Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-09-2001, 01:40 AM   #1
01gls

Interplay has been giving me the runaround and I haven't heard back from black isle, so I thought I would post this in the off chance that anyone else had experienced it or had a solution.

I just got BG2. The game installed fine, but freezes on the "loading area" screen, after character creation, every time. The loading progress indicator fills all the way up and then it just sits there, without accessing the hard drive. At that point, it is impossible to get out to Windows, Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, and all one can do is hit the reset button. If I start it in a window, ctrl-alt-del has the little (not responding) message by bg2, and it is possible to end the task. This problem happens both when I try to start a full game and when I try to start the tutorial.

I got the patch and have tried a bunch of different option and resolution settings without any luck. Tried both full and normal installs, no difference. Made sure no other programs were running in the background, no difference. Any ideas?

Computer is a vanilla Dell, 4 years old:

Pentium 200 (minimum sys requirement, but its optimized fairly well and this doesn't seem to be a speed problem)
64mb ram
STB Nitro 3D 4mb video card
Newest Direct X drivers
I've been putting BG2 on its own partition for peak performance

-Garth

Old 06-09-2001, 01:48 AM   #2
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Well Most Baldur Gate problems like that tend towards the Video Card and its Drivers. There hasn't been alot of non-video card problems out there with Baldur's gate, I think about 90 percent of the time its a problem with the Video card and its drivers working with Baldur's gate.
Mine was like this also, I still have problems with my 3dfx Voodoo3 card when exiting the game, gets a blank screen I have to shut down and restart just to get back to windows, and nothing I do corrects it, I just have to stick it out.
Now Ill have to figure out what is making your game do what its doing.

DO us a favor and go to your configuration and tell us all what areas of your graphics and setup you have running, such as video display (600x800), your resolution, all the other boxes and such you have checked. This might help someone who knows alot about the video settings help out. Put it out here for us all to see.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:55 AM   #3
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

hmmmmmmm i assume your talking about dirctX 8.

And it sounds like youve been re-installing it. which is what id recommend.

Turn 3d off. check to see whether youre running 16 or 32 colors.

Get a faster cpu. 200 hundred is really slow. even though it says youre meeting minimum requirements it may not be enough.

go get you a video card thats at least 16 meg.

You should be able to pick up a nVidia TNT2 vanta 32 meg video card pretty cheap
video card might be your whole problem. i just got a new one nad still had to get new drivers for it. then i had to get the GLsetup file from the gl site. all that so i could play in 3d.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2001, 01:59 AM   #4
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yea the Pentium 200 and the 4mb video is really pushing the bottom of the barrell of performance with the game. If anyone is going to have problems, your system will be the one
But heck, if we can get yours to work, we can get anyones!