Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-25-2001, 11:32 AM   #1
Vampire

How do you beat a mage with a horde of stoneskins and fireshields?
Old 06-25-2001, 11:36 AM   #2
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
How do you beat a mage with a horde of stoneskins and fireshields?
Pelt him with as many missle weapons/miscast magics/silence spells/insect swarm spells/magic protection disolving spells (there are some really good ones, I highly ssuggest it. Melee usually sweeps in and offs em quick if you can put those spells into effect in time).

Just a few of my tactics. Then again, its easier when they are alone. With melee help your stratey might need to change, but I sill basically follow that route. Oh, and if you want added cushioning power or want to soften him up, I usually power-cast animal summoning II/III and perhaps a fire elemental and send them charging into the area with a invisable person (usually Yoshi) to guide them. If they stay alive long enough, I send my mage in to carpet-bomb the area with silence spells during the ensuing chaos. If the silence spells are successful, start doing what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 12:31 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I'm assuming here you are soloing as a pure fighter.

With regards to fireshield, it's very easy to become immune to it if you have finished the Windspear Quest.

Red Dragon Scales ----> 50% FR
Dragon Helm ----> 25% FR
Some ring you get from the Transmutater at the Dungeon Entrance ----> 40% FR

Wear these 3 and Fire will cease to be a problem.

With regards to Stoneskin and other spell protections, you can either try to absorb the punishment( not recommended) or wait it out.

Wait it out as in run away somewhere and wait for the duration of the major spell protections to run out, leaving only Stoneskin. Stoneskin is not a major problem, most fighters will chop through the skins within 2 rounds, it's the Protection from Magical Weapons( PFMW) that sucks big time. Of course, you can keep a normal weapon to hack the mage if he uses PFMW.

If the mage goes invisible, you should most probably run away and wait it out since you do not have any divination spells( gasp! Divination can be useful! ).

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 06-25-2001, 12:38 PM   #4
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I'm assuming here you are soloing as a pure fighter.
D'oh! Yeah, I guess he did. Should have mentioned it again, I thought he was fighting some kind of solo warrior mage, not the other way around.