Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-08-2001, 11:34 PM   #1
LocustXReign
Welcomed New User

Ok, I just got this game yesterday and at first found it immensely overwhelming, having never played AD&D or anything like it. Anyways, i finally got the hang of it and made it past the first level and got into the town. I was attacked by some theif and then my party started killing everything in town! Then they all left me and after that gaurds came and killed me! My question is how do i stop my party from killing people when they got mugged/robbed etc?
Old 06-08-2001, 11:42 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by LocustXReign:
Ok, I just got this game yesterday and at first found it immensely overwhelming, having never played AD&D or anything like it. Anyways, i finally got the hang of it and made it past the first level and got into the town. I was attacked by some theif and then my party started killing everything in town! Then they all left me and after that gaurds came and killed me! My question is how do i stop my party from killing people when they got mugged/robbed etc?
Try not to use area affect spells (e.g. cloudkill, fireball, ice strom) in "populated" area. Also, before of enemy mages/clerics casting mind affecting spells like confusion, domination, charm, dire charm...etc, these spells tend to make you lose control of your party members.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 06-08-2001, 11:50 PM   #3
LocustXReign
Welcomed New User

Ok. thanks, i think i had the script thing on use spells for my mage char so that was probably what happend. Thanks for the info
Old 06-09-2001, 03:01 AM   #4
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

I personally always have the AI off, and manually control each attack using the spacebar to pause. You don't get the jump on the enemy like this, but you always know what's going on.
Old 06-09-2001, 05:43 AM   #5
Vampire

Yep...AI should be off unless in dungeon. HAve script always on default(none).
ONLY hit those that attack you..ie red circle.
Oh welcome to the infinte depth od D&D. ENJOY.....should play BG1 if you are a role player....unless you are one of those power players.
Old 06-09-2001, 11:35 AM   #6
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Read through the site, there's lots of helpful tips. Also, If you just arrived in the town, don't cast magic as the wizards will thump you at early levels.

BTW, If you started with a bad roll or a difficult Kit, I would advise you to go and restart. there is nothing more frustrating than playing the entire game with poor stats. Initially, I would focus on the basics, if your a beginner. Get a good spread of armour and weaponry (+2 swords and slings are great, every one can pretty much use 'em and they do good damage.) This way you won't get overwhelmed. Focus your spells on damage dealing or warrior enhancement.

Try to get some early easy adventures that give good experience for little effort...
(SPOILER)

One particularly fine mission is in the temple district. Go there and enter the temple of (can't remember offhand, think it's helm) and get the quest to commission a piece of art for the temple. There are two routes, one allows you to get a special metal for a statue. This involves a nasty fight (just one) that could prove tough. The second involves getting an alloy, a substantially easier mission with just as good a reward. Getting the real deal and holding onto it can also prove useful as the metal is used by the Dwarf cromwell later on to upgrade a weapon.....

BG2 is lots of fun, I cut my teeth on BG1 and loved it, so welcome to the wonderful world of Baldurs Gate....!!
Old 06-09-2001, 11:50 AM   #7
Volourn
Manshoon

Welcome to the world of BG. You should also try BG1. Be careful, take your time, read the book (it's long but worth it).

Note: Also,it is okay to cast priest spells in Athkata, just not mage spells
Old 06-09-2001, 02:15 PM   #8
LocustXReign
Welcomed New User

Thanks eveyone for all your help. I went back and restarted with the afformentioned suggestions and it is going alot better. Thanks for the help all.