Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 05:05 PM   #11
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

how to "save crap"? well, you get a little baggie and a little shovel....

err.. like i said. characters are in the "characters" folder, saved games are in "save" or "mpsave". just copy these folders out to your desktop, then uninstall/reinstall IWD. then copy these folders back into the IWD folder.

if you wanna be real safe about it, try rebooting after you uninstall (make sure there are no lingering .dll files) and then after you reinstall(make sure the registry is properly updated). but that shouldn't be necessary
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 05:06 PM   #12
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

HeHe! Sarak, I use that voice you have in your sig! Always makes me laugh! I have a Ranger using it at the moment.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-05-2001).]
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 05:11 PM   #13
vesselle
Hathor

Sarak,

***i hope you see this before you re-install your game***

for the future...assertion errors are always annoying cuz they crash you.
but they are NOT big deals.
if you go into your files and delete your "cache" folder and then re-open the game your back in business.
the game makes a new "cache" folder and the stupid map that got corrupted is no longer there to assert its failure to load.

inserting your cheats in your config has NOTHING to do with this particular error. like i said, its a corrupted map file. if your cache isnt there, the game loads it off the cd, rather than the corrupted one in your cache.

its a good idea to keep your cache at the minimum default, just for that reason.

V***V

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 06-05-2001).]
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 06:15 PM   #14
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks vesselle, I learned something myself from your post.

Happy adventuring!

DawnChaser
DawnChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 06:42 PM   #15
Sarak of ok'Onar

damn yall...Ive been gone for 2 hrs and you keep talkin to each other. Well, TY all for helpin me. And sorry vesselle, I already reinstalled it unfortunatly. OK and as you all know, im comp illiterate so I dont know what the hell the cache is, but i think you'll tell me. and so after i do put the cheats back in, how do i do this cache thingy? elaboratly pleaz. and I know I love that voice too. it seems to be a good ranger voice cuz my main charcter in IWD now is a ranger and my bros ranger has the voice and my sis's and friends. I only put in the "easy as goblin pie" cuz i like it, but its not the ranger voice. and 1 more thing...I saved the IWD editor Dale Keeper on a floppy and opened it, but since vesselle told me to check the lil box under "open with" to Notepad...it keeps opening under that. How do I change that? (cuz i wanna use that DK thingy) and also...is there a book that tells you all this stuff about comps? like cache and all that comp term stuff? cuz my bro is in school for comp animation and i say i am although I only have 1 program and im not really learning from a school. I hate havin ppl being elaborate cuz of me. Dammit, I shulda taken that Comp Programming class in High School! **sighs** o'well.

elf + Disco erra = Elfro: Lord Underain

ps...Elfro is my character/sig on here and violet,pink,red,and blue are my colors. as ide from my copyright logo ~~~~~>
FREE THE HERB c.2001

------------------
"Naw...I dont think so. Just kidding...I'll do it" "Easy as goblin pie."
"Well **sigh**...looks like I'm gonna hafta go on a killing spree." "I know I know...show me a target...and I'll smash it!"
Come join Puzuzu @ www.spellsandmagic.com
Old 06-05-2001, 07:49 PM   #16
Sarak of ok'Onar

ok so im not luved?
Old 06-05-2001, 11:50 PM   #17
vesselle
Hathor

poor baby. got all ignored for so long.
*lol*
okay... the cache thingie.

make sure you close down your game when you do this.

go to your Icewind Dale folder.
it's prolly at:
C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale

expand it and you will see that the very first folder is "cache" and it prolly has a subfolder called "data".

okay, just select the "cache" folder, with all of its contents, including that other folder named "data" and delete the entire thingie.

that's it.

easy as pie.

reopen your game and continue as usual.

*smiles* don't worry! i will make you a computer nerd in no time flat!

V***V

Old 06-06-2001, 12:15 AM   #18
vesselle
Hathor

about the DaleKeeper stuff..i'm not totally sure what you mean when you say when you try to open it, it opens up notepad....

Dalekeeper is a program file otherwise known as an executable file ( or an ".exe" file). Apps and programs are opened by the windows system.
i have a feeling that you might be trying to open one of DaleKeeper's internal files instead of "Dalekeeper.exe".
or i prolly just misunderstood what you said.
*lol* wouldn't be the first time.

anyways, with notepad, all i had you do was to get notepad to remember that all files that end with .ini are going to be opened by notepad.

*smiles* really and truly. i wouldn't tell you to do something that would change the whole way windows runs.

okay. so now.
open up your Dalekeeper floppy and see what files are on it.
to run DaleKeeper, you only need to double click on "Dalekeeper.exe".

altho, you could possibly have a shortcut on it that says DaleKeeper. double clicking that should open it also.

try that, and if it still isn't working.... tell me the name of all the files on your Dalekeeper floppy and we will see whats what.

V***V

*runs back to Dorn's Deep to let LordRiker know it's her bedtime and smiles, cuz he should know that by now*

Old 06-06-2001, 09:38 AM   #19
Sarak of ok'Onar

ok, so for DK...when I save it, should I save it to floopy, or open it where it is???¿¿¿ Im saving it to floppy now but for the future. Ill tell you files are on in a sec.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:41 AM   #20
Sarak of ok'Onar

just saved it to floppy and what it is is dalekeeper.zip file. no .exe or ne thing else. Is the .zip file ok??? I dont have winzip ne more so what can I do???