Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2002, 01:54 PM   #1
Jendyll
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work.

I have noticed that when critters get right up next to me, it seems to be turn-based combat. However, when I spot a critter on the horizon, I have only a few seconds to snap off a projectile weapon or spell before they're in my face and I have to melee.

Can someone explain this to me better than the manual? I just want to make sure I am playing right. I prefer complete turn-based combat by the way [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks - And thanks DW for the awesome game!

Jen
Jendyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 02:55 PM   #2
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

Okay well turn-base isn't what I play but in turn base and real time they will be in your face. except some characters willbe shooting long range attacks.

when they attack they won't attack again until you attack though so you have time to set up after that.

but if you run away they will attack agian.

here is a hint you will begin to notice that certain creatures make a certain move or sound before they attack when they make that sound or move just step back or if it is a spell caster run in a wide circle around them to dodge the spell.

I am playing right now with just one wizard so I am getting used to the memorization of the moves they make.

Hope this helps a little!
Old 06-30-2002, 02:56 PM   #3
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

Almost forgot Welcome to the Board!!!

[ 07-01-2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Loumistro ]
Loumistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 04:56 PM   #4
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome to the board, Jendyll!!!

The game is turn based by default. In order to fight in real time, You have to hit 'T' and then the game reverts to default after each battle.

Turn base / Real time dosen't control movement, it only controls how often they can strike. Most of the creatures in the game are aggressive and have a 'seek & destroy' AI, So they will get in your face as fast as possible.

The only time you can really take advantage of ranged attacks, is if you fight a slow moving creature. (unfortunately most of them have a good ranged attack, to comp for their slow movement)

IMHO...In this game, Throwing and Bow are a waist of gold and skill points. (Until you have a ranger that can learn 'Fletching')
Old 07-01-2002, 12:54 PM   #5
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

But if you do have them then you can use a trick of backing up and firing and then charge them in melee so they don't have time to dodge the attack.

Old 07-01-2002, 12:57 PM   #6
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hey Packrat...

Sometimes your the Dog and sometimes your the Hydrant.

Old 07-01-2002, 01:50 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Jendyll!!!

Hope you have the turn based and real time combat figured out by now! I prefer the turn based myself. I find it easier to manage.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:12 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Is there a difference? I just whack away at them when they get close. And the turnbased is not working in this game. The crypt is an excellent example. When a skeleton attacks, attack it in its swing. If you manage to hit their attack will fail and they will start waiting again and then attack. This works with Xydusa as well...