Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 04:03 AM   #11
Masklinn

Ok, need some explanation there.

First of all there were protests all over the world yesterday, even in the US, not only in France. I still don't understand why it seems you guys always blame France and only France. But anyway.

Second, a MacDonalds got a bit broken, thaz true. Nothing really bad though, they didn't set it on fire or anything. What do you want ? MacDonalds are one of the biggest american symbol there.

Then, about the ricin, I heard that too, some has been found in a railway station in the boxes where you put your suitcases (sorry dont know the english word). So maybe it was just being put there and the guys were waiting to take it to UK or something.
Quote:
If France were no threat to Iraq, meaning that they are not supporting our aggressive movements...why is there poison found there? Why not here or in the UK?
Please tell me what relation you come up with between Iraq and Ricin ? You are aware that, despite what your govt is saying, there is no link between Al-Qaida and Iraq eh ? You do know that Saddam and BenLaden kinda hate each other right ?
I'd like to add that we, in France, have problems with Terrorist movement from Algeria and that has nothing to do with Iraq. And also, anyone can make ricin, it's not an islamist-only product.
You draw conclusions a bit too fast for my taste.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:34 AM   #12
Grojlach
Zartan

Well said, Masklinn. I get the impression over the last few weeks from reading posts around here that the US media (or the part most people watch here anyways) is rather biased and one-sided in its reports concerning France, blowing anything relating to France out of proportion and context...

[warning - lighthearted sarcasm ahead, don't take it too literally or seriously ]
France is not a country full of Anti-Christs. They will not go out to eat your children at night. They do not hate your freedom nor support terrorism. They do not worship nor support Saddam Hussein or Bin Laden. All they did (or technically speaking, the French Government) was (strongly) disagree with the US's foreign politics, nothing more, nothing less.

And protests get out of hand occasionally all around the world... But somehow whatever newsstation Reeka was watching decided to highlight some minor damage to a McDonalds just because it happened in France - If this had happened in any other country, it probably wouldn't even have made the news. Don't be fooled by news broadcasts, most of the media stations are trying to bring the news the way they want you to see it.

of course this goes for both the American and the European media; the latter isn't completely unbiased about its reports about the US either. Most newsstations around the world tend to claim objectivity, while they're most likely not. Their political preferences may definitely influence the way of bringing the news or which news will and which won't be broadcast, even while they may not even realize they're not 100% objective. I for one don't think that complete objectivity exists in the first place when it comes to reporting news of a political nature, but what do I know.

Oh, and my above post doesn't mean I'm not condoning any violence during peace demonstrations, because in my opinion, rioting during demonstrations is useless and inexcuseable... But it seems I've just gone waaaaay off-topic. [img]redface.gif[/img]

[ 03-21-2003, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:15 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
There are people who would protest the Second Coming, if given half a chance.

I don't have a problem with anyone who is against the war; I treat you as an adult capable of reaching your own conclusions and having your own opinions. The protests, though, are staged by people who simply want some media attention. I laugh them off as completely unimportant. *yawns at protesters*

Unfortunately, all this bickering and petty spitefulness on both sides, both French and American, has dealt a serious blow to the diplomatic relations between two countries who have been allies for more than a century. It will take decades for the bad blood to work itself out....*sigh*
Nicely said, Azred! I noticed several of the American protestors had scarves over their faces, though. As if they wanted to make a scene but not take responsibility for their actions.

Of course the McDonald's is an 'American' symbol, but what I wonder is who owns the one that got trashed? Was it a franchise owned by French citizens, if so it's a shame their compatriots didn't think about that before damaging the business. If not, it's understandable they chose that as a target of aggression, but I don't particularly think it makes much sense to do violence in the name of 'peace'.

Speaking of which, I agree, those protestors in SF were completely out of line, from what I saw they were definitely looking for attention and in some cases even appeared to WANT to be arrested. (Groj, I watched that American news coverage yesterday and believe it or not, they showed something like six US protests and then showed protests in The Phillipines, France, England, Jordan and several other countries, so I'd have to say it was reasonable from the standpoint of showing that there were protests in the US as well as other countries.

What I don't understand is why people who want peace and 'getting along diplomatically' stage violent protests or let their protesting turn ugly and violent . There was one in my own area that seemed peaceful enough, but they blocked traffic on a major highway and caused several minor accidents....seems the protestors thought lying down in a major road near a heavily trafficked part of the city was a cool move... , luckily the injuries and property damages were minor, but it could have been much worse. It's like they only care about being in the news and making their words heard...but what comes through to me, is that they are thoughtless, careless and self-absorbed because their actions harmed someone else.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #14
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Groj, I watched that American news coverage yesterday and believe it or not, they showed something like six US protests and then showed protests in The Phillipines, France, England, Jordan and several other countries, so I'd have to say it was reasonable from the standpoint of showing that there were protests in the US as well as other countries.
Okies... But in that case I don't really understand why Reeka's first post only named the one in Paris; the topic title is a bit deceiving as well. As if protesting the war is restricted to France alone...

[ 03-21-2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 03-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #15
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Thank you for that feedback khazadman, the news clip I saw didn't mention anything at all about the San Francisco sit in protestors becoming violent. Though they definately did show the problems at Chicago.
The.Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I think the focus on France is because they are seen to be the leader of the anti-war movement. The French government is the most vocal, so it gets the most press.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Probably, Ronn. That and most likely the novelty of the target... well, it's the first MickeyD's I've heard of being attacked in protest of this war to date!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:30 AM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quoted by Masklinn:
Quote:
Please tell me what relation you come up with between Iraq and Ricin ? You are aware that, despite what your govt is saying, there is no link between Al-Qaida and Iraq eh ? You do know that Saddam and BenLaden kinda hate each other right ?
I'd like to add that we, in France, have problems with Terrorist movement from Algeria and that has nothing to do with Iraq. And also, anyone can make ricin, it's not an islamist-only product.
You draw conclusions a bit too fast for my taste.
I am completely aware that the Al-Quaida group are separate from Iraq, for we are in Iraq to take out the Al-Quaida, and return Iraq to Iraqis...I never said they were the same...but when referring to them, one is accustomed to name their current location of residency. Still, I guess I should use their group's name in future discussion.

I was unaware that Bin Laden and Saddam were not buddies. My reports say that they are friends, your's says they are not....I guess only those two men know for sure.

I was unaware that France had trouble from Algeria. I seldom listen to the news, except in these last days, because I have a two year old that I love more than TV.

I am sorry that my conclusions are bitter to your taste. Try me with a bit of ketchup!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #19
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I think the focus on France is because they are seen to be the leader of the anti-war movement. The French government is the most vocal, so it gets the most press.
Yep...as the old saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

I'm with Cloudy. When we were watching all of the protests, the one in France wherein people were vandalizing the McDonalds seemed, to us, to be one of the stupidest! That would have been like us going down to a local store bearing a French name and destroying it, even though it was owned by a neighbor. Pretty stupid way to make a point IMNSHO.

RE: the rest of the protests...Well, I am a firm supporter of people's right to peacefully protest. And, to be fair, there were LOTS of peaceful protests, and they got their message out without vandalizing anything, or throwing rocks, or disrupting traffic, etc. Unfortunately, very few of those actually got any press time. It was only the ones where people were, lets be brutally honest, STUPID that got the press.

One last thing...

Now, I dont mean to get off on a [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] here, but...

I have nothing but respect for those who are willing to stand up for what they believe in, and voice their opinions, even when I dont agree with them. But, if they're going to do it, they should at least have the courage to show their faces and be proud of their stand. The people in San Fran(and elsewhere) who's faces were covered by masks/scarves are COWARDS, pure and simple. If they dont even have the guts to show their faces and stand up for what they believe in, then they dont deserve to have the right to say it!

That's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Nachtrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:51 AM   #20
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:

I have nothing but respect for those who are willing to stand up for what they believe in, and voice their opinions, even when I dont agree with them. But, if they're going to do it, they should at least have the courage to show their faces and be proud of their stand. The people in San Fran(and elsewhere) who's faces were covered by masks/scarves are COWARDS, pure and simple. If they dont even have the guts to show their faces and stand up for what they believe in, then they dont deserve to have the right to say it!
That actually happened?? Yikes. Did they have any decent reason or excuse to wear those masks, were they supposed to be a symbol of anything? Because if that's not the case, I actually have to agree with you...