Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

March 8, 2002

Nurse's aide lets man she hit bleed to death
By Hugh Aynesworth
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

FORT WORTH, Texas — A 25-year-old nurse's aide has been charged with murder after her admission that she hit a homeless man on a Texas highway, impaled him in her windshield and watched him slowly die two days later in her garage, as he moaned and begged for help.

The man, a 37-year-old mentally deficient drifter described as "a gentle, gentle soul" by one homeless-shelter worker, has been identified as Gregory Glen Biggs. His body was discovered in a park in Fort Worth several days after the accident in October.
Police conjectured that he had been a hit-and-run victim, but the Tarrant County medical examiner said the man had no internal injuries.
"We thought the body had been dumped there because there wasn't enough blood, and they were telling us he obviously bled to death," said one Fort Worth cop.
A series of tips — from those who were suspicious that Chante Mallard had abandoned her car to others to whom she had told conflicting stories about "an accident" — led police to her in February.
Fort Worth police, accustomed to seeing brutality, were appalled as Miss Mallard calmly told them what she had done.
She said she had been drinking heavily and using Ecstasy that October night, and while driving to her south Fort Worth home, she hit the man. The impact, she said, drove him headfirst inside the windshield, his mangled legs protruding onto the hood.
She told the police she panicked and drove to her home and quickly parked the car inside her garage, with the victim moaning and pleading for help. Miss Mallard said she went inside and went to bed. She heard his moaning, but still offered him no help. She went to the garage several times in the next two days to talk to him, she said, but added that she ignored his pleas for help.
Two, possibly three, days later, the man died of loss of blood and shock.
Then Miss Mallard said that she gathered several acquaintances and got them to pull the body out of the windshield and stow it in the trunk of another car. Several persons then took the victim and tossed him in Cobb Park, where two men discovered it the next day.
Richard Alpert, a Tarrant County assistant district attorney, said he couldn't describe his feelings. "I'm going to have to come up with a new word," he said. "Indifferent isn't enough. Cruel isn't enough to say. Maybe we've just redefined inhumanity here."
Mike Heiskell, a Fort Worth lawyer representing Miss Mallard, said he thinks the prosecutors are overstepping "reality" in charging his client with murder. "I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid."
Mr. Alpert strongly disagreed.
"This goes so far beyond failure to stop and render aid because she did more than render aid. She made it impossible for anyone else to do so," he said.
"If he had gotten medical attention," said Fort Worth Police Sgt. John Fahrenthold, "he probably would have survived."
Dee Hunter, who worked at an outreach center where Mr. Biggs often sought shelter, said, "He was a nice man, such a gentle, gentle soul. How could anybody do such a thing?" she asked. "And then just ... oh, I can't even talk about it. He was such a nice man. He didn't deserve to die the way he did."
Mr. Biggs' mother, Meredith Biggs, who had not seen her son for several years, told police she had recently begun looking for him. "How could she just leave him like that to die? Drugs and alcohol wear off, so why didn't she get him some help? I should have prayed more," she said.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:55 PM   #2
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

pardon my language but the bitch deserves to die the same way he did:slowly bleeding to death while her executioner comes out and talks with her and ignores HER pleas for help.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:06 PM   #3
jabidas
Silver Dragon

What a very sick person. She must be very messed up in her head, complete psycho.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Right on, khazadman!

Her actions are completely REPREHENSIBLE!!!!

There is NO EXCUSE for any person to do what she did...but for some one whose job is to CARE FOR THE INJURED to commit such an act is absolutely UNTHINKABLE!!!!

I agree with you that my initial reaction is to exact "an eye for an eye"...however, since she is ONLY 25, I find the idea of her spending the rest of her life in prison thinking about what she did every day even more appealing.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:29 PM   #5
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Is there no retrubution for her then. I think guilt like the guilt of crime and punishment and an attempt to spend the rest her time helping others would make her eligible for the world again. I dont believe in wrongs that cannot be fixed, or at least attempted to be made up for. She is quite clearly absolutley messed up.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:56 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

jabidas,

Despite what her lawyer wants us to think, this is NOT a case of hit-and-run and failure to render aid at the scene. If she had hit the guy and kept going, that would be understandable (although still not excusable) in her "messed up" state-of-mind at the time.

But this wasn't just a "spur of the moment" bad decision where she left somebody dying in the street.

She left this guy impaled on her windshield for 3 DAYS until he slowly bled to death....moaning for help the entire time. She admitted that she talked to him several times but ignored his pleas for help.

She had PLENTY of time to consider the repurcussions of her actions. She may have been in an "altered" state when the accident occurred, but the alcohol and drugs had LONG worn off by the time he finally died.

The D.A. described it correctly by calling her "inhuman". As eloquent as the English language is...there are not sufficient words to describe the cold-hearted callousness of her act.

Then, she recruited "several friends" to help dispose of the bodies. WHO THE HECK ARE THESE PEOPLE?!?!?!?! I am fiercely loyal to my friends, but if any of them called me to help in a situation like this, I would knock them out and haul them to jail myself.

The bottom line is that Chante Mallard made a cold and calculated decision to allow this man to die. She could have (and should have) taken him to a hospital for immediate medical attention. But since she didn't, she could have AT LEAST offered aid herself...again, she deliberately chose NOT to aid him.

There is no possible way to describe her other than a COLD-BLOODED MURDERER!!!
Old 03-08-2002, 05:06 PM   #7
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Im not saying it wasnt inhuman but do you not think she was probably a psychological car wreck to do it. Cause and effect, if its any help I dont believe in the death sentance either. I believe in fixing things and people. What she did was hideous but why throw away another life, vengance is neither right or moral no matter how horrible the crime.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: jabidas ]

Old 03-08-2002, 05:13 PM   #8
Arvon
Unicorn

Pardon me if I'm a little skeptical. I heard the story on the radio in a news broadcast. BUT this has all the marks of an Urban Legend. I will say if it really is true then the woman should be held for murder one, and dealt with that way.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:30 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Arvon, Let me assure you that this is not an urban legend. I live near Ft. Worth, and there have been pictures in the paper and on TV of the woman, the car, and her house. It is no legend, let me repeat. It is, as you may well believe, a "big deal" here in North Texas.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:30 PM   #10
GEEK
The Magister

If it is true she sounds like a waste of good oxygen that I could be breathing. I think she should die instead of get life in prison because I am tired of supporting criminals for life while they watch tv in prison, get out, kill again, then go back. Life doesn't mean life in the US. You can still get paroled with a life sentance and then its back to the same old thing for most criminals. The ones that do make it don't justify the ones that repeat their crimes. It seems like instead of punishing them and PROTECTING the people they create a revolving door policy for job security.

Her crimes, if true, are such that show a complete lack of reguard for other people. He paid for it with his life and so should she.

We just had someone here arrested the other day for beating a 17 day old child to death because he found out it wasn't his. Are these the people you want as neighbors? I don't.