Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2002, 08:26 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

This thread was inspired by Lord Of Alcohol's reply on the "The Anna Nicole Smith Show (or watching a fat drunk girl eat and drink)" thread, which I've quoted below:

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
I'm all for not watching Anne Nicole! Or much tv at all! I mainly watch movies or the History and Discovery channels anyway. Errr umm and I watch the old Andy Griffith show reruns. For some reason I laugh my ass off watching that show. Yea I know, doesnt take much to entertain me [img]smile.gif[/img]
The post made me think of my favorite scene from The Andy Griffith Show. I decided to see if I could find the script for it and came up with it with not to much trouble.

So this ones for you Lord!

ANDY: Well, if it ain't Charlie Money Bags, the big philanthropist. Howdy do!
OPIE: What you talkin' 'bout, Paw?
ANDY: I'm talkin' about the Underprivileged Children's Drive.
OPIE: Oh, they collected for that at school, Paw.
ANDY: Oh, I know they did. OH, I know they did. And when they called your name you gave the large, generous amount of THREE CENTS. My that was big of ya' Diamond Jim!
OPIE: Did I give 'em too much, Paw?
ANDY: TOO MUCH?!
OPIE: I could ask 'em to give back two cents.
ANDY: Now, looky here... we better talk about this thing... Now, now, now, looky here Opie. You can't give a little piddling amount like three cents to a worthy cause like the Underprivileged Children's Drive. Why, I was readin' here just the other day where there was somewhere like 400 needy boys in this county alone. Or, one and a half boys per square mile.
OPIE: There is?
ANDY: There sure is.
OPIE: I never seen one, Paw.
ANDY: Never seen one, what?
OPIE: A half a boy.
ANDY: Well, it's not really a half a boy. It's a ratio.
OPIE: Horatio, who?
ANDY: Not Horatio, a ratio. Mathematics. Arithmetic. Now, look, Opie, just forget that part of it. Forget the part about the half a boy.
OPIE: It's pretty hard to forget a thing like that, Paw.
ANDY: Well, TRY.
OPIE: (looking sad) Poor Horatio.
ANDY: Now look... Horatio is not the only needy boy... Son, didn't you ever give anybody anything just for the pleasure of it? Somethin' you didn't want anything in return for?
OPIE: Sure, just yesterday I gave my friend Jimmy something.
ANDY: Now that's fine. What'd you give him?
OPIE: A sock in the head.
ANDY: I meant CHARITY.
OPIE: I didn't charge him nothing.
ANDY: I meant something for the joy of giving.
OPIE: I ENJOYED IT. I don't like Jimmy anymore. He makes fun of Charlotte.
ANDY: Who's Charlotte?
OPIE: My girlfriend.
ANDY: Oh. Well, I just don't see how anybody who has as much as you could care so little about others.
OPIE: I CARE ABOUT OTHERS, honest.
ANDY: Not when you give a little, piddling amount like three cents. That's being selfish. You should have given at least a half a dollar or a dollar.
OPIE: A DOLLAR? Gosh, Paw. I only have two dollars and twenty cents in my whole piggy bank and I'm saving it to buy Charlotte something.
ANDY: Now well! That's dandy. THAT IS JUST DANDY. Whole dollars you'll squander on your girlfriend Charlotte but when it comes to the Under Privileged Children's Fund you've got only three cents.
OPIE: I wasn't gonna squander it, Paw. I wasn't gonna squander it.
ANDY: Yeah.
OPIE: What's squander?

I agree that the show is a classic!

It's even better when you see it on TV! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark

[ 08-05-2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 08-05-2002, 08:40 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Thanks Mark LOL I love that show! I never saw that episode though However the time Goober assembled a car in Andys office so he could work on it and watch the office for Andy was funny as hell!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:00 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

For some strange reason this one episode I never forgot (haven't watched that show for ages). Don't even remember the entire show, just this one part. Andy is sick and having to stay at home in bed, and Aunt Bee likes to tuck him in like a mummy. She tucks and tucks the top covers all around his entire body LOL. Andy is all polite and smiling, but when she leaves he gets freaky and starts kicking the covers loose violently LOL. Yeah Pauly, guess I'm easily entertained too LOL, doh! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I remember that one Wendy! I think Aunt Bee mothered him to death so get got better lol
Old 08-05-2002, 09:50 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree with everyone else here. I firmly believe The Andy Griffith Show is the best TV show ever made.

I have two 6-hour tapes packed full of episodes. I honostly think I've seen every single episode at LEAST once...and some I've seen dozens of times. The show combined great characters, good humor, and solid family values all in one.

I can't think of any other show that even comes close.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:09 PM   #6
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
This thread was inspired by Lord Of Alcohol's reply on the "The Anna Nicole Smith Show (or watching a fat drunk girl eat and drink)" thread, which I've quoted below:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
I'm all for not watching Anne Nicole! Or much tv at all! I mainly watch movies or the History and Discovery channels anyway. Errr umm and I watch the old Andy Griffith show reruns. For some reason I laugh my ass off watching that show. Yea I know, doesnt take much to entertain me [img]smile.gif[/img]
The post made me think of my favorite scene from The Andy Griffith Show. I decided to see if I could find the script for it and came up with it with not to much trouble.

ANDY: Not when you give a little, piddling amount like three cents. That's being selfish. You should have given at least a half a dollar or a dollar.
OPIE: A DOLLAR? Gosh, Paw. I only have two dollars and twenty cents in my whole piggy bank and I'm saving it to buy Charlotte something.
ANDY: Now well! That's dandy. THAT IS JUST DANDY. Whole dollars you'll squander on your girlfriend Charlotte but when it comes to the Under Privileged Children's Fund you've got only three cents.
OPIE: I wasn't gonna squander it, Paw. I wasn't gonna squander it.
ANDY: Yeah.
OPIE: What's squander?

I agree that the show is a classic!

It's even better when you see it on TV! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark
[/QUOTE]But what was Opie buying for Charlotte? I don't remember the item, but I think Andy had to eat some crow...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:58 AM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

I found this on : http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...134/guide.html

"Opie's Charity" Andy gets mad at Opie for only givin' 3 cents to the needy children's drive at school. Opie says he can't give more because he's savin' to buy his girlfriend Charlotte a present. Ang tries and tries to get him to give more but he won't. Finally he gets really mad and sends him up to his room to think about it one night before supper. Andy is downstairs bickerin' when Aunt Bee gives him a good talkin' to about havin' faith in his own little boy. Come to find out, Opie was savin' to buy a coat for Charlotte which makes Andy feel really bad.

Mark
Old 08-06-2002, 08:24 AM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Like a LOT of episodes, this one had a "dual storyline" where Andy gets upset with Opie for doing something, only to find out that HE'S just as guilty of inappropriate behavior.

In "Opie's Charity", Andy was upset with Opie only donating .03c because of how it would make HIM look. He was embarassed that the sheriff's son (firmly implying a middle class income) would only donate .03c to a charity.

At the same time, an old resident of Mayberry had returned after being gone for over a year. Andy was shocked to see him because the last time he "saw" him was at the man's funeral!!!

Turns out, the man had left his wife, but she was too proud to admit he had left...so she told the whole town he had been killed and threw the biggest funeral Mayberry had ever seen. All through the episode, Andy and the former husband keep "poking fun" at his wife's prideful nature. All the while, Andy is mad at Opie because his "pitiful donation" is hurting Andy's pride.

In the scene where Aunt Bea gives Andy a "good talking too", she points out that he is acting just like the ex-wife he's been making fun of.

That's when Andy calls Opie back down, apologizes, and says that "if he wants to buy his girlfriend some candy, or a toy, or whateve, that's fine".

"But Paw," Opie keeps trying to say "I ain't buying her a toy"
"You're not"
"No sir. I'm going to buy her a new coat."
"A new coat" Andy says in shock.
"Yeah Paw. The one she's got is kinda raggedy".
"Opie, you never told me you wanted to buy Charlotte a new coat. Why didn't you tell me that's what you wanted to spend your money on."
"You never asked me, Paw."

That's when Andy gets that classic "Well, I just screwed up" look on his face as they sit down at the supper table.

When Opie asks what they're having for supper, Andy replies "Well, you and Aunt Bea are having chicken....and I'm eating crow."

Classic TV.....gotta love it.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:28 PM   #9
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Every show had a moral to it. That's what made it such a great show! We still watch them. My wife is addicted to them and my kids watch them too.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:09 PM   #10
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

Ahh thanks for the Andy moments. My fav is still the episode with a young Bill Bixby is caught speeding on a friday night. So he has to sit in jail. Like a spoiled rich kid he tells Andy he's going to be in trouble when his father finds out. Over the course of the show Opie gets into trouble but doesn't bail him out, as BB's dad would have...ahh the lessons learned...