Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2002, 12:27 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I just installed my first CD-R/RW ROM Drive. I understand what an Audio-CD and a Data-CD are but I was wondering what a Mixed Mode-CD is? Is it a CD that burns both data and music, i.e., movies or games that have both data and music? The reason for my inquiry is that I have to reformat my harddrive and I have Trials of the Luremaster on my harddrive (the free download expansion for the Heart of Winter expansion to Icewind Dale) and I don't feel like waiting forever to have to download it again which takes for ages over a modem. Now TotL has both data (characters, buildings, monsters, etc.)and music. How would you suggest I burn it to a CD? As a mixed mode CD? AND if this is illegal, remember, I never really wrote this.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

burn it as DATA, data works for everything

only use mixed mode if you have a game that you also want to have a soundtrack on the same disk that can be plyaed in a CD player rather than on a computer [img]tongue.gif[/img] + those audio files aren't just ANY old music, they're WAVs and Bioware tends to not use WAVs [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 01:33 PM   #3
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Sence its free its not illigal only if you sell it over media cost. I would burn it as a data cd, because you aren't going to do anything with it except coppy the data back to your hard drive.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

burn it as a data cd, the difference is all in how it looks at the files (folders, vs. tracks) music files burns as data cd's will still work on your computer, but not in an mp3 player/cd player able to play mp3's, however if you want mp3's to play on a cd player (many newer cd players support mp3 file formats) then you'll have to choose. AFAIK mixed format cd's just let you put both kinds of formats on the disk (have your data, and play the music in a suitable player) I could be wrong, and if I am someone please correct me.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:38 PM   #5
B_part
Quintesson

Well, if you were able to LEGALLY download it for free, you are entitled to make a copy for yourself as long as you don't get any profit from it (=sell it). By the way, this is true also for many games: you are allowed one copy for backup purposes.

Anyway, music (mp3,wav, whatever) is normal data, saved in normal files: just create a data cd containing the installation file(s).

Mixed mode is used to make cds like those of some artists, where alongside the normal audio tracks you read in your cd-player (.cda), there are some data tracks you can read on your computer (generally videoclips). The mode is useful only when you are making such a CD, which seldom happens.
Also, to copy a mixed mode cd, you simply copy from cd to cd using the "clone-cd" function.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:58 PM   #6
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by B_part:
Well, if you were able to LEGALLY download it for free, you are entitled to make a copy for yourself as long as you don't get any profit from it (=sell it). By the way, this is true also for many games: you are allowed one copy for backup purposes.
Check the EULA. In many cases you didn't actually buy the software, you purchased a license to use it.