Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Today was a rather huge day here in the UK because the long awaited new Deftones album was out. Just bought it a few hours ago and have listened to it twice. First impressions? Not bad at all although I don't think it is as good as
the "White Pony" the album before.

I had read a review were the reviewer stated it was the best deftones album ever so naturally this got me very excited but as I said earlier I disagree - the "White Pony" is the best.

So has anyone else heard the album and what's their opinion? It's certainly alot heavier than the "White Pony"!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Huh? New Deftones album out?? I must clearly have been out of the loop.

I know Chino will probably never regain that vocal agility he had on the first two albums, but I hope there will be more of the rythmic aggro stuff than on White Pony.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Huh? New Deftones album out?? I must clearly have been out of the loop.

I know Chino will probably never regain that vocal agility he had on the first two albums, but I hope there will be more of the rythmic aggro stuff than on White Pony.
Yep it was out today in the UK. I have no idea when it will be out in Denmark if it isn't already. All the deftones albums have sounded different from each other and again this is the case but If I had to compare it with any I'd say it's most like "Around The Fur". It's heavier than White Pony and there is quite a bit of "rythmic aggro stuff".

Have you heard the song Minerva? It was a single here in the UK and it's from the new album, it's a quality song.

Regarding Chino's vocals there is ALOT and I mean ALOT of screaming on this album and also lots of melodic vocals as well(lots of agility there then) and the vocals are generally superb he might suprise you . The opening song "Hexagram" also has quite possibly the best riffs ever! Wait to you hear it I tell you! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I don't mind it: still won't top "Around the Fur" - fantastic album.

Guess who's going to see them live on the 3rd?
Old 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM   #5
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hmm.. I can only grasp at straws Jerome. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But then, guess what lucky chap is going to Wacken in Germany for three days this July/August?
Old 05-19-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Hmm.. I can only grasp at straws Jerome. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But then, guess what lucky chap is going to Wacken in Germany for three days this July/August?
mmm, i'd still swap going to Wacken and the Deftones for a ticket to Leeds.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:33 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
ROFL!! You don't mean... Wacken? As in Wacken Open Air? Really?
I doubt you'll have as much fun as I had when I was there in 1998 [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] , but still, that's cool Talthyr!! Have a great time! Which bands are playing?
Old 05-20-2003, 04:41 AM   #8
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I love the Deftones! One of my top 5! I had all four cd's before some *&^%#$%#@^, &*&%^%, *&%^$%$%,!@$%%^^$#, &*&% jerk, stole my cd holder from my truck! Lost alot of my favs then! Anyway, I have replaced "White Pony", plan to replace the rest, I really like "Around The Fur" (the cd too! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ) . Probly my fav. Didn't know about the new one till this thread. Can't wait. Does anyone know if its in the states yet?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #9
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

LordKathen it should be out in the states. Usually you lucky people get albums before we do in the UK, however the White Pony actually came out here first so who knows? Although it did come out here first we never got the song MiniMagget(Back To School) which I believe was on the American version of the album instead we got an ep with that song and a few live tracks after the album was released.

Jerome I'm so jealous, I never get to see any bands I like because I live in Northern Ireland. No good bands ever come here! To see one I'd have to travel across the water to for example reading /leeds but it would cost a fortune and I can't afford it

p.s what's wacken is it a festival? Never heard of it!

[ 05-20-2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Zarr ]
Old 05-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #10
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Ma fave band... been waiting for the album for ages (release date was set to sometime last year at first... so, yeah... waiting [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Got it yesterday, listening to it right now. I like. Dunno which album is my favourite really...

Lord K, release dates was, 20th in the states, 19th the rest of the world. If ye haven't got it yet and mind file-sharing, you can watch/listen to Minerva at www.deftones.com (go to 'albums' section for listening, every song for the previous albums (except the Daemone'n Fist methinks) are there as well).

Quote:
Guess who's going to see them live on the 3rd?
*curses Norway* Got to see'em in '01... them haven't been here after that...