Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

I reckon Bahamut is probably going to give me the best answers to this, and my apologies if I spelt Phillopeno wrong.

Ok, as you know, I am a Marine Engineer. This means, that I work on a ship for 3 to 4 months at a time, 8-5 a day, with sometimes many more hours in between.

The reason for my post, is on board the ships, there are a lot of Phillopenos. They are mainly AB's, who help on board. Also, the Cook, The Steward, The Motorman etc.

Now, they work stupid hours. For instance, the motorman did 8-5 standard, but started at 6am, and worked til 9pm every day.

Not only this, they do 9months at a time. 9 months without seeing their family.

And whats worse, is that they do it for $600 a month.

Now, thats like an eighth of what a marine engineer gets.

Now, I had many in depth chats with them about this, and they say that they get a very good wage compared to in the Phillopenes.

But does this make it right? They are working mainly in a westerners profession, so shouldnt they be paid the same? Just because of their countrys economy, doesnt mean they should be paid less.

But, they all seemed very happy with their wage, even knowing it was like 8 times less than the lowest paid marine engineer.

Anyway, I was just wondering Bahamuts opinions on this.

So basically, how come they are so happy when they should be earning more? How come they are contracted to do double the trip of a westerner?

Either way, i was amazed at the culture of them, and their attitude towards life. I've made many friends from over there, and hopefully one day I will get out there to see them!

*Oh, and I cant recall correctly, but I think they were on about 600$ a month. It could have been $1000.

Oh, and Bahamut - Kamusta ka? (hope thats right!)
Old 08-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Kamusta ka rin? [img]smile.gif[/img] (means basically how are you doing as well?)

anyway just to clarify alittle bit.
Our country is spelled -Philippines
But we are called - Filipino

You are right about the low wages and such. I will give you some statistics about my country.

-We have over 70 million (I think its 80 this time but Im not sure) people living in a country that a little smaller than California, USA.

- 70 percent of the total population is poor

- Minimum wage here in the Philippines (by law) is around 7-9 US dollars a DAY

- Yet most people, especially the poor, earn less than that. I can imagine around 3-5 Dollars and sometimes only 1 dollar Thats barely 300 US dollars a month at best.

- That is why 600 US dollars is great for them. (if its 1000 all the more better). It is like higher wages so they can help thier families back home.

- I know its sad happening because there are alot of Filipinos that are seamen/women. But we are a happy and friendly people . If ever your coming to the Philippines, give me or bahamut a holler . Just to let you know, Leonis already visited my country and he loved it. Hope you will too.

[ 08-16-2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Minimum wage here in the Philippines (by law) is around 7-9 US dollars a DAY
this is all you guys make in a day? man that is really sucky
Quote:
Yet most people, especially the poor, earn less than that. I can imagine around 3-5 Dollars and sometimes only 1 dollar Thats barely 300 US dollars a month at best.
this is even worse if it is the law that the minimum wage is more than that, how can they not make it? man I did not realise that things were that bad

[ 08-16-2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 08-17-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Stormy, the Philippines is a third world country...I'm part Filipino myself, and until people from Western societies actually go to third world countries they can have NO concept of what poverty really is. Living below the poverty line doesn't mean that you don't get heating in winter or have to get a dole cheque, it means that on some days you don't eat at ALL.

As is typical with most third world societies, 90% of the country's wealth is held by about 10% of the population, who live like royalty and are in many cases richer than their equivalents in first world countries.

The biggest export of the Philippines is labour - and the remittances they send back to their country keeps the country going to a large extent.

It does sound unfair, and it probably is, Lav - but the reality is that they're doing better than they probably would at home, which is why they basically cop whatever conditions are imposed on them. Bit like that hostage bloke in Iraq - he had a family of eight relying on him and the reason he was in Iraq doing a dangerous job was because they needed the $$$.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Filipinos shouldn't be paid more, Westerners should be paid less. We are allowed our opulent consumer culture because the invisible poverty of millions, nay billions of people whom most in our culture will never see, nor even be interested in seeing. One way or another, this imbalanced equation is going to come to end.

[ 08-17-2004, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 08-17-2004, 06:29 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

there is no way universally solving "greed" and "power" sadly

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-17-2004, 07:20 AM   #7
Lavindathar
Harper

Thanx Harkoliar!

I should have mentioned in my first post, that all of their wages is sent back home.

I will try and get over there at some stage, my Dad lives in Thailand so maybe when I can afford the flights to him, I'll go that extra bit further to see some friends!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:22 AM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Wow, this is really saddening. And I thought that McDonalds wages were bad [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Mabuti naman ako! (Which translates to "I am fine!")

Oh you want the more appropriate term? It is "Kumusta ka?" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yes, Hark and Mem have already provided you with the details I usually hate to discuss so yay. Hahaha [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well 600$ is already good wage for a working Filipino in any sense. The problem usually with third world countries (correct me if I am wrong) is that labor is CHEAP. So what people usually do is they get people from third world countries to pay them extra cheap wage. Sadly, the roles are reversed here, on where the average garbage man here cannot sustain his whole family as compared to one in the west- complete with a Ford F-150 and a house.

The minimum wage is around 5-7$ a day. And people usually even get less.

But then Lavi as you said, we Filipinos remain upbeat and warm. I don't know why. Hehehe [img]smile.gif[/img] And yes, like Hark said, if you ever pass by here, just PM one of us and we'll be happy to rob your arse... oh did I say rob?

[ 08-17-2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Bahamut ]
Old 08-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Another thing, I forgot to mention.

To help them get the most out of their money, rather than have it sent back to their homes, they withdraw all of their money off the ship.

This means they get it in USD. They then send the USD back, and because of the exchange rate get even more money. Which is good for them.

But, a lot of the Fillopenos work for agencies, as in, the agency gets them their job, and I'm sure IIRC that they take a lot of their wages too.