Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-05-2001, 06:17 PM   #21
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

well maybe this would explain

Move silently: It to prenvent people to be tiped off when you hide in shadows, thing as a snaping a twig or a creeking floor could alert your presence they don't know where your are but they know your there. I've only seen this ability work on Yuanti Mages who would cast a true sight if a caracter with a low move silently.

But in pnp the caracter has to be moving 1/4 the normal rate.

Old 04-05-2001, 06:23 PM   #22
Lord Shield

Climb Walls and Read Languages are in the P&P games. Are they in BG2 too?

Old 04-05-2001, 06:26 PM   #23
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Well, ma'am, which game are you playing ?

If you tell first, I might then consider to tell you about mine as well

Hi, Ramon (etc), BGII, lol!
Oh, and thanks for posting on Female Gamers in General Discussion Forum

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Old 04-05-2001, 06:33 PM   #24
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Hehehe, nice smiley

------------------

Hmmmmmm...Yes, that must be it
Old 04-05-2001, 07:02 PM   #25
Charlie
Lord Ao

Just playing Devils Advocate.

If the Move Silently skill etc has been added to give high level thieves something to add skill points to, well....

Taking a brand new game with an Elven pure thief and then assigning skill points. The first thing to bear in mind is "what is his thieving cap" in any given proficiency?

As you can assign more than 200 points to a skill this begs the questions - what is the maximum assignable points level for that skill and how does that correlate to a percentage success rate. I mean - Does 200 points in a given skill = a 50% chance of success or is it more or less or what?

What constitutes a really good high level thief? Should a really good pure thief be adept in all or some thieving skills? Personally I'd have thought it important to be skilled in all the things that you can assign points to and for the specialized thief types then they obviously gain advantages and disadvantages in their chosen areas. A pure thief has devoted his life to learning all the thievery skills.

Ok, we now have a level 7 thief with 60 points of innate ability and 215 points to dish out. There are 7 thief skills that we can assign skill points to. Taking 200 as the skill cap (which we know it isn't, it's higher) this gives us 1400 points of thief skills to use to become a "Master" or "Grand Master Thief".

Subtracting our initial score still leaves us with 1125 skill points available. Even at 30 points per level per level up, a level 27 thief has only used 875 skill points.
Given that the skill cap is higher than 200 it becomes even more difficult to know where to assign points to for the best.

What would be considered a "high level" for a thief anyway. I think it's all very well being given the places to assign points to but it would be even handier being given the points to assign. (Even handier still if the manual actually described the attributes in some detail )

As I say, I'm not griping, just playing Devils Advocate.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:27 PM   #26
Jimbo
The Magister

Hallo fellow rogues
Glad to see my fellow mate of the shadows still weighin' in on the subject.

Right now I'm a bit tied up, but will try and dig up some old posts me and Charlie had on how it works.

Basically, its one to hide, one to move is how to think of it, and how you develope it is your choice. That is the beauty of being a rogue. Some of us are master pickpocketers, some master sneaks, and all have a bit of the scoundrel in themselves

Charlie, if I rember well, I did the SK thing and rolled a level 40 thief, sheeesh, he had 3 skills that went to 250 in them...don't know but will check it out for game cap, and exp cap removed games.

Rember, let the meele and magics rant, rave, and battle it up, as that leaves more loot for us.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:34 PM   #27
Jimbo
The Magister

Found it I think
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/cgi-...ML/004881.html
Hope that helps shed a bit of light on it.

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 04-05-2001, 10:27 PM   #28
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Well, ma'am, which game are you playing ?

If you tell first, I might then consider to tell you about mine as well

Hi, Ramon (etc), BGII, lol!
Oh, and thanks for posting on Female Gamers in General Discussion Forum

I think it tied to a persentage (I could be wrong)

a Thief with 110 in hide in shadows and 115 Move silently.

One a thick stone floor with partial moonlight equlals best conditions the thief cannot fail his hide in Shadows and he can walk quietly without being heard.

A after noon in the forest with twigs everywhere Imposed a penalty of 30 on move silently and the shadows made by the trees impose a 20 penalty to the hide in shadows. so the thief's abilty is more 85 move silently and 90 hide in shadows.