Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2001, 08:11 PM   #1
turbovee
Elminster

What's up with these kids? We just had another kid go on a shooting spree here in San Diego this morning. It pisses me off that the parents aren't watching their kids and now two other kids are dead

[This message has been edited by turbovee (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 11:44 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I know that something like this effects everyone. I know there are days at my school where I watch very carefully what I say to some students.

Most days are fine -- and then something like that happens to make me think that there's no guarantee that my school won't be next.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:07 AM   #3
JJ/newbie

FB, there are no guarantees. I saw the interview with father of friend of shooter- he had spoken to him of it the night before, because some of the kids were talking about him talking about it- he was asked about it, but how much more can you intervene directly? When I was teaching at MSU in 89, a student that had been in one of my frosh speech sections the quarter before was harassed in much the same way as this student was, took a shotgun and killed the 2 boys who had been torturing him right in their dorm room. No talk about doing it, or anything else, either. How do you keep kids from instinctively picking viciously on those they see as different or weak? You know that is a result of their upbringing, and teachers can only intervene so far. I have no answers, I guess, only questions, sigh...

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-06-2001, 12:13 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It's a horrible thing to see happening more and more often. I don't think there is any one answer to why,either. Our society has changed the way we deal with family and children. It's a complex issue. More violence in the streets, in the schools , on television, movies, games, music...and kids feel isolated already. Add teasing and ridicule and you can get a volatile reaction.
Just my two cents worth.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-06-2001, 12:25 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I always wonder why people become so violent these days. look at Indonisia. The locals slaughter 1000 alian people (i forgot THE people's name), and each kill, they locals took their heads, some of the locals even eat the corpse's hearts and drink their blood, saying this can grant them strength.

Isrial and Balastine hass always been on fire. Isrial now is suspecting everyone to put a bomb in their building, or do some public shooting. Hundreds of people died between the two sides.

500 prisoners in Basi attempt to escape the prison, and 5 people got shot to death.

Kosowo had a big battle against its neouber (sorry, forgive my limited english vocabulares) for 3 hours.

American school kids join the world wide violent stream, and shoot two of their school mates to death...

man, this world is getting way too small, tell you what, mideast and midwest asain will be where the third world war start. USA is a bitch, for maintaining its control of oil at mideast area, USA supposrt Isrial and which in turn accelerat the conflicts. that is where the war starts man... a bad war, a terrible one, have you heard that Satamum has 9 nuclear bombs? it is a rumor.. but a rumor can be truth

how pitiful people fight amoung themselves over this kinda things!!
Old 03-06-2001, 01:43 AM   #6
Rikard

From what i know
People my age are often drawn to violence for the "coolness" of it
Me personaly i'm a very calm kinda guy
I actualy think violent computer gamez can help people get less agressief
as you can Shoot people with out killing them

But it's not only schools you
people are dying all over
Landmine for excemple
Now there's this treaty
a non landmine production-placing-exporting treaty
But The USA keeps on refusing top sign it
You have any idea why?
Coz i sure don't

------------------
The Legend Rikard T'Aranaxz
Master Necromancer
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF

Old 03-06-2001, 04:44 AM   #7
Griever
Manshoon

Wasn't that Santee, or is that already Sand Diego? Was that recent? Or are there more? There is also like a trend here... first, here in our school, some shot himself two times in the head after the other girl school prom... and then recently, a popular type of girl shot herself. She was in Miriam College, Beside Ateneno de Manila, our school. Geez...

------------------

Tifa has her Cloud, Squall his Rinoa, Sephiroth?? hehe
Old 03-06-2001, 07:55 AM   #8
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ/newbie:
How do you keep kids from instinctively picking viciously on those they see as different or weak? You know that is a result of their upbringing, and teachers can only intervene so far. I have no answers, I guess, only questions, sigh...
That is the core of the issue right there, regarding school shootings anyway. In my opinion. We are homeschooling our 16-soon-to-be-17 year old because of that very issue. The harrassment he was receiving in school because he was shy, introverted, Intelligent & nerdy was horrendous. We tried going through many channels at school to get him help, but the prevailing attitude was that "kids will be kids & he just has to learn to deal with it". So we pulled him out of school for his own safety and mental health.

But after going through that experience, I can see the point of view of the shooter too. He was very wrong in what he did, but the school system & society as a whole needs to come up with some EFFECTIVE way to deal with harrassment & abuse between peers.

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:03 AM   #9
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

man, this world is getting way too small, tell you what, mideast and midwest asain will be where the third world war start. USA is a bitch, for maintaining its control of oil at mideast area, USA supposrt Isrial and which in turn accelerat the conflicts. that is where the war starts man... a bad war, a terrible one, have you heard that Satamum has 9 nuclear bombs? it is a rumor.. but a rumor can be truth

how pitiful people fight amoung themselves over this kinda things!!
I agree with you 250, regarding the U.S. support of Israel. It is short sighted and only accelerates the conflict there. Israel is a nuclear power with an amazing arsenal of weapons because the U.S. sends billions of dollars to them every year. It wouldn't surprise me if WWIII did start there, and then the U.S. gov can only blame itself. Which of course, it would never do.
It makes my blood boil just thinking about it!

Just my opinion. I'll get off my soapbox now.

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:16 AM   #10
Gray Mage
Banned User

When I see things on Tv like this shooting, or other violence I get so angry. What the Hell is happening to this world?? What drives a kid that far to bring a gun to school and blow people away. Ok this is where I probably touch on politically incorrect, and I might upset a few people, I apologize in advance but this s*!t really pisses me off. I'm sure I'm going to offend a few people...it is not my intention, but, my opinion

I would like to know where the parents of these kids are, granted you can't watch you kids 24/7, you work, and all other things that parents do. But come on aren't there things you notice about you kids, behavior changes.

I can remember a time when I could walk to kindergarten, 5 years old, 1/2 mile to school, and be safe. We used to cut through backyards to make the trip quicker, and not be worried about getting shot. My mom had this ritual about once a month she would "clean" my room for me. She basically knew what was going on and wouldn't put up with any funny business. She also worked full time.

Are we so wrapped up in our own lives that we are oblivious to what is going on around us?

The other day there was an article in the local paper. At the Catholic High School I went to one of the priests was Beat up. He had a broken jaw, bruised face, and his head was put through the wall. II had this techer, as every freshman does, he commands respect, demands disipline, and is fair. He was the one teacher that affected me the most, made the biggest impression on me and others. How could some student do this to this guy, a priest no less!?! What the Hell is this world coming to??

Again, I would like to apologize if anyone was offended, it was not my intention. I just wanted to put my two cents in.

------------------

Feel My Power