Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Does anyone have any ideas how to extricate ourselves from this mess?

This week we have had sabotage on an oil pipeline which will take weeks to repair, causing the price of oil to rise and costing $7 billion a day. A water pipeline in Baghdad was badly damaged stopping the water supply. Electricity power lines are stripped of their copper as soon as they are replaced. Further attacks on US/British forces and the first death of a Danish serviceman (possibly by friendly fire). A mortar attack on a prison kills six people and wounds 58 more and a Reuters' cameraman is mistakenly killed by a US soldier.

There is no sign of life returning to normal whilst all this is going on and until that happens we are forced to remain there. However, how long will the American people continue to support the occupation as the cost in lives as well as in $$ is mounting?

I'm old enough to remember pictures of the body bags during the Viatnamese war, I notice we don't see those any more.

What should we do?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Turn back the clock ?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Howabout we start showing the body bags. Then, at least everyone will care enough to address the issues one way or another.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:36 AM   #4
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Well, if the Iraqi peope are going to resist the U.S. at every turn maybe we should just leave the place "as is". I mean , if they are going to strip wires for the copper in them, break the water system just as soon as we fix it , and break a previosly undamaged pipeline we should just leave them to it. When they have to find the people and the money to fix all of this stuff themselves then maybe they will cut out the monkey busniess.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:42 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Well, if the Iraqi peope are going to resist the U.S. at every turn maybe we should just leave the place "as is". I mean , if they are going to strip wires for the copper in them, break the water system just as soon as we fix it , and break a previosly undamaged pipeline we should just leave them to it. When they have to find the people and the money to fix all of this stuff themselves then maybe they will cut out the monkey busniess.
The people doing the sabotage are counting on that very action. The general population then turn against the troops and the troops leave. Saddam (or his followers) comes back, takes revenge and we're back to square one.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
GForce

The exit might happen if Bush doesn't get re-elected. Just a thougt and my opinion, please don't flame me if you are for Bush.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
The exit might happen if Bush doesn't get re-elected. Just a thougt and my opinion, please don't flame me if you are for Bush.
I think that is likely. However, as long as Dubya is in the White House, I imagine we will be in Iraq. Hopefully, by then most of the funny business will be over and Saddom dead or at the very least in some hellhole of a prison and Iraq on it's way to peace and prosperity.

I think it would be somewhat short sighted on our part to not leave some forces there, say maybe in some isolated base, just to make sure it doesn't start back up again.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmm.... I wonder whether the whole affiar may be a ruse.

*Best Television announcer voice*

Yes, right now, for a limited time, The Annex Store is proud to offer you your own ready-made Middle Eastern hotbed. Simply let our friendly staff of polemico experts fabricate the need for war in a despotism of your choosing. Then, roll in your tanks and declare marshall rule.

Not only can you train your troops to be veterans in live combat situations and end up with some small oil resources as recompense, but you can focus all that unwanted attention elsewhere! Unify your paranoid peoples while ridding the world of eeeeevil and end up with your very own terrorist-activity theme park! Just watch as your enemy insurgents make haste to exit your home country and flood into your empiracle expansion! Domestic woes simply melt away!

We guarantee a 90% refocusing of terrorist efforts against your government or YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!

Don't delay! Call now!
__________________________________________________ _

Offer void where prohibited by law. Tanks, military hardware, and enemy armed forces not included. Prices vary by geographic region and do not include state and local sales tax for services. Staff not really very friendly. This offer may not comply with the international conventions your country has ratified. Legal services not provided. Money back guarantee good for 90 days.

[ 08-18-2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 08-19-2003, 05:59 AM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Hmmmm.... I wonder whether the whole affiar may be a ruse.

LOL - good stuff TL, a bit cynical but funny!
Old 08-19-2003, 06:33 AM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas how to extricate ourselves from this mess?
Isn't that Dubyas problem... he got you into it this mess, he should get you out...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote