Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

The American author and director, Michael Moore has won the Palme D'or at the Cannes film festival for his documentary, 'Fahrenheit 9/11', about the politics of United States President George Bush. The anti-Bush documentary casts a critical look at the attacks of September 11th and the wars with Afghanistan and Iraq.

It is the first time that a documentary has won the Palme D'or. Michael Moore has devoted his win to the people of Iraq. Last year, the director received an award at Cannes for his documentary 'Bowling for Columbine' about weapon ownership in the US.

(rnw.nl)
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Well, I for one am interested to hear what he has to say about the links between Bush and bin Laden. For my part I am very sceptical, but would be good to hear what he says so we can look for other sources. I suppose he's fairly uncontroversially linked with the Suadi's so maybe it isn't as strange as it seems on first thought. Ah well, should be thought-provoking if nothing else
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
Well, I for one am interested to hear what he has to say about the links between Bush and bin Laden.
His latest book has a bunch on this too. It's really not that exciting, seeing as how they're a really powerful economic family. Plus, its not like there's any shortage of them. I think that the ties with the Sauds (not just the Bushes, but many high-level relationships) are more interesting, in the sense of basically no action being taken against Saudi Arabia, despite the overwhelming number of 9/11 hijackers being from there.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

I can't wait to see this movie

[ 05-22-2004, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

First, it's namby-pamby horseshit that he won. Unless a "documentary" is allowed "creative license" as all his other "documentaries" presume to take.

Moreover, let me point out that the Bin Laden family and OBL are not one and the same. OBL is actually ostracised and disowned from his family. Yes, our gummint has connections to the Saudi Royalty, along with it, OBL. So long as it benefits the US to keep such connections, I see no crime against the people of the US.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Good you Mike,maybe a few more people will read his books,and watch his movies.Just might open a few minds.At least get a discussion going..
Old 05-23-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

I can already see how this thread will develop- Some people will recycle the opinion that Moore is a liar and out to decieve people and they will put this opinion in the guise of fact- ironically the very thing they accuse Moore of constantly doing. Other will wait with anticipation to see the film and laud Moore as a hero for the people. The little guy from a working class background who's out to defeat the evil and corrupt big government/corporation by exposing their lies and hypocracy.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I do anticipate seeing the film, but I so approach it with an open, yet healthily skeptical mind.

[ 05-23-2004, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I do anticipate seeing the film, but I so approach it with an open, yet healthily skeptical mind.
Exactly. I want to hear what Moore has to say, but my previous experiences with him have left me with a bad tase in my mouth, dubious as to his claims. I walked away from BFC with a notion that he had fairly represented things, when in fact he had not -- he spliced multiple interviews together to seem as one and did other "sneaky git" reporter things that made me sorry I'd taken him at face value.

As with all "news" sources these days, you must take him with a grain of salt and do your own research to ferret out his lies/misrepresentations.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:11 AM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Indeed. That's why his books are much worse than his films in my opinion, because its much easier to sort out which of his 'facts' are dodgy.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I do anticipate seeing the film, but I so approach it with an open, yet healthily skeptical mind.
Exactly. I want to hear what Moore has to say, but my previous experiences with him have left me with a bad tase in my mouth, dubious as to his claims. I walked away from BFC with a notion that he had fairly represented things, when in fact he had not -- he spliced multiple interviews together to seem as one and did other "sneaky git" reporter things that made me sorry I'd taken him at face value.

As with all "news" sources these days, you must take him with a grain of salt and do your own research to ferret out his lies/misrepresentations.
</font>[/QUOTE]Just curious TL, with all the lies Moore has told, how many times has he been sued for slander or libel?