Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Happy Skyrim

I'm hearing lots of good vibes about Skyrim. Anybody got this game or got any opinions on it?

I desperately need a new game ( busy playing NWN2 again - lol ) and this may be the one.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Skyrim

I've heard some good comments from people that have played it. I talked to the local GameStop clerk a few weeks ago about it and he said the game is amazing. At that point in time, gametesters had devoted over 700 hours of playing time and STILL not beaten the game. The graphics, missions and level of immersion are all apparently top-notch.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Great game, am playing it and loving it. But expect the usual bugs & glitches, it's by no means bug-free. However works well out of the box, and they recently released patch v1.3
The Creation Kit will be released for PC in Jan 2012, but already there are so many mods for it.
My only major gripe is the UI for PC version - it's just ported over from the console versions and instead of buttons they assigned various keys. So it's a bit tedious to go thru' your inventory, barter and so on.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #4
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

It's a lot of fun, but yes, the glitches can be annoying. However, they are also amusing. For example, the backwards flying dragon glitch.

You'll either find it to be "eh" or you'll be sucked in by it.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Got Christmas sales, so on sunday I went ahead and bought Skyrim together with Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3. Great Bargain!

Unfortunately I'll be too busy with work to play either of the games.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Really enjoying Skyrim so far, have become a wearwolf killed a few dragons and done some really fun dungeons and quests.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Level 47 and think I am only about 20-25% done. I am the leader of the thieves guild and dabbling in the mage and wereolf quest lines. I am way back in the main quest line and have barely started that. Pleanty to do and plenty to see. The game will fill in a lot of time for me till GW2 gets released .
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Level 47 and think I am only about 20-25% done. I am the leader of the thieves guild and dabbling in the mage and wereolf quest lines. I am way back in the main quest line and have barely started that. Pleanty to do and plenty to see. The game will fill in a lot of time for me till GW2 gets released .
I'm getting the impression that this game is MASSIVE.

How are the bugs Davros? most of these types of game can be very frustrating to play because of the rush to release before major faults are fixed.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Generally nothing game breaking. What I've encountered so far are mainly graphical glitches, which is well known for the engine the game uses.
I think a patch has just been released that allows the game to take advantage of memory above 2GB (large address aware, or something like that). But there was already a use-made executable that took care of that.
The Creation Kit is to be released next month for PC.
Also, Gamespot has given 4 awards to the game:
- best RPG
- best PC game
- best xbox game
- game of the year

Skyrim didn't even make it to the PS3 shortlist tho', where Portal 2 won best game for that platform. Perhaps the save game bug was the reason?
Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I'll be getting the PC version of Skyrim for Christmas! So I can't wait to play it.. (Will make a forum for it and replace the Starcraft forum with it) And add a Diablo III Forum.

(We gotta create a clan Ironworks for Diablo III Guys, it'll be a BLAST!)

Wanted the PC version of Skyrim due to the awesome Creation kit modding tools. If its not TOO hard to make a mod, I plan on trying to make some small ones at first.. very unique, and fun...And you all will get to beta test them before I put them up for download on the other main sites!!!

BTW, on a sad note, that NEW 'Neverwinter' game that was supposed to be tailored for dungeon creation and PW's... well, Perfect World's Acquisition of Cryptic Studios just happened, and Perfect World has decided to change the direction of NWN:MMO.. Its now a FULL MMO.. and not free to play.. micro transactions and crap..

And the 'modding tool' is the same lame ass limited version that Star Trek Online uses..

It's like they are creating a list of "how can we make this fail MORE" points....
It's also now not a MPRPG.. its an 'Action RPG'.. much more limited in everything..

I personally hope Wizards pulls their D&D licenses from this game and stop it from being made... it WILL be a major failure the way they are talking.. simply check out the forum responses on Cryptics forums:

http://forums.playneverwinter.com/showthread.php?t=4481

BTW, I had zero hopes for this game.. as Cryptic isn't that hot with games.. Just like I had low expectations for Obsidian Entertainments NWN2 game... When I heard that they gutted the DM Client and other things.. a limited toolset, and so many other things that made HUGE modders from NWN1 just walk away after a month.. Remember, most of the high-ups at the now Obsidian E. also made the #1 all time worst AD&D game in history--- 'Descent to Undermountain'. The game wasn't even FINISHED when released.. the engine was based on the Descent engine with gravity, but monsters still floated.. and when they died, blocked your way down a path.. tons of early game stopping bugs, and the sound effects... when you use magic, its some guy whistling.. yeah... And Feargus Urquhart was the lead on that. (Now you know why everything Feargus Urquhart is linked to is bug ridden and sloppy).. Black Isle was different.. they had many other smarter designers and coders... but Feargus Urquhart and Interplay clashed a lot...

So, Skyrim should be great! There are a few bugs, but they will be worked out--many have already right? And Diablo 3-- we gotta get a clan together.. When I make the Diablo 3 Forum, I'll make a sticky so we can all get our clans together.. same server etc...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote