Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-01-2003, 12:07 PM   #21
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I wouldn't recommend RtCW though. I went through that game in a couple of days, and the multiplayer sucks because the people on there are so good. I still say you should check out Arx, it's a beaut.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:14 PM   #22
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
I wouldn't recommend RtCW though. I went through that game in a couple of days, and the multiplayer sucks because the people on there are so good. I still say you should check out Arx, it's a beaut.
But Arx Fatalis is still just a single-person shooter, isn't it?
Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:29 PM   #23
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
But Arx Fatalis is still just a single-person shooter, isn't it?
Thanks, but no thanks.
[/QUOTE]That's the magnitude of it. It's a relatively short game (for those who know what to do), but IIRC it was made by a small up-and-coming company called Arkane Studios. I'm not really that great for boasting, but here's a clip from the RPGDot review:

"Everything in Arx Fatalis, beginning with the clever dungeon design, the exciting story or the challenging puzzles makes it the most intelligent RPG these days! If you love sophisticated gameplay (or an Ultima Underworld Fan), there is no way for you to avoid Arx Fatalis, if not, go ahead and play Diablo or Dungeon Siege, but be sure you will miss something very special."

I've never played Ultima, so I can't say if it compares, but Gamespot had to say:

"Overall, Arx Fatalis looks very impressive. Although aiming to be the successor to the Ultima Underworld series is a daunting task, Arkane may be on the verge of pulling this remarkable feat off."

Man, all I'm saying is that it's worth a try. It's like a refresher course of W&W, only twice as good in story and gameplay.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:58 AM   #24
Thoran
Galvatron

I played Arx Fatalis a bit last month, and it seems to be a solid game... but right now I've got a bunch of games on the burner so I didn't really get into it yet, perhaps because it IS so much like UU that I feel like I've already "done that" [img]smile.gif[/img] . I'll get back to it eventually, I usually finish all my games (although NWN might not make it).