Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 06-12-2002, 04:17 PM   #11
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
Why lawful good isnt always the best to take... for good allignmets
Lawful good isnt always the best to take BECAUSE it says a char that follows the law, right, but sometimes laws are wrong, and/or flaw'd. anyone here agree with me?
I get the gist of what you are saying. Laws are sometimes wrong. Look who the lawmakers are. Humans. A flawed being. But, Laws are made and generally agreed upon by the majority. And there are people such as paladins or police who are there to enforce these laws, right or wrong.
Tanoch Thas'ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #12
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

one point to make lawful anything doesn't mean they stictly or blindly obey laws, if a Paladin went to a kindom where daily ceremonial sacrifice of slaves was the law he would not participate, and unless the mission he was on was incredibly important he would attempt to influence people to change the laws, or in extreme cases help the unfortunates caught in the wheels of the political machine to bring down the government and bring about change through revolution there is a paladin kit in the paladins handbook where the paladins homeland either government, church or a combination of the two has erred or become corrupted and the paladin refused to go along with it and declared himself an Expatriot of that government or church, and while still lawful good and working to uphold and forge just laws seeks to overthrow the ones responsible for the fall into evil.

Whereas lawful evil would of course exploit the system to profit himself, and Lawful Neutral probably wouldn't care as long as the government was efficient.

Lawful good isn't as stringent as some people like to think of it, mainly it deals with a person's inner discipline, I see a chaotic neutral fighter as someone who would grow fat and lazy if not constantly adventuring and doing other things to keep himself fit, there is a lack of discipline in the personallity that influences how they react to laws, a very disciplined monk would find it impossible to behave in a chaotic manner, just as a chaotic evil mage wouldn't put on fireworks displays for children without 1) using one of the children as a bottlerocket, or 2) getting an obscene amount of payment for services rendered, and possibly adding some of #1 to #2.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:36 PM   #13
drewal
Drow Warrior

I think in addition to personal preference, a good deal of consideration should be given to the class one is choosing.

As for being NG, I would liken that alignment to the attitude of the namesake in the legend of Robin Hood.

Some people would say: "Robin Hood was clearly chaotic good. He flouted the laws."

But think of the organization Robin Hood brought to his merry band, and the very organized way they conducted their operations.

Being lawful good, on the other hand, does not mean blind adherence to the law. That is what a lawful neutral individual would do. "My country right or wrong," is an example of this thinking. Being lawful good is about seeking lawful ways to do good. If a law is not good, a lawful good individual would try to change the law rather than simply breaking it.

A chaotic good individual, on ther other hand, would simply break the law.

Any alignment is interesting so long as you role-play it right.