Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-05-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmn..ever since NTL froze my internet access due to a certain virus mxblast I think it was my internet connection has been very strange.

I cannot auto-update anything, access streaming movies or audio files through Windows Media Player and moving smilies suchs as [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img] , [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img] and [img]graemlins/matrix.gif[/img] do not play just stay statutary as if they shudnt move at all...

Now if this is what I think it is and my connection has not been totally reinstated I only have 2 options, to call NTL and ask them to sort it out (ha frickin' ha) or remove and re-install correct connect and all the other programs.

Do you think either of these will work or am I totally screwed?

Cheers,

Felix
Old 10-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Strange. Check if something changed your internet options, and run the standard suite of scanners - adaware, spybotSD, a virus scanner.

If NTL are restricting the service deliberately, emailing their tech support would be the best way forward. But it would be very unusual to do that, blaster can be closed off without affecting anything like you are describing.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Did you delete the blaster worm from your PC? Or just patch it to keep it from hitting you?

Wouldn't hurt to check and make sure that you have it all out of your system, here is how I manually took it off my PC at work:

Use Search, and click on Files and Folders, type in "msblaster.exe". Delete the files if they come up, and also delete them out of your Recycle Bin as well.

Another thing, click on Cntrl-Shft-Esc (Takes you to Task Manager in XP), and go to Processes, and erase anything that says msblaster in there.

And yet one more place to get rid of it:

Open Registry Editor. To do this, click Start>Run, type Regedit, then press Enter.
In the left panel, double-click the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>
Windows>CurrentVersion>Run
In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:
”windows auto update" = MSBLAST.EXE
Close Registry Editor.

Once you have it all deleted, reboot (preferably with net plugs unplugged - dunno why)

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-05-2003, 10:53 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I remember hearing that if the blaster worm is not deleted/sorted by a certain date it then goes on to take more malicious action and I think that involved not allowing a user to even hit Microsofts' site...but I am not totally sure about this.

Do what Ladyzekke suggested as I did the same when blaster hit and it cured one or two small problems. If you are running XP try restoring (system restore) to a point before these problems started happening but make sure you have deleted all traces of the blaster worm (especially registry) before doing so as you may back the virus up accidentally.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

No its deleted, using NTL's Remove Blast and Welch programs they sent me, They altered my homepage to a site about how to remove it with all the removing things and addons, and after that I could get on MSN and view websites, but its still a little screwy.

Ahh well I can live with that I guess...
Old 10-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Well check here to enable animated images in IE, Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced --> Check the "Show animation" and "Show video clip" boxes.