Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 07:05 AM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

Never used the Ravager+6 before but in my recent game I got it upgraded and now it's Minsc's main weapon. BUT while the item description of the Ravager says 10% chance of decapitating (no save) I frequently see mosters making their save vs death against it's "vorpal hit". And I'm not talking bosses like Yaga-Shura but also normal monsters like common Fire Giants, Shambling Mounds,...
I also have the Wave+4 in my pack which is supposed to be a anti-fire weapon and to slay Elementals, Efreetis and Salamanders. While it works great on Efreets and Elementals (even the Elemental prince) it does nothing to Salamanders (be they Fire, Ice or anything else). Now I would understand if it was useless against Ice salamanders but what's with the fire guys?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ravager+6 allows for a save? AFAIK, this is not the case. You might be having a bug. Do you have any Mods that might have modified your .itm files?
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 07:37 AM   #3
Kezardin
Elminster

A fix for the Wave vs salamander bug is listed for inclusion in the next Baldurdash FixPack :

http://forums.fwstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=2314
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Kevin Dorner is my God of Debuggers.

Some favourites of mine,

Quote:
Carsomyr's (both +5 in SoA and upgradable to +6 in ToB) Dispel Magic ability on hitting a target in melee was broken; barely worked at all
Let's kiss goodbye to the more overpowered version in Ease of Use.
Quote:
Mind Flayer "Devour brain" battletext appeared 300 seconds after an INT-drain attack instead of immediately
Now I know why that happens... ...
Quote:
Maze effect was using the wrong animation (same as Imprisonment's); new animation effect will be seen
Wahoo! New spell animation! Makes me want to play another round just to see what it will look like!
Quote:
Default melee attack of Pit Fiends, Moon Dog and other creatures was supposed to be of +4 enchantment, but was only +1
My solo Archer is praising the Heavens now. Kangaxx... watch out.
Quote:
Creatures supposed to be unkillable (ie plot-critical) were still vulnerable to death from attribute drain (INT drain of Mind Flayers, and STR drain from Archer Called Shot)
Awwww... ...
Quote:
The "spell" effects causing the "good path" losses in the Abyssal test were incorrectly flagged as of the Divination school instead of schoolless, so Spell Immunityivination would block them
Hear that screaming in the background? It's Alson. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Quote:
Protection From Undead scroll(s) would cause Kangaxx and Bodhi to be unkillable as they could not deliver their final dialog
Hopefully this will reduce the number of such topics. HA! Right... ...
Quote:
Guardian Bridge 'punishment' monsters dropped unlimited sellable scrolls, gems and +1 two-handed swords
Hear that screaming in the background? It's SixOfSpades. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Quote:
The Ring Of Earth Control could also charm golems and other classes, though it is only supposed to charm Earth Elementals
Yessss... sss... hear the screams. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Quote:
If the troll Grae was instantly slain with Crom Faeyr or by other means, the Limited Wish quest could not be finished
This bug happened to me. I'm glad it's being fixed.
Quote:
If Jaheira joined the party at level 9/12, her DEX was 14 (as it was in BG1) instead of 17 (as it is for all other instances of her in BG2)
Smile, SixOfSpades.
Quote:
Saemon Havarian could be killed by the player in the ship battle, and the transition text/narration afterwards inevitably said he was alive and leaving the scene (as well, he reappears in ToB)
Anime sweatdrop on head.
Quote:
A few mages if "chunked" on the final hit while casting Mislead would turn into a spinning chunk that cast spells
This was a hilarious bug to have.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I had that bug with Jaheria with her dexterity being 14. Very glad to see it's being fixed [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Never used the Ravager+6 before but in my recent game I got it upgraded and now it's Minsc's main weapon. BUT while the item description of the Ravager says 10% chance of decapitating (no save) I frequently see mosters making their save vs death against it's "vorpal hit". And I'm not talking bosses like Yaga-Shura but also normal monsters like common Fire Giants, Shambling Mounds,...
Remember, the Ravager also does 3-18 poison unless they save versus death. This is probably what you are seeing when they make their saving throw (they are avoiding the extra poison damage, not the vorpal hit). The 10% chance of vorpal hit seems like a lot, but in practice it does not pop up as much as you might think, especially considering higher AC of foes at that level, etc.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

I took the poison dmg into consideration but I also had the "death" animation with no effect. Hit a Shambling Mound and he saved (maybe vs. poison) and was not slain although the ghost was rising.
Only mod I have installed is BGT and it messes with the item files on only few occasions (mainly for BG1 items with same code as BG2)
Well, I just have to keep hitting harder I guess
Old 09-25-2003, 06:57 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Hit a Shambling Mound and he saved (maybe vs. poison) and was not slain although the ghost was rising.
Some creatures, like it or not, are immune to Vorpal Hits. The majority of these, of course, are important bosses and other creatures that are supposed to be difficult to beat, as it'd be rather anticlimactic to win the battle with the first hit. I don't see why a simple Shambling Mound would be immune, however.....unless somebody had cast Death Ward on it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Guardian Bridge 'punishment' monsters dropped unlimited sellable scrolls, gems and +1 two-handed swords
Hear that screaming in the background? It's SixOfSpades. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Hey, I only abuse the "Skeleton Warrior Machine" if I've gone through lots of other good sources for high-level spells (like the Cowled Wizards) and I think I've been swindled.

Quote:
quote:
If Jaheira joined the party at level 9/12, her DEX was 14 (as it was in BG1) instead of 17 (as it is for all other instances of her in BG2)
Smile, SixOfSpades.[/QUOTE]Actually, this never happened to me, but I'm glad anyway! Although personally I'd rather see Haer'Dalis straightened out.

Quote:
quote:
Saemon Havarian could be killed by the player in the ship battle, and the transition text/narration afterwards inevitably said he was alive and leaving the scene (as well, he reappears in ToB)
Anime sweatdrop on head.[/QUOTE]This.....does not say what Dorner fixed. Is Saemon now unkillable in SoA? Or is there now a SAEMONKILLED flag that affects the narration and his presence in ToB?

Quote:
quote:
A few mages if "chunked" on the final hit while casting Mislead would turn into a spinning chunk that cast spells
This was a hilarious bug to have. [/QB][/QUOTE][/quote]
Actually, I've got one up on that: One of the Cowled Wizards finished casting her Simulacrum scroll just as she was chunked--cue the spinning chunk. The chunk then immediately cast Mirror Image--cue FIVE spinning chunks! Woo Hoooo!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:09 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
quote:
Hit a Shambling Mound and he saved (maybe vs. poison) and was not slain although the ghost was rising.
Some creatures, like it or not, are immune to Vorpal Hits. The majority of these, of course, are important bosses and other creatures that are supposed to be difficult to beat, as it'd be rather anticlimactic to win the battle with the first hit. I don't see why a simple Shambling Mound would be immune, however.....unless somebody had cast Death Ward on it.
[/QUOTE]I know that in PnP there are certain classes of monsters (undead and oozes/slimes/jellies to be sure, but I think plant creatures are also on this list) that are supposed to be immune to vorpal weapons. I don't know if this is implemented in the game, but if you scored a vorpal hit on a shambling mound (plant creature) and it didn't die, then it is at least likely that it was implemented for this creature.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:27 PM   #10
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Actually of all beasts the shambling mound should be immune to vorpal hits (and critical hits and backstabs as well).

Basically a shambling mound is a huge animate pile of compost with few vital organs. It does have a sort of "brain", but it is not stored in the head but in the very center of it's dense chest.

If you manage to reach the brain of a shambling mound you have probably hacked it to pieces already.