Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Sometimes, when I am writing a chapter for the Stackman Saga or a story for various other threads, I sit and ponder the gameplay of this great game and the time when I played it for the first time.

Then I think about the designs of the dungeons and the puzzles, and I thought that these themes would make a good discussion, although I know that there have been threads in the distant past dealing partially with these subjects.

So what I would like to hear from you is: What is your favourite dungeon and why. What is your favourite puzzle, and what was your biggest thrill of discovering a new place or making a breakthough in the game?

Personally, my favourite dungeon is the crypt. It is the first dungeon one encounters and it has all the elements of horror. It does not have the sheer beauty of Collasium or the wonderful mine cart rides of the Stout Mines, but the swim across the asylum moat was what really made me love this game.

My favourite puzzle would be the vault puzzle in Shurugeon Castle. Perhaps because it is the one with the most logical solution. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The occurence which was the most thrilling. (Apart from spotting the crypt lever for the first time [img]smile.gif[/img] ) would have to be either using a crate to open the portcullis in the path of the wizard or finding the Snake Temple Belfry.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

oooo let's see:

Collasium is probably my favorite dungeon - I just really enjoyed the swimming around. The various dungeons really cover such a wide range of environments so they were all very interesting, but I really enjoyed the swimming!

Not sure I have a favorite puzzle but I guess the Serpent Temple elevator maze might be my choice - it fit in so well with my long ago learned game logic - "if you want to get east, go west".

Biggest thrill wouldn't be an accomplishment of mine - would be playing the game at night and suddenly being really surprised by monsters! One of the first times I was outside of Ishad N'ha at night, some spiders were just suddenly there and I jumped for real! That was good!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
Norin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My best memory in Wizards & Warriors, for as much as I have played it, still remains the first time I entered the Graveyard with my sole Dwarven Warrior Norin, and thinking I was the man after slaying the Skeletons, only to be killed in no time by the Liche ( that was the first sorceror's name right? ). It took me around five new characters (all Norins) to finally beat that guy.

Biggest thrill would have been in the Boogre Prison, running around at top speed after thinking I had cleared it all, and then crashing into a Jungle Lilly that just seemed to be chilling around that corner. It didn't attack me for some reason, maybe because I was out of there way too fast!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Oh oh oh! Boogre prison, boogre prison! [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Yes I really like that dungeon. I play it through smiling. "Boogre punches roach. Misses!" However boogres are not the only reason I like the prison. The dungeon is built very nicely. You need to use brute force as well as using the magic that is available to you while boogrefied.

Favorite puzzle? Hmm that's a tough one. I don't think I have a favorite puzzle.

Biggest thrill? Running into salads in the middle of the night (both in the game as well as in real life). I think I woke the entire family with my shriek.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:20 AM   #5
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Favourite dungeon... Probably the Stout Mines... I guess it's because I love the whole broken bridge over river of lava scenario.

Favourite puzzle would probably be the gargoyle chain puzzle in Shurugeon. Took me soooo long to figure it out the first time.

Breakthroughs:

1) Finally finding that guy in the Stout mines

2) Getting the courage to go to the Boogre caves, when I knew there were salads there

3) Killing my first salad (Temporary moment of joy - then the second and third appeared... ouch )

4) Killing the Leprechaun (thanks again for the incinerate tip, Bungleau!)

There you go. All done.

Moiraine Sedai
Old 11-26-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Ahh, yes, now that I feel slightly more qualified to answer a question like this after experiencing most of the game in its totality, time for some flashbacks and misty reflections.

My favourite dungeon would have to be Shurugeon Castle with the Serpent's Temple a close joint second with the Crypt. Simply the misty atmosphere, the darkness, and the sound of the water when I first approached the castle was just mesmerising. I could hear something outside and move nervously about with the uncertainty of what creatures may be lurking about. The layout was also clever and required you to pay attention to avoid getting lost. And of course the encounter with Haleabus was well scripted with the plot surrounding Ardibren and the ever suffering D'Soto. In a phrase, the place had ambience!

If I'd have to pick a most enjoyed puzzle, it'd probably be the logic of the four walkway platforms in Skull Castle if it can be called a puzzle. Being able to mentally calculate all the ifs and therefores over when I could make it from a to b was alot of fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Some particularly thrilling moments for me:
A) Hearing and seeing G'Ezzerred Ra's rasping speech and plea for help within Cet's Temple in his pitiable state. Breathtaking! Didn't think I'd get to see him again after Skull Castle...
B) Killing Scabban as his tense 'yes yes yes yesses' rose to a crescendo.
C) Agreeing to the Oath of the Mavin. (Only to learn to be let down by it being only a guideline as opposed to a full blown morality [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
D) Watching with awe the golden destructive glow of a first cast Firestorm...and cackling with warlockian glee as I returned to the Jungle Lillies near Shurugeon...
E) Jumping on to Chester the Submarine steed for the first time and galloping away into the night towards the Crypt! [img]smile.gif[/img]

That'll do. Otherwise I might not stop! I shan't be replaying it for a little while now... but I definitely got every cent and more out of what I meagrely payed for it...some good memories too.

Noble Cheers,
Cerebrodragon

[ 11-26-2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
alz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not sure if I can remember all the commands, but I might be able to capture a run-through of the Crypt and Temple levels that were re-done, but not released.

I'd post a DIVX file or somethin' along those lines. They both were lit spooky, but I think one of the lighting files went by way of the dodo.
alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:05 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hey, Alz! Long time, no see! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I'd be interested in seeing whatever you might be able to dig up. Please do pass it along [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:54 AM   #9
alz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'll see what I can dig up. I might not have anything until after the holidays, though (busy busy busy time!)

But I'll definately give it a looksee
alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:38 AM   #10
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My biggest thrill---going to the boogre caves with out even meaning to go there . My guys were tearing the place up and I decided to check out the Mountains of the Giants, which just so happened to be the Boogre Caves. I went in, see some weird dude talking to me from behind some bars, and next thing I know, I'm falling through the ground! I constantly reloaded and reloaded to try to not fall and get to the guy, only to end up killing my people by getting crushed in the trapped (moving) floor. The biggest shock was when I took a look at my characters and found out they were boogers. Know what was even more of a shock? I got to some Jungle Lillies, thinking, "You're no match for me; I have some fire storm spells to burn your ass." And you know what happens? spell fizzles . Oh yeah, Boogre Caves was definately the best one .

Can't think of a fav puzzle, but I have an agravating one. Just today, when follow the warrior's path in the Crypt, I couldn't get pass the fires. I tried what seemed like everything for about 30 minutes till I got ticked and decided to commit suicide. I ran around each fire (except the middle one since it heals you), and whata you know! The door was open for me to get through [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote