Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Recently i had the pleasure of working with a young, unsigned and (IMO) very talented musician. He's got about 40 or so original music tracks and is seeking a vocalist(s) to complete them in order to put an album together. He's somewhat paranoid that his stuff is gonna get ripped if he's not careful about who listens to it before he gets established. Since there are a few pros among the IW members, i thought i'd ask if there's any advice i can relay to him about his options in this situation. Where can he find vocalists? How can he legally protect his unfinished stuff? etc.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Around here, we find vocalists by putting up Wanted signs in local music shops.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I'm not a musician or a lawyer, but I'd guess if he copyrights his songs then he can let people hear them and sue anybody who rips them off.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
Sever

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
Around here, we find vocalists by putting up Wanted signs in local music shops.
Does that generate response from a lot of wannabes? I know he's terribly fussy but it's certainly worth a shot. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

As for the copyright, apparently there's some restriction to copyrighting music that is unfinished. Can anyone shed some light on this?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

They susally say "wanted, vocaliist, preferred age, gender, experience"... you can put up your preferances and not get a lot of wannabes. You'll probably still get some, but not many if he says exaclty what he wants.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Find a music forum for whatever town you're in. Most places have one. I live around Preston in Lancashire - our version is http://www.prestone.co.uk. Does the job, theres always loose musicians hanging around.

The most basic basic form of copyright is to mail your tracks to yourself via registered mail, that way it's sealed and dated - but i'm not sure how that one has ever stood up in court. Have a looksee here (And Around that website), might get you some info.

Plus if his recordings ever do get noticed etc. Make sure you join the PRS (Performing Rights Society) or whatever the version of it is over there.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

www.tunecore.com

it costs a wee bit but it does allow you to retain all your own rights etc aswell as being able to hawk them as downloads and receive full revenue for them.

As for finding a good vocalist, they can be a rare breed. although Beaumanoir's advice is solid the best approach I reckon is just to get yourself out there to gigs etc to find like minded musicians or even poach one from an already established band [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by VulcanRider:
I'm not a musician or a lawyer, but I'd guess if he copyrights his songs then he can let people hear them and sue anybody who rips them off.
He doesn't have to actively copyright them. Under the Berne Convention, music is automatically copyrighted the moment it is made, requires no formal registration and is completely protected for at least 50 years after his death. So as long as he has some proof that he made it first (sheet music, demo tapes or something like that might work) and motivation to sue any thief who uses his works without permission he will be fine unless he signs something.

Don't know about where to find a vocalist. Wanted ad in a public place sounds like it might work.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
Sever

Thanks guys (and gal ), I'll pass it along.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
He doesn't have to actively copyright them. Under the Berne Convention, music is automatically copyrighted the moment it is made, requires no formal registration and is completely protected for at least 50 years after his death. So as long as he has some proof that he made it first (sheet music, demo tapes or something like that might work) and motivation to sue any thief who uses his works without permission he will be fine unless he signs something.
Ofcourse the proof has to be timedated to be effective. a friend of mine does this by putting his music on paper and send it to himself through the mail. i'll only cost you a stamp and the music is timedated and linked to yourself.