Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-11-2002, 10:10 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

This has disaster written all over it.

http://www.nationalpost.com/world/st...-0BB06C314C36}
Old 07-11-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
SecretMaster
Apophis

This is why u gotta love the U.S. Were sooo stupid.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:24 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
This is why u gotta love the U.S. Were sooo stupid.
Las Vegas can get rid of all the neon lights. It'll glow in the dark all by itself! LOL
Old 07-11-2002, 10:36 PM   #4
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

I heard about this before, and it IS a good idea, if only it wasn't so close to human habitation.

They were planning to dig down into a mountain as far as they could and put in all sorts of containment systems up. Then they could slowly fill the mountain full of all the radioactive waste, that would OTHERWISE be thrown into people's backyards. All it is, is a storage facility for the county's nuclear waste output. They have to put it somewhere. They just can't throw it out in a landfill.

And its not like they are going to just set it in the desert, its going to be far underground, where it is SUPPOSED to be safe. Well as safe as you can get with radio active waste. At least that was the original plan.

I didn't really read the text on the site other than the idea that they were going to store nuclear waste. So I figured that they were refering to this idea. Excuse my lazyness but I have a 56k modem and am trying to do too many things at once.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:38 PM   #5
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quite frankly, I live in NY, and I really don't feel safe with the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant just 15 minutes away from me. I can see the searchlights from the Camp Smith just from my house on a clear night!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 10:40 PM   #6
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Mandorallen:
I heard about this before, and it IS a good idea, if only it wasn't so close to human habitation.

They were planning to dig down into a mountain as far as they could and put in all sorts of containment systems up. Then they could slowly fill the mountain full of all the radioactive waste, that would OTHERWISE be thrown into people's backyards. All it is, is a storage facility for the county's nuclear waste output. They have to put it somewhere. They just can't throw it out in a landfill.

And its not like they are going to just set it in the desert, its going to be far underground, where it is SUPPOSED to be safe. Well as safe as you can get with radio active waste. At least that was the original plan.

I didn't really read the text on the site other than the idea that they were going to store nuclear waste. So I figured that they were refering to this idea. Excuse my lazyness but I have a 56k modem and am trying to do too many things at once.
Oh yes, something needs to be done with it, but 77,000 tonnes 150miles outside of Las Vegas! It seems like the "cheap" way out to me. I would think that jetisoning it out into space towards the sun would be a better alternative. Sure it'd cost a lot more, but what is the safety of your citizens worth? Apparently not much to some US Senators.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:49 PM   #7
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Oh indeed Animal. The US gov. is VERY cheap. That way they can raise thier salerys. The truth of the world is, its totally corrupt, full of hate, and stupidity.

I'm not being pesimistic, I'm being realistic.

I always thought that sending it out to space into the sun WOULD be the best way. But don't hold your breath. I don't think it will ever happen.

Damn goverment.

Dosent really matter in the long run for the human race anyway. I suspect that sometime in the next 200 years we will wipe ourselves out. No help from other forces needed.

Whenever I say that my parents just look at me and shake their heads and say...
You shouldn't be talking like that.

Me: Why not??

Parents: Because a 15yr old shouldn't be seeing the world as it truly is. You should be happy and content with everything, seeing the world as a great place to be.

Meflatly)You want me to be ignorant and stupid??

Parents: Never mind....
Old 07-11-2002, 10:54 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Sir Mandorallen, for a 15 year old you see the world from quite a realistic viewpoint. Yes, I completely agree with you that we will self destruct within the next couple of centuries the way that we are going. Perhaps if more people saw that we could stop the destruction and disaster that surrounds us.
However, we still must make the best of what we have, even if it is just for the moment.
You seem to be a very mature teenager. Quite refreshing to see! Cheers!
Old 07-11-2002, 11:18 PM   #9
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If they have so mutch money in the US to this thing why can`t they build a gigantic rocket or some thing an fill it with the radioactive waste and send it to crash in to the sun? then no more prob with that the radioactive waste i think!

[ 07-11-2002, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]