Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2001, 01:47 AM   #1
matt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Currently my party is as follows:
Me(Ranger)
Minsc
Jaheira
Yoshimo
Nalia
Aerie

I was thinking about getting rid of Yoshi and taking Anomen. I was just wondering if Nalia will be a good enough thief for my party?

[This message has been edited by matt (edited 07-12-2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 01:53 AM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Nalia is a dual-classed mage/theif. Her thieving skills are puny. If you want a mage who is also a thief, I'd suggest getting Jan.

BTW, welcome to the Board!

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-12-2001, 01:57 AM   #3
matt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am in chapter 3 and havn't talked to Jan yet. Will he be OK to start so late? How are his mage capabilities compared to Nalia?
Old 07-12-2001, 01:58 AM   #4
Darviathar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by matt:
Currently my party is as follows:
Me(Ranger)
Minsc
Jaheira
Yoshimo
Nalia
Aerie

I was thinking about getting rid of Yoshi and taking Anomen. I was just wondering if Nalia will be a good enough thief for my party?

[This message has been edited by matt (edited 07-12-2001).]
You CAN get by with Nalia filling your thief slot, but be sure to mem a few knock spells (and prepare to suck up some trap damage with your main tank) if you adopt this strategy. Her woeful level 4 thieving skills are so lame that you wonder why she even bothered. Traps (with a few exceptions in Spellhold) simply aren't as devastating to your party in BG2 as they were in BG1 simply because your party has more HP and is far more likely to make a saving through against any really heinous trap affect.

It really irritates me that Bioware didn't provide more thiefing character options. Imoen and Nalia's skills are minimal. Jan is quite possibly the worst overall character, and Yoshimo has his own problems. Would have been nice to add another rogue type, be it multiclassed or single classed.

Old 07-12-2001, 02:05 AM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I use Jan as my thief and as a spare artillery battery . He's doing fine as a thief. But I use my thief mainly for detecting and disarming traps, and lockpicking plus a little pickpocketing.
He has some unique equipment that enhance his thieving skills, and if that is not enough there is always the potion of master thievery.
Old 07-12-2001, 02:07 AM   #6
matt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Darviathar:

It really irritates me that Bioware didn't provide more thiefing character options. Imoen and Nalia's skills are minimal. Jan is quite possibly the worst overall character, and Yoshimo has his own problems. Would have been nice to add another rogue type, be it multiclassed or single classed.

Yeah, I agree it is really irritating that there is no good rogue character. Oh well i'll try to use Nalia's thieving abilities and see how it goes. I just don't like yoshi I find him to be pretty useless except for his thieving abilities. He has too many problems like you already stated, very annoying.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:33 AM   #7
Desuma_Malevois

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

There's a ring in the Planar Sphere quest that can bump up Nalia's "Find Traps" ability - also keep a few potions of Master Thievery handy and Nalia's skills may suffice.

Old 07-12-2001, 11:04 PM   #8
Alaric
Manshoon

For awhile, Nalia was the only theif in my party. I used the various potions that boosts a character's thieving skills and she performed adequately.

------------------
All the world is a stage and we are all actors playing our parts.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:39 PM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I too had only Nalia as a thief in my party. Potions, knock spells and healing for when she missed traps Overall she is OK to get around until you can pick up Imoen, and then the two of them can pretty much do most thieving things b/w them!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Old 07-13-2001, 12:36 AM   #10
Gustave
The Magister

If you don't feel like mem. a knock spell, you could always force the lock..heh