Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Law
Dungeon Master

You hid one of your questions from Bungleau.
"Is it feasible to use the Paladin as the only healer?"

I usually start with only one Priest who usually becomes either a Paladin or a Ranger (or both) to pick up more of the Vine and Spirit spells. Both of these advancements can be done in the Valeia area. If you are thinking of only being a Paladin, I would recommend that you train in Vinecraft until you get Cure Poison before switching to a Paladin.

One advantage of starting you Ranger as a Priest is that it can train in the Temple in Vinecraft. A Warrior/Ranger can not enter the Priests Guild (without guild hopping of course).

BTW: Since the Samurai quest requires you to be in Ishad N'ha you can't advance to that as soon as the other two.
You can start a character as a Wizard, train in Stonecraft until you get Meteorstorm and then switch to a Samurai
and train in Suncraft until you have Firestorm. Then you can use most weapons and armor as well as magic. And the HPs are not bad either (at least they are a LOT better then the wizard usually gets).
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Good catch, Law!

Once someone knows spirit spells, they can be a healer, no matter what their current class is. So can a paladin be your only healer? Sure. It's easier if she starts as a priest, but you can convert over a warrior if you need to. And as Law pointed out, you can convert your priest to a ranger and still keep her as a healer.

Just do learn that cure poison spell before the Serpent Temple...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the tips folks. I don't get to play as much as Bungleau but I'll try to keep you posted on how my playthrough is going.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I will echo the welcomes. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I don't play as much as you might think... I get an hour or two at the end of the night, after the rest of the house has gone to bed. But do keep us posted on your progress [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Created my party anew last night:

Tigris Whiskah Warrior
Snouts Gourk Warrior
Euphrates Omphaaz Priest
Jammer Ratling Rogue
Elfira Elf Wizard (Sun Magic)
Styx Pixie Wizard (Stone Magic)

I'm playing the game straight except for turning spawns up to often.

If anyone has updated links to the maps with all the secret rooms, please let me know. I hate missing stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-16-2006, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: crpgnut ]
Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A couple more questions:

Does it make more sense to leave the beginning chests alone until 5th of 6th level? It seems like ankhs start showing up around then fairly frequently.

Should I attempt completing the Crypts first or should I focus on role ascensions and guild leveling instead?

I've done the crypt to Kerah's statue and have just joined the guilds and am doing the barbarian quests for my two warriors. It seems smart to just go straight to barbarian instead of leveling any in warriors. Do you agree or disagree with this policy?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Try chests whenever you can. Even if they're difficult, you can still get 'em. May take dozens of attempts, but I've done it... the "tumblers" that are used do not change between attempts. Once you know the unused tumblers, stop and try again if they're picked first.

As for what to do first, the Crypt is an entry-level dungeon. It doesn't get any easier... and your first wizard's quest sends you into the heart of it. Plus, you can do the Rumphy and get lots of XP

And on the topic of warriors, as soon as you can change to a new class, do it. I sign 'em up for barbarian school as soon as they can afford it. They can usually get there by level 4 or 5... remember that they have to get the killing blow in on 20 critters.

BTW, glowflies, roaches, and rats count... and die nicely with a burn scroll
-+-+-+
Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #19
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Following your suggestions, Bungleau, I went ahead and moved the two warriors to barbarians. Neither will stay there long probably. I'm going for Samurai, Paladin for those two I think. I'll probably finish the crypts as barbarians and try to get some extra hp before switching. I'll probably make my Omphaaz priest a Warlock soon though. It's nice to get the Artifacts skill going asap it seems. IIRC Warlocks can continue learning spirit and vine as long as you take at least one level in each before switching. Please let me know if I'm incorrect in this. My two wizards will probably wait til they have mastered stone and fire before switching classes.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #20
Law
Dungeon Master

You can train a priest in Artifacts without switching to Warlock. You just need to get to level 3 in the guild. That only requires delivering the potion and paying 500 gold.

Yes you can still learn spirit and vine as a Warlock if you started them as a Priest. But you may want to be working in the Moon or Fiend spells. You can only get one per level.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote