Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-24-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Same here Cloudy! We have a lot of fun in our multigame. Hey, you know, you haven't turned into a slime for fun in awhile ROTFL. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

And even in a single player game, it is more interesting if you have a party, with NPCs that have backgrounds and personalities, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-25-2004, 04:32 AM   #12
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

If you think about it though DnD is a single-character multi-player game...
Old 11-26-2004, 03:58 PM   #13
Malthaussen
Manshoon

But the old "first rule" of the original D&D was "anything you don't like, you can change." This is possible in a pnp game where one is creating his own campaign (my own campaign, for example, has little in common with the "official" D&D rules), but in a computer game, you're stuck with what the programmers decide (until the modders and hackers come out to play).

And in most pnp games of D&D I've been in, players have controlled more than one character. So it's not an unusual thing to want.

-- Mal
Old 11-27-2004, 10:22 AM   #14
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

The belief that I take away from the Dragon Age forum is that there will be a large party possible if the player wants it, and multiplay will be a distant cousin. There will always be NWN for multiplay.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
Lucern
Quintesson

I too am in favor of not only parties, but large parties. I liked some of the old gold box games of 6 players + 2 henchmen, with the only penalty being them taking treasure and experience away.

I also liked a little game called Runesword 2 that you could download for free. It let you make parties of 9 and had interesting enough combat.

And I care not what you say, but I enjoyed post-patch Temple of Elemental Evil, and would have much more so if it was more expansive. Taking up to 8 characters (5 of your own + 3 of 36 NPCs) into a more epic quest would have been awesome. Instead I feel like my characters should be starting a new campaign after beating it. I liked its combat more than any D&D game ever before - turn based 3.5e rules in all its glory. Plus you could get a gay pirate. Don't try to pretend that isn't cool lol. It would have been better if they let ToEE finish cooking of course.

But I'm a fan of many games, and the more one has in their party (especially if it scales the game upwards), the more tactical possibilities there are. There are very little tactical possibilities in solo games. Besides, if the game doesn't offer much replayability, I'll miss out on all of the character types that I couldn't take. In AD&D games, that's a lot of characters.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:04 PM   #16
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

I fully enjoy parties! Crank the sounds [img]graemlins/1djsmile.gif[/img] , stomp the floor [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img] , drink [img]graemlins/1drunk.gif[/img] and be merry [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2004, 01:01 AM   #17
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

I don't like parties all that much, because you can end up with situations like this..

"Me and my party killed a dragon once, well not me so much I got knocked out in the first round, but my party killed the dragon"

Don't get me wrong, I do love some games where you play with a party, but often while playing BG2 I'm thinking I want to take that NPC and that one as well..

When you play with a party system you'll find yourself limited to a smaller number than you might want, but then when you've got a big party you can break the game ballence.

How hard would NWN have been if you could have taken 6 char's? Well your talking about being able to smash away any resistance, take the first area, alone it's not hard if you pace yourself, but with a few more hand's it'd be a cakewalk..

Well, as you say why not then ballence for 6 or however many char's you want to take..

Nice idea but then the game becomes harder for anyone who wants to play with less than the maximum number of chars.

Party system's only work well in point and click games.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:15 AM   #18
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
(Q'alooaith) Well, as you say why not then ballence for 6 or however many char's you want to take..

Nice idea but then the game becomes harder for anyone who wants to play with less than the maximum number of chars.
Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I meant scaling that's done in the progress of the game, similar to the coding I've seen done in NWN multiplayer settings. You can arrange to get a different random encounter with a level 8 character than with a level 4. I've seen this done with parties in some games, though it's rare.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:16 AM   #19
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
I really wonder if Morrowind would work online. They'll have to split up it's huge game world in sections to make it work.
Bethesda will never make online games, never. And they will never make one of their games into online gameplaying, and that is for the best.