Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

PRESIDENT Bush planned to bomb Arab TV station al-Jazeera in friendly Qatar, a "Top Secret" No 10 memo reveals.

But he was talked out of it at a White House summit by Tony Blair, who said it would provoke a worldwide backlash.

A source said: "There's no doubt what Bush wanted, and no doubt Blair didn't want him to do it." Al-Jazeera is accused by the US of fuelling the Iraqi insurgency.

The attack would have led to a massacre of innocents on the territory of a key ally, enraged the Middle East and almost certainly have sparked bloody retaliation.

A source said last night: "The memo is explosive and hugely damaging to Bush.

"He made clear he wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in Qatar and elsewhere. Blair replied that would cause a big problem.

"There's no doubt what Bush wanted to do - and no doubt Blair didn't want him to do it."

A Government official suggested that the Bush threat had been "humorous, not serious".

But another source declared: "Bush was deadly serious, as was Blair. That much is absolutely clear from the language used by both men."

Yesterday former Labour Defence Minister Peter Kilfoyle challenged Downing Street to publish the five-page transcript of the two leaders' conversation. He said: "It's frightening to think that such a powerful man as Bush can propose such cavalier actions.

"I hope the Prime Minister insists this memo be published. It gives an insight into the mindset of those who were the architects of war."

Bush disclosed his plan to target al-Jazeera, a civilian station with a huge Mid-East following, at a White House face-to-face with Mr Blair on April 16 last year.

At the time, the US was launching an all-out assault on insurgents in the Iraqi town of Fallujah.

Al-Jazeera infuriated Washington and London by reporting from behind rebel lines and broadcasting pictures of dead soldiers, private contractors and Iraqi victims.

The station, watched by millions, has also been used by bin Laden and al-Qaeda to broadcast atrocities and to threaten the West.

Al-Jazeera's HQ is in the business district of Qatar's capital, Doha.

Its single-storey buildings would have made an easy target for bombers. As it is sited away from residential areas, and more than 10 miles from the US's desert base in Qatar, there would have been no danger of "collateral damage".

Dozens of al-Jazeera staff at the HQ are not, as many believe, Islamic fanatics. Instead, most are respected and highly trained technicians and journalists.

To have wiped them out would have been equivalent to bombing the BBC in London and the most spectacular foreign policy disaster since the Iraq War itself.

The No 10 memo now raises fresh doubts over US claims that previous attacks against al-Jazeera staff were military errors.

In 2001 the station's Kabul office was knocked out by two "smart" bombs. In 2003, al-Jazeera reporter Tareq Ayyoub was killed in a US missile strike on the station's Baghdad centre.

The memo, which also included details of troop deployments, turned up in May last year at the Northampton constituency office of then Labour MP Tony Clarke.

Cabinet Office civil servant David Keogh, 49, is accused under the Official Secrets Act of passing it to Leo O'Connor, 42, who used to work for Mr Clarke. Both are bailed to appear at Bow Street court next week.

Mr Clarke, who lost at the election, returned the memo to No 10.

He said Mr O'Connor had behaved "perfectly correctly".

Neither Mr O'Connor or Mr Keogh were available. No 10 did not comment.

(http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html)
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

You're using the Mirror as a news source? Ouch. Still, interesting to see if this gets picked up by something other than tabloids - until then, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

[ 11-22-2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Touche Groj, Still, the US blew up the Al-Jazeera office in Kabul, it is not at all unthinkable they would try something similair in Quatar.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
You're using the Mirror as a news source? Ouch. Still, interesting to see if this gets picked up by something other than tabloids - until then, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.
A Beeb article with a refutation from the White House of the claims.

Somewhat interestingly, Downing Street have only said that they do not respond to leaked documents, rather than coming out and saying that it's a fake.

Personally, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. I always thought the way those two 'smart' bombs dropped square on the Al-Jazeera offices in Kabul was a bit dodgy.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Nice to see you've got the same MSM problems there we have here. First, an incredible untrustworthy source writes it (like the Standard), then a pundit or two talk it up, then the fact that others reported it finds its way into the front page of the NY Times, or the WSJ.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

It's on BBC also:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4459296.stm

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Labeled by the White House as outlandish and not worthy of comment, I would say it's highly doubtful this occurred. Besides, Cheney and Rove wouldn't let Bush voice thoughts like that to 3rd parties, even if he did have them.

But, come to think of it, it's a damn fine idea and one I've espoused before. Out of all of the people I can think of in the Middle East who simply need killing, A.J. ranks high on the list.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
Lucern
Quintesson

Even if it is true, it's certainly not damaging to him. Really. Where's he have to go from here? The folks who hate his foreign policy have better reasons to hate his foreign policy already, and the dwindling (for other reasons) support he's got wouldn't dwindle any faster unless this affected the economy, which it wouldn't.

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm
You'll note that very few respondents are in the 'unsure' category.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
Orbost
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Labeled by the White House as outlandish and not worthy of comment, I would say it's highly doubtful this occurred. Besides, Cheney and Rove wouldn't let Bush voice thoughts like that to 3rd parties, even if he did have them.

But, come to think of it, it's a damn fine idea and one I've espoused before. Out of all of the people I can think of in the Middle East who simply need killing, A.J. ranks high on the list.
Seems highly unlikely to me too. Carrying out an illegal bombing raid on a civilian target in the major city of a key Middle Eastern ally. Surely even GWB isn't that dumb.

Have to disagree with you though on your AJ comments. Since when is bombing journalists a fine idea? You may disagree with the angle of their reporting, but they are highly respected in many parts of the world, and provide, I believe, an essential balance to the reporting of many western news agencies.
Orbost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I assume you mean highly respected in many caves in the world ?