Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Finally after a year of sitting on my shelf, I decided to finally install and play Escape from Monkey Island, Lucas Arts' 4th (I think) edition today. Played all the others before it over the years. Have been playing RPGs for the past two years straight and nothing else, I forgot how lighthearted and fun Monkey Island can be! [img]smile.gif[/img] It is a very nice change of pace, this game just keeps me laughing throughout, I LOVE it. Not to say I'm off RPGs, No way! Just saying it is a nice change for a small time (and I say small time cause I love this game so much, and with a three-day weekend an all, I'll probably finish it in the next two days LOL)

Anyone else enjoy the Monkey Island series? eh? I'm rubber you are glue.. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-19-2002, 09:02 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Secret of Monkey Island was one of the best games in history when it was released. now, it still is, and would be worth it even at £10 today, esp if they made a talkie of it.

Secret of Monkey Island two was more of the same. unusualy, this is a good thing.

Curse of Monkey island was a disapointment for some. its not identical to the first two you see. for anyone with an open mind, this is essential

Escape from Monkey Island didnt work as well for me. it just seemed old, like it had all happened before. plus the controls glitched on me. it is therfore my least favorite of the seris, rating only an "excellent".

Monkey 5? now there something i look forwards to.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:20 PM   #3
Ladyzekke

quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Secret of Monkey Island was one of the best games in history when it was released. now, it still is, and would be worth it even at £10 today, esp if they made a talkie of it.

Secret of Monkey Island two was more of the same. unusualy, this is a good thing.

Curse of Monkey island was a disapointment for some. its not identical to the first two you see. for anyone with an open mind, this is essential

Escape from Monkey Island didnt work as well for me. it just seemed old, like it had all happened before. plus the controls glitched on me. it is therfore my least favorite of the seris, rating only an "excellent".

Monkey 5? now there something i look forwards to.

Really Andrewas? You didn't like Escape from Monkey Island? Well I guess to each his own eh? [img]smile.gif[/img] I liked all of them and Escape as well, at least so far anyways, I'm only on Island #2 atm. Yeah, I see what your sayin about the glitchy, but I guess that is because of all the movie/video they show often? I like how you can run instead of walk, that's pretty handy. I dunno, I just am enjoying it, I absolutely LOVE all the characters you run into and their different accents and personalities, the voices are superb. I think actually that is what I enjoy the most, the puzzles/quests come second re entertainment factor to me. Oh, and yeah, a lot of things DO seem a bit reminiscent of the older Monkey Islands, but to me that just brings back happy memories, soo...

And yes, I agree with you, I can't wait until the next one! Of course I'll probably always say that! I hope they keep making them and don't stop, as series eventually do..

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-19-2002, 09:28 PM   #4
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Look behind you a three headed monkey!!!!

Loved the first three, but I've never played the fourth. It would be interesting to see what people think. Lucasarts generally do that sort of game really well, and you can tell they put a lot of effort in to these games; Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max etc...
I'd recommend the Grim Fandango as well, I prefered it to the Monkey Island series. (This might be I'd grown up a bit more so understood more of the jokes.)
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 01-19-2002, 09:42 PM   #5
fable
Quintesson

The only one in the series I didn't care too much for was MI 2. It had some very good gags, but a lot of it was old and tired. MI 3 fortunately changed things enough to really bring it alive--I was especially pleased with the way the developers gave each of the three pirates from the older games separate personalities. (And using Allan Young, "Wilbur" in the Mr. Ed series and a damn fine comic actor as the voice of the pirate captain was a great idea. He does a wonderful series of Scots impressions.) MI 4 has a few interface problems due to the new 3D controls, but I thought it lived up to the humor of the others...though the original MI remains my fave.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:17 PM   #6
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I've played all 4 in the series. They are all excellent! I played the fist 2 on my old Mac and the 3rd and 4th on my PC [img]smile.gif[/img] . The Curse of Monkey Island is slightly different but is still as quirky and funny as the rest of em. I've only played the demo of Escape from Monkey Island and although fanatics probably hated the change into 3D, it worked for me. Although moving around with the arrow keys takes time to adjust to. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: GokuZool ]

Old 01-20-2002, 06:01 AM   #7
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I loved the first two because they kind of reminded me of the earlier King's Quest series (with all those word instructions). I liked the one where you had to time the pouring of the grog into a different mug (cos the grog would melt each mug after a while) each time before you reached the prison... that was really challenging [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Curse of Monkey Island was a welcome change, though the puzzles seemed to be getting increasingly mind-boggling. I liked the cannon-shooting and of course, "duels".... the banjo playing bit got me very uptight, but I really felt a sense of achievement once I'd conquered that

I haven't tried the 4th Monkey Island game, though. Not sure if it's worth the money spent and whether it will be so difficult that I'd have to rely on the walkthrough exclusively [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Any recommendations on whether I should take the plunge?
Old 01-20-2002, 06:09 AM   #8
GokuZool
Lord Ao

quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:

Any recommendations on whether I should take the plunge?

I suggest you download the demo. If you don't have fast internet connection you could always read those reader reviews. [img]smile.gif[/img] I found the demo quite difficult but it is still very funny and will make you [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2002, 07:34 AM   #9
Moiraine
Anubis

I just LOVE the Monkey Island games, I've played the first two, and I'm playing the last two with my kid, he got them for XMas (from me, of course ). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2002, 11:41 AM   #10
Ladyzekke

Oh cool Moiriane, playing the last two with your son [img]smile.gif[/img] Hey, two brains are better than one given the wacky strategies you have to figure out LOL. So I guess that means you are doing No. 3 right now? Hehe, that's a hilarious one, beware of dee devil chicken! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps