Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #51
dplax
Jack Burton

Vindson

It was only as Anarrima gave the wolf a rub, that Vindson glanced at it. It looked slightly peculiar for a wolf, but Vindson did not mention anything about it. He had let his tongue run loose already too much.

"I have staffs and staves of my own, but I would not propose them to you. I saw during my travels the wood that elves prefer. It isn't the easiest to work with, so I do not usually use it, but if you do bring me suitable wood, I shall fashion a staff following your instructions."

Vindson of course noticed that the elf was already carrying a staff, but he did not ask why she needed another one.

"As for a tailor...the best in town can be found at the temple, just to the north-east from here."

Questions can wait. Let her get used to the town first. It's not like she'll be hard to find. If she wants a staff and new clothes, making those shall take several days. The only place she can stay at is the inn.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #52
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Anarrima

"Thank you for your help, Mr. Vindson. I shall return with the chosen wood when I find it."

She looked down to the wolf at her side.

"Let's go visit this temple then."

She left the shop and headed towards the temple, which was practically next door. Thank goodness for small towns, she mused.

The temple was a building devoted to Demeter, and she understood why these humans would have a house built to Her here. This was a farming town. Their lives depended on their crops.

Stepping inside, along with Tao of course, she was immediately met with a priest of Demeter who had come at the sound of the door opening.

Anarrima explained her situation of the need for new clothes but it appeared that in this town, the mothers and wives usually did their own tailorwork. There were however new rolls of fine cloth of many colors for her to choose from. Anarrima was delighted by this and chose her new measures of cloth, staying with her favored appearance of white with golden trim. She also bought some heavy material in midnight blue to remake her cloak. When she made her purchases, she and Tao headed towards the Inn.

Once inside their room that Ana purchased, Ana turned to Tao.

"Do you have the strength to resume your human form, Lady?"
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #53
TAOWolf
White Dragon

Kaylisa TAO Wolf

The healing from the "nurse" had been an unusual experience. She cocked her head to the side as she followed Ana around, thinking about that. By the time the woman had finished, she had not been very afraid of the "wolf" anymore, and had even fondly scratched behind her ears before telling her that the healing was done. At least as far as her powers would let her. She shook her head, thinking about that. It had not been easy to hide certain things from that woman, things she did not need to know. But at least Ana knew SOME, (though not close to all) of what was wrong with her, and the human had given her instructions on how to use the medicine she had given to Ana.

Padding along beside Ana, she keeps the children at bay, not by showing teeth or growling, but by acting shy and hiding around Ana's skirts. ~acting like a dog... how revolting....!~ she thinks to herself and chuckles, which comes out as a soft ruff to anyone near. She does feel quite better, but knows that she has herbs she must acquire and she must find the nearest oak grove soon. Her stomach growls again and she wags her tail, absently...

As they walk into a shop in the town, she hesitates at the door, looking at the doorframe, thinking to herself it was well-made and noticed the type of wood used. Remebering she is in wolf form, she shakes her head and pads the rest of the way in. She winces as Ana taps her staff on the ground to get the shopkeepers attention... ~I must remember to warn her about doing that...~ Given Ana's elven background, she could possibly do magic unknowingly through that staff. Luckily she did not tap verra hard.

She sits down next to Ana, and wags her tail, sensing the presence of the shopkeeper. There are herbs here she needs… She is going to have to change to human form at the Inn… And also teach Ana how to talk to her in wolf form. Being of elven origin, it shouldn’t be too hard to teach her a few things.

At the temple, she again pauses at the door, and lowers her nose to her front paw in deference to Demeter, then follows Ana in. A beautiful black cloth that has silver and purple trim, catches her eyes and she wags her tail. Just one more thing to mention to Ana when they get to their room.

As they walk through the Inn to their room, she can feel the stares of the few people around in the main room, and she stares at a couple before following Ana up. Upon entering the room, she shakes again and looks up at Ana when she asks her if she can change. She barks once, loudly, and smiling only as a wolf can, she slams both front paws to the floor.

The moonstone on her bracer sends out a blinding light. When the light dies down, Kaylisa sways a little, then wobbles over to a chair and sits, holding her head for a moment.

”Yes, I can shift.. but it is harder than before. I need some herbs from that shop. And I have a feeling the shopkeeper is wondering why you need a second staff. You will need a good story for that. I will write down what I need from the shop, and I saw some black cloth trimmed in silver and purple. Would you get some of that also for me from the temple? I have a spell in one of my pouches that you can use to make us some clothes. A verra simple spell it is, one a lot of weavers use. And be wary… I think the shopkeeper is smitten with you!”

She chuckles, and is already feeling a little better. The headache is still there, of course, but the shadow seems to be a little less for now. That is good. She needs to be sharp while in town. With that she also remembers something else.

”I need to find an oak grove close to this village. I need to pray, and I want to talk to the trees, and see what is going on out there. I didn’t see anything mind you, but I did sense something wrong out there in the forest. Something not good…..

And something else.. my staff holds alot of power to the unknowing.. with your elven blood, you could possibly set some off without meaning to. Like the tapping on the floor. Remember what happened during the fight when I did that? And we must teach you some "wolf speak" since we do not know how long we will be here. I arrived in wolf form, it is better to not be seen in human form except in this room, I think...”

[ 03-06-2007, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]
TAOWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:04 AM   #54
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Gillian

Gillian stared at Kuankreid for a moment trying to make sense of the elf’s somewhat absent-minded greeting to the still silent harbour master. He felt a pang of sympathy – perhaps the elf was sicker than he looked. He let his eyes widen in mock concern and turned again to the harbour master with a grave expression. ”I’m sorry. It seems to be more serious that I thought.” He took the unresisting official by the arm, took him to one side and lowered his voice. ”My master’s name is Kuankreid. I’m sorry but he has not told me his purpose in being here but perhaps you could find us later at the inn when he is in better control of his faculties. I understand there is an inn in the south of town yes?” The harbour master nodded to this not taking his eyes off Kuankreid who he was watching as if he feared he might explode. Gillian smiled faintly at the man’s reaction. Good enough, he thought.

”Great”, Gillian beamed, “then I shall take him off your hands. Thank you very much for your kind welcome and your assistance.” The townsman turned to Gillian with a look of hopeless gratitude on his face and without saying another word walked briskly back to the hut, entering and closing the door firmly behind him.

Smiling Gillian turned back to Kuan, “Right then,” he said briskly, "lets get us somewhere to rest. You know what they say about the only cure for seasickness.”

. . .

Gillian sat on the narrow bed turning a tiny glass jar over in his fingers, deep in thought. The jar contained the ointment that would enable a mage more powerful than him to cast the ‘True Seeing’ spell. The mushroom powder required had cost Gillian most of what was left of his money, especially since the Diviner he had consulted on its making had demanded half the quantity on top of his fee. Hopefully it would help in his approaches to Oley. If the rumours and stories he had uncovered were true, he had no expectations that such a modest gift would seal the deal but it couldn’t hurt and besides, his parents had taught him never to visit anyone without bringing a bottle.

He smiled at the thought, left the ointment on the bed, and walked to the other side of the room. Looking at the cot with a speculative eye he tried to see if he had left any signs that it had been disturbed then nodded apparently satisfied. Earlier he had moved the bed aside and lifted a section of the floorboards to cache his more valuable items. He had a lock for the door but in a country inn like this it would attract more attention than the fleeting security it would provide – perhaps he should offer it to Kuan later.

Gillian smiled in sympathy at the elf’s seasickness. Kuan was still suffering on arrival at the inn and had been happy to go straight to his room to rest. For an elven mage in a small country town Kuan had attracted a lot less attention than Gillian had expected. Most townsfolk they had passed had glanced their way but none seemed especially surprised or disturbed. At least what curiosity he had seen had been directed towards his companion. Still it was strange. His burglar’s eye had also caused him to notice an unusual lack of guards on the gates or in the town itself. He should find out about that sooner rather than later. Not that he was here for nefarious reasons but, well, it didn’t hurt to know these things.

He stretched and walked back to the bed, retrieved the ointment and tucked it in a pouch on his belt. Leaving the room and closing the door behind him he headed down to the now quieter common room. Catching sight of the innkeeper he walked over and smiled at the fellow. ”Busy day?” he asked getting an exasperated acknowledgement in response. The man had seemed rushed and more that a little bit flustered when they arrived even though the place was practically empty. “Is there somewhere I can get something to eat and drink? Just for one. I fear master Kuankreid will not be eating for a little while longer.” He shared a knowing smile with the innkeeper before following his directions to the pub opposite. He entered and took a small table near the wall and waited to be noticed by the serving girl. Now was the time to watch and listen and to think through his next move.

[ 03-07-2007, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #55
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Vincent Pathfinder

Flirting a bit with the nurse while receiving medical care, Vincent was able to get a bit of information on this new town and the status of there mental health. They were all a bit on edge, afraid of the woods that had provided so much for the small community. He wondered what it could be, and thought maybe about hanging around and seeing if he could and possibly get those he came with to help as well. Heading around the corner, he wanted to speak with the man named Vindson about the possible crafting of a bow. As he made his way there he caught a glimpse of Ana and Tao, by the looks of it, just leaving the very same shop. Heading in, he took the shop in and the positioning of items in the room, giving it a quick appraisal as his old habits took over for a moment. Seeing a gentleman just beyond the counter he called out, "May ye be Vindson, renowned smithy to Lockesville"? Vincent smiled a warming smile and waited for the man to reply.
Elif Godson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #56
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Anarrima

Ana was glad to be speaking with Lady Tao again. It appeared that whatever had been plaguing her had no effect while she was a wolf, nor immediately right after. Maybe it be best if she stayed a wolf for a while for her own health, she pondered as she listened to Tao's grocery list. What a wonderful gift the gods bestowed upon her...being so close to nature. Elves fashioned themselves as masters in the understanding of nature, but some like Tao had a special talent that would make some elves jealous!

The list was ready and Ana was ready to go back out to pick up for Tao what she needed. She'd go and get these items and allow Tao a moment's peace before coming back and the both of them would venture into the forest with the boys. They needed to come along for protection, of course. While Ana would be seeking out her staff material and Tao would be communing with the forest, Yevaud and Vincent could stand watch in the event that this strange creature that everyone is so afraid of might not make an appearance while they were caught unprepared. Or worse...if they happened upon that odd little dwarf again with his trigger-happy human friend.

Ana decided not to venture out again with Tao's staff. It worried her that she had been so close to disaster for not treating it properly. So interesting that was...a staff that contained so much power, ready to be tapped...quite literally.

She closed the door after waving to Tao and set back into the streets, thinking to go first by the temple again for Tao's cloth.

OOC>>>My next post will be Ana returning from the markets and back to the Inn, as I don't need to RP her shopping again. I'll wait until Vincent is finished making his purchases and is back at the Inn before Ana is, for time-accuracy.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #57
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Locke Manor – The Guest Wing

Joseph

The town. Nothing means as much to the brothers as this town of theirs. Sooner or later everything comes back to a question of the town - which implies, of course, that most things likely begin in their thinking with a question of the town as well. He smiles inwardly. Hobbies are good things to have, and if taking care of a town is what works for a guy who is he to be bothered by that? “Rest easy about the kid,” his voice now settles into another cadence, this one somewhere in between the scholarly good humor and the blunt peasant jargon that had previously marked his speech, “he’s nowhere to be found. And if anyone was to be looking, the kid would be the one they’d be hunting.” He pauses and grows thoughtful. “That’s good for now. But in time, I’m the one they’ll be troubled about. You see, Simon, the kid wasn’t completely dishonest when he spun that yarn about going near to the Tower of Shadow. I got the kid in there, and getting back out of there is what brought us here. Nobody laid a glove on me the whole time, but just getting the job done damn near killed me, as you and your brother know. But.....” He smiles and there is a note of genuine pride in his voice, the pride of an artist who knows he has produced a masterwork, “..... what a show. There’s nobody that can say they managed to do what I did in there. Just getting into that place...... you shoulda been there, Simon. You shoulda been there.....”

“Anyway,” his tone becomes more business-like, “as I was saying, the kid ain’t nowhere to be found. I know that because I can’t see him in the mirror.” There is an easy grace even about the casual movement of his arm to indicate the large mirror hanging upon the wall over the dressing table. As he does so images of the area surrounding Lockesville shift vividly within the glass. “You know,” he continues, “I picked this town because it’s the kind of steady and reliable place where nothing all that special ever really happens.” He laughs. “Seems to me I ain’t the only one that felt that way.” Once more images flash across the mirror - a band of weary adventurers at the city gates, a boat arriving at the docks, a dwarf and a human. “Wouldn’t you know it,” he mutters, “I find a place I think no one else knows about and it becomes a damn tourist trap.”

He speaks more plainly as Simon gazes at the shifting images in the mirror. “I hate to say it, pal, but life looks like it’s not going to the same here – not by a long shot. The thing is, you and your brother can just watch as me and all these others just kick what you’ve built all to hell or you can take a hand in managing things so that don’t happen. I don’t know you guys all that well, but I know this town means to you what my art means to me – that’s a thing a guy like me can respect. Adventurers, though, don't tend to appreciate stuff like that.” The images stop their movement in the mirror, replaced by the steady gaze of the one who calls himself Joseph whose reflected eyes hold the attention of the younger Locke brother. “If I can presume on your hospitality a bit longer so that I can study and recover and get a bit of work done, I’ll do what I can to help you guys make sure this town of yours isn’t trapped in some kind of long and painful amateur night. And as for whatever might be out looking for me or the kid, you let me worry about that." He smiles. "Impossible odds are the best odds because that's where a guy can make really great art." His expression grows serious once more. "And you’ve got things closer to home to worry about.” His reflected features recede from the mirror to be replaced by a view of the manor’s interior, and of an unexpected visitor.

“Friend of yours?”
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #58
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Kuankreid (&Ainyra)

After offering a weak smile and a half nod to the grimacing harbour master, Kuan followed Gillian silently. As soon as they were out of the man’s earshot, the elf murmured, “My thanks. I fear I am less than decent company, my friend.” He paused and then forced a half-hearted grin, “I doubt I could have held him off.

“And you are right, of course. Rest would be most welcome. ”

~~~

And so it had been, Kuan had turned in. The door of course, he had firmly locked behind him, Alone in his own room at last, he set his pack down and walked over to the window. The view was not the best he had seen, though it was by no means the worse. At least there was no endless sea rolling out in wave after wave after ‘ugh…’

Kuan groaned and focused not on the less than scenic view of the town, but rather on his room. A small bed; a dresser, a chair and an old wardrobe. Fine by him. Although he’d been in less spartan rooms before, he preferred a little more colour in his surroundings. Even a tapestry or painting provided a welcome distraction to the grey expense of stone walls surrounding him, or the mud huts and their sticks. He sighed and put his hand to his temple. He should probably rest.

No sooner than he had sat down than an indignant squawk emanated from his pack…

“How long do you intend to leave me in here?” Ainyra demanded, the small sprite desperately attempting to unbuckle the satchel straps from the inside and failing. “Do you intend to keep me here? Locked away, confined and unable to escape, hmm?” asked the sprite archly, if a little muffled by the bag, “Now do undo this for me, will you?” She tsked, shaking her head and muttering about ‘boys too foolishly absorbed in their own self pity to see to their duties first’.

Once Kuan had done as instructed, she flew out of her ‘nest’ and hovered in front of him, scolding him for keeping her waiting for so long. “Now I suppose you’ll want to sleep and forget all about my needs, won’t you? I bet you haven’t secured a basin of water for me to bathe in yet, have you?” before he could reply, she cut him off, “No, I didn’t think so. Now, sick as you are, I expect you’ll want to sleep. Hmm.” she pondered for a long moment, “I could jab you a few times with one of my arrows; that might put you out.”

“Uh, didn’t you try that the last time I couldn’t sleep?”

“Yes, and it worked, didn’t it?”

“I seem to recall you jabbing me over a dozen times before it put me to sleep… my arm was numb for a week.”

“I can always jab your leg, like I suggested last time. Then you could move your arm.” she sniffed, almost disdainfully, “You whine too much, Koona. You should be grateful I care about you so much.”

“I thought I told you not to call me that… and besides, I’d not be able to sit down for just as long.”

“See, there you go complaining again.” She sighed a long suffering sigh, then added imperiously, “Then don’t whinge about your arm next time. Now, do you want me to see if I can help you sleep or not?”

“I’ll pass.” Kuan answered dryly, paused for a moment and commented impetuously knowing he’d regret it the instant his words left his mouth, “Of course, you could always sing me a lullaby – that always puts me to sleep.”

“Kuankreid! That’s a horrible thing to say!” the little sprite stammered, her eyes welling up with glistening tears, “I try to do my best to look after you… and… and all you can do is be mean to me!”

“I’m sorry, Ainie,” the young elf sighed, “You know I don’t mean to upset you. I’m just feeling ill.”

She sniffed, and landed on his shoulder, blowing her little nose into his raven locks, “I thought you said elves didn’t get seasick?” she questioned, having dried her tears. “‘Oh no,’ you said, ‘the sea won’t affect me!’”

“I didn’t think it would! And… I didn’t say it like that!”

“’course not.” Ainyra sighed, “There’s just no talking to you, is there? Get some sleep, Koona. I’ll be watching over you. Call me if you need anything.”

“Thanks, I feel so much more at ease.” he muttered dryly.

“I should hope so!”

Inwardly, Kuan sighed, ’Women! They’re utterly insufferable! What’s got into her anyway? Maybe it was being shut away for so long. It was only a couple of hours, if that… and she chose to! Why is she blaming me?!’

“Because you took too long. Now hush up and sleep. And take your boots off too. You may be an elf, and a good deal cleaner than many humans, but you’re still a boy and left alone, you’ll cut corners and skip out on basic chores. You’d better clean your teeth when you wake up too, because you have bad breath that I have to smell each time you turn and talk to me.”

“If you didn’t insist on flying so close to my head… ow! You smacked me?! What was that for?!”

“For being rude.” she said aloud, then chided, “Now go to bed.”

“When did you become my mother?”

She beamed, lighting up her pretty little face with the warmest, most innocent of her smiles – and utterly false, “Well someone has to take care of you. Now behave, or I’ll take your spellbook from you for a week.”

“And if we’re attacked?!” Kuan’s voice was incredulous; surely no other mage had to deal with this sort of thing from his familiar?

“Then you’ll have to make do. I won’t tell you a third time, young man.”

“Yes mother

“Good boy. If only you’d listen to me more often.” she sighed a long despairing sigh, but noted in approval he was actually obeying her for a chance. Perhaps if she nagged more often…?

~~~

And so Kuan rested. No doubt the morning would find him sleeping, only to be rudely awoken by Airyra who would tell him he was being lazy and lying around in bed for too long – and she was hungry, and he should eat. Such was their relationship when he was feeling under the weather.

He would travel downstairs for breakfast and eat either at the inn, or the pub; whichever served hot food. Simple porridge would do him; the honey and nuts Ainyra would steal for herself.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #59
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sever

Pressed flat against a darkened corridor wall within the Lockesville Manor, Sever found himself growing impatient. It had taken much too long to complete the seemingly simple task he'd assigned himself. Long enough that he didn't favour his chances of linking up with Pandaros and Xaver without a suitably convincing explanation. Maybe if he'd told them before he stole away it'd be a different story, but as it was, he was pushing it.

After visiting Vindson earlier, Sever was, as he liked to refer to it, a full picture of mischief once again. His thief's armour (damaged in the warehouse fire) had been expertly repaired and a shiny new silver wakizashi hung in its sheath about his waist. The extra stealth that a full set of blackened armour provided had lent him the confidence to attempt his current task though it was hardly important to the mission the trio had been assigned.

A servant, one of many it seemed, casually walked past, oblivious to the shadowy figure pressed against the wall. The servants had proved to be the biggest hurdle so far. Entry to the manor had been as simple as lockpicking the servants door but he'd grossly underestimated just how busy the Lockesville Manor was at any given time of the day. Still, the snippets of conversation they'd unknowingly offered had only served to pique the thief's interest even more. The atmosphere generated by these "guests" (or "guest" as the servants now referred to him or her) hardly seemed to be normal. He'd guessed as much from the Locke Brothers' reaction to their arrival during dinner the previous night but the more he heard, the more he realised that it was even less ordinary than he imagined. It was beyond a thief's willpower to resist knowing about such.. such interesting topics and his curiosity had now driven him to within a few feet from the guest wing.

Yet another servant hurried along on one errand or another and, on their passing, Sever stole the opportunity to sneak into the corridor of the guest wing, gently closing the door behind him. Pressing his ears against the walls, muffled voices could be heard from within one of the rooms. He couldn't make out what it was that they were saying, but he knew Simon's voice to be one of them. The other, a male's voice seemingly well practiced in art of holding one's attention, was talking at length about something that Sever couldn't make out. He inched his way further along the wall hoping to decipher what was being said but all the time conscious of any traffic around him. When the voice abruptly ceased, so too did the thief. An uncomfortably long instant of silence followed...
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #60
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Gillian

Gillian toyed with the remains of his meal, nibbled a nugget of meat from a lamb chop and sucked it thoughtfully. He was in Lockesville to learn magic. When he discovered the art a few years ago his newfound zeal had caused him to ignore the caution his merchant father had tried to instill in him and that he had developed himself in the course of his extra-curricular activities. The result was that word traveled quickly about the ‘rich boy’ who was looking to be a mage. Unfortunately, Gillian’s failed attempt to burgle the mage’s house had done nothing for his reputation with the city’s magical community so had been unable to secure an apprenticeship or even anyone who would tutor him. What he had learned he had taught himself with the odd bit of expensive help from visiting magic users.

Then a few weeks ago an associate of his fathers, an eastern merchant named Kang, claimed a trading relationship with the Order of Hermes and had started talking about the Order while dining at their home. Over the sweet wine the man had talked at some length of a ‘disgraced’ archmage who had voluntarily left the order under mysterious circumstances several years ago - something that had never happened before or since. This person was Oley – the man that Gillian had come to Lockeville to find. One of the trader’s agents had just visited Lockeville and in his report had mentioned Oley and apparently the trader had made the connection. So there it was - a potential solution to his problem.

The trouble was that Gillian was suspicious. He was unsure why the trader had felt the need to divulge this information to his hosts. It was possible that he had learned of Gillian’s interest in magic from his father and merely sought to ingratiate himself with another member of the family. Perhaps, like many men and women of his type he sought to raise his own status through association with the powerful. However, this was a man who rarely opened his mouth without considering the likely effect on his fortune and you had to wonder if there was more to it than that. Gillian’s concerns though, were insufficient to outweigh the possibilities inherent in the trader’s tale. The idea of a powerful but renegade mage, outside the confines of the closed world of organised magic seemed too good to be true. But then these things are described as too good to be true for a reason.

So Gillian was being cautious. He had thought of nothing else since he had learned of the possibility but still had precious little to go on. He would need to go carefully and he would need to learn a lot more. Right here would do fine for today. Careful listening and some casual conversation could reveal much. Calling the serving girl over he ordered a glass of wine and, opening his journal, went over the notes he had made on the voyage adding an annotation here and there.
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote