she hasn't said a word. Have I blown it? Even the cheat SetGlobal("JaheiraMatch",GLOBAL",1) didn't work (and I cannot set it to 2 or 3). If anyone is willing to share, most appreciated.

2. I had to do a quest for Quayle involving a friend of his (an actress; I forget the name as usual) that are now teleported away to another plane. I followed them (as I said I'd protect them) and now I'm in some weird prison or so. I still have a savegame before that though. Anybody been able to beat this level?

3. In the sewers there's a bunch of guys that I find most difficult to kill. The pros here will probably laugh at me, but it took me more than 7 hours to kill those *&*&*^. Does anyone know a way to dispose of them quickly? Forget fireball, forget cloudkill and this Gaius guy always protects himself and casts Finger of Death. I finally was able to fry them to toast by stealthing Minsc and attacking from three sides. Anybody have a good strategy so that next time I won't have this headache? I wonder what other battles will be

4. The door behind those guys in the sewer cannot be opened and I cannot find the key, meaning that I cannot solve the Unseen Eye quest (or something like that) as there's nothing else in the sewers except that door (the other door leads to a wizard; that's a different quest). So where's the key?

5. Maybe this is a bug but I wonder if anyone noticed this: When casting spells in the city, ALWAYS one of those Cowled Wizards (Coward Wizards? lol) comes to me and... well, you know. However, if my attackers (Bandits most often) use magic, those Coward Wizards DON'T show up. Why? Why can they use magic and I cannot? Shame on BioWare!

Sorry for the long post, but I know from previous experience that the more complete info you give, the better people can assist you.

Peace

Old 11-14-2000, 02:31 PM   #2
Ribs

Some of this stuff is a bit spoilish.

1) I'm about as lucky with BG2 romance as I am in RL, so you'll have to find help elsewhere on that one.

2) The astral level isn't too bad. Be sure to work your way east instead of north from the beginning. The plot unfolds as you go that direction, and you'll find a way to make the level much easier.

3) I usually put this battle off until a little later in the game. You can attack them from up to three directions at once, but I usually just spell up and send in a couple of pets for a bit extra fire power.

4) The door behind the guys in the last question isn't related to the Unseen Eye quest (go to the far southwest of the sewer map for that quest). The key can be obtained by completing the Windspear Hills quest.

5) You can buy a magic license from the Cowled Wizards in the Government Building which will allow you to use magic in the city. I guess the thugs and bandits dished out the cash already which is why they don't get busted. It's debatable whether or not it's necessary to spend the cash on it. If your party is heavy on magic, it's probably worth the price.

Old 11-14-2000, 03:26 PM   #3
Ramon

Whoa! It seems you're one of the pros. Thanks for the answers, Ribs!

Old 11-14-2000, 05:26 PM   #4
Armisael

Incidentally, if you cast Emotion (most underrated spell in the entire game IMO) on that group in the sewers, the majority of them go down and you're free to take care of them from there. Otherwise, it's a really difficult battle, especially the mage and that god damned axe throwing guy. All the battles with other 'adventurer' groups in this game are nigh impossible.
The romance thing is pretty simple. Say something they don't like and they get angry. Just say what they want to hear and it ought to go okay, just like real life.

Old 11-15-2000, 01:45 AM   #5
Ramon

Okay so baslically I messed up the romance with Jaheira, right? Any ways to get it back on?

Well, it seems that the battles with all adventurers are impossible if you say so That axe-throwing guy I took out with Minsc. Had him in stealth mode with Oil of Speed and took out that guy by hiding and then being a sniper. He came after me and I took him out, though he has a low THAC0, that's for sure. Then, after a few hours of trying, I fried them from 3 directions, 2 with fireballs and one with flame strike. Worked pretty well, though the Gaius mage is the hardest.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:43 AM   #6
Armisael

Nah, I was exaggerating. They're not impossible, just really difficult.
Then again this is coming from someone who killed the shadow dragon then got slaughtered by a killer mimic and two umber hulks. : P

Old 11-15-2000, 05:06 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Unfortunately i think you may have miffed your romance with Jaheira, but keep in mind that the dialogue triggers are real-time while your PC is on, not game time. Jaheira's romance is the longest one, so you may have some hope. Otherwise, don't worry about it, you will be playing the game more than once I guarantee you.

Re: the astral plane and rescuing Raelis Shai, it's not too difficult, just make sure you keep scouting ahead with a thief so you can plan your attack. Try and avoid stepping into the circles that lead into prison rooms. There's a lot of cool stuff in that prison.

Oh, and regarding the thugs casting spells, remember where you are - the City of Coin, where coins flow freely and eyes look elsewhere!
Old 11-15-2000, 05:34 AM   #8
Armisael

Damn, I was playing on 'hard' difficulty. No wonder I was getting my ass kicked in by everything.

Old 11-15-2000, 06:04 AM   #9
Ramon

Memnoch, is there NO WAY to get the Jaheira romance back on? I don't care if it's the longest, I just want to get into that one. She's by far (IMHO) the toughest to romance; the most challenging.

PLaying the game more than once? Probably not. I intended that with BG1 and Icewind Dale and with both games I did an uninstall during my second round coz I got bored. But maybe I'll play this one again for the sake of Jaheira's romance.

Well, so far I found some cool (hot?) stuff in the astral plane.

City of Coin? Er....... you lost me here. I'm not so much into Forgotten Realms. I like RPGs and that's about it.

Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2000, 06:04 AM   #10
Ramon

Memnoch, is there NO WAY to get the Jaheira romance back on? I don't care if it's the longest, I just want to get into that one. She's by far (IMHO) the toughest to romance; the most challenging.

PLaying the game more than once? Probably not. I intended that with BG1 and Icewind Dale and with both games I did an uninstall during my second round coz I got bored. But maybe I'll play this one again for the sake of Jaheira's romance.

Well, so far I found some cool (hot?) stuff in the astral plane.

City of Coin? Er....... you lost me here. I'm not so much into Forgotten Realms. I like RPGs and that's about it.

Thanks again.