Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

ok, so after improved Kangaxx, I moved to the improved mind flayers and Alhoon in the sewer.

luckily enough by the time I went in to face Alhoon, Jaheira gained the HLA to summon deva, plus two Mordenkainen's Swords we were capable of casting at the time, they really helped.

after cleaned out those mind flayers, ulitharids and umber hulks...we focused Alhoon...yet, somehow, he just died...I didn't read in the feedback he took any hit or injured (even when it read Fallen Deva critical hit, there was no indication that she did damage to him)...Aerie cast false dawn few moments before his death occured. Could this be the reason? or this is a case similar to improved dragon who tends to winguff themselves to death? "10000 XP" was what I got after he died...too low I reckon (Ulitharid gives 19000). Is this a known bug or known "way of dying" for a Alhoon? [img]graemlins/confuse21.gif[/img]

another bizzare thing is that, when Imone and Aerie casted death spell to get rid of Umber Hulks, couple of mind flayers and ulitharids actually died as well...I thought mind flayers will not fail saving vs. death spell...

ADD

ok, I tried again, this time he died immediately after Aerie casted false dawn...10000 XP [img]graemlins/headshake.gif[/img]

[ 09-09-2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Alhoon is part-Lich, aka an Undead Mind Flayer. False Dawn can affect him.

Mind Flayers can die to Death Spell. The only barrier between life and death for them from Death Spell is their Magic Resistance. You have a 40%( I believe) chance of nailing them with Death Spell. Death Spell ignores saves.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Alhoon is part-Lich, aka an Undead Mind Flayer. False Dawn can affect him.
I know, that's why I had Aerie memorize false dawn going to face him...but I have no idea false dawn can be THAT effective

Quote:
Mind Flayers can die to Death Spell. The only barrier between life and death for them from Death Spell is their Magic Resistance. You have a 40%( I believe) chance of nailing them with Death Spell. Death Spell ignores saves.
got it [img]smile.gif[/img]

so, the higher MR, the less chance to be killed by death spell? and I can actually cast death spells again and again, since it might work?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You can also bombard them with level 12+ Chromatic Orbs and hope that it bypasses their Magic Resistance and Saving Throws. [img]tongue.gif[/img] The odds are low, but when we talk about mass bombardment, even that 5% chance is going to happen sooner or later. If you want your Death Spell to be more effective, cast Lower Resistance on the Mind Flayers first, or you could just use Mordenkainen's Swords to slice them into calamari.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

*hijacks the thread*

Can you cast Lower Resistance on illithid and have it stick? That is, if the LR punches through their magic resistance.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirengle:
*hijacks the thread*
Can you cast Lower Resistance on illithid and have it stick? That is, if the LR punches through their magic resistance.
Lower Resistance always ignores Magic Resistance in BG2.

Unlike IWD where there is a percentage chance based on 100% minus half the target's MR.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
You can also bombard them with level 12+ Chromatic Orbs and hope that it bypasses their Magic Resistance and Saving Throws. [img]tongue.gif[/img] The odds are low, but when we talk about mass bombardment, even that 5% chance is going to happen sooner or later. If you want your Death Spell to be more effective, cast Lower Resistance on the Mind Flayers first, or you could just use Mordenkainen's Swords to slice them into calamari.
yeah, I'd have much easier time if we could summon more Mordenkaninen's Swords.
I almost never use spells against mind flayers...now I know I have chance (love Chromatic Orbs...this run, it saved our lives in beholder city...Imone chromatic orb instant killed a gauth...that really helped a lot in that dreadful situation...)

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pirengle:
*hijacks the thread*
Lower Resistance always ignores Magic Resistance in BG2.

Unlike IWD where there is a percentage chance based on 100% minus half the target's MR.
[/QUOTE]more than once I've dreamed that LR is greater malison kind of spell...can affect a bunch of baddies...but it will make it too powerful a spell in SoA I guess [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 02:32 AM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

What also could have been the thing is that your Deva had a Vorpal hit on the creature. Devas have Vorpal swords (good ones, evil ones have something like ehhm.... no idea..)

EDIT: I found it! Ofcourse your Deva instakilled the Undead Alhoon! Good Deva's carry a twohanded sword kind of Mace of Disruption! The EVIL ones carry Vorpal swords....

[ 09-10-2003, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 09-10-2003, 02:56 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Undead are immuned to Vorpal hits. They are however, vulnerable to MoD's effects. Off-hand I cannot remember whether the Fallen Deva wields a MoD.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:57 AM   #10
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
What also could have been the thing is that your Deva had a Vorpal hit on the creature. Devas have Vorpal swords (good ones, evil ones have something like ehhm.... no idea..)

EDIT: I found it! Ofcourse your Deva instakilled the Undead Alhoon! Good Deva's carry a twohanded sword kind of Mace of Disruption! The EVIL ones carry Vorpal swords....
I had Jaheira summon Fallen Deva (since Aerie will be summoning the good ones when she gets HLAs). so, maybe it's the vorpal effect, but I don't recall seeing any ghost animation.