Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2001, 11:42 AM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

Things to Do While Waiting for AOL to Connect

Your taxes

Complete your BA degree

Watch your hair grow

Finally clean your keyboard

Count the tiles on the ceiling 200 times

Think about commercials you saw during the Super Bowl

Scribble I HAVE NO LIFE on a notepad

Read War and Peace, and write a book report on it

Contemplate the meaning of a General Protection Fault

Watch your AOL stocks decrease in value

Become mesmerized by your screen saver

Organize your desk

Spend "Quality Time" with your hard drive

Plan secret mission involving AOL headquarters and several rolls of toilet paper

Try to remember the words to the pledge of allegiance

Listen to the radio

Contemplate the meaning of the word "unlimited"

Clip your toenails
Old 10-17-2001, 11:53 AM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

I could add some more to the list, but I'd be here till Christmas. It's so annoying that it takes such an incredible amount of time to connect/log on. I think I'll get rid of it and get Yahoo or MSN.

------------------

Formidable Flirty Fishy Sorcerer of the HADB

Old 10-17-2001, 11:55 AM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Is AOL REALLY as bad as everyone says? It can't be THAT bad, because it's certainly an excellent source for joke creating inspiration.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:05 PM   #4
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

When I first set up my computer, I signed on with AOL. It worked sporadically for two weeks, then I couldn't get on at all. Called the Customer Svc. ppl several times over the next three weeks (good thing I didn't know about IW then or I'd've been having the DTs ). They kept having me dump my cache and all other manner of technogarble. Nothing ever worked.

So, finally I called peoplepc - that's who put the computer package together. They informed me that I got three YEARS !FREE! internet access through them (nice time to tell me, huh?). Therefore - no more ugly AOL! *thbppt!*

Of course, now I'm considering DSL as opposed to dial-up, but my peoplepc account runs through MSN and I have only had trouble two or three times in a year and that was due to 'high volume' already online. Got on about 30 minutes later - no problem!

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old 10-17-2001, 01:04 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

I have little choice about ISPs, so reluctantly use AOL.

The situation is complex, so bear with me:
Most ISPs in Britain don't offer 'flat rate' where you pay a subscription and dial up on a freephone number. This results in huge phone bills, which is a no-no (£80 a month at one point for me).

There are also plenty of ISPs who do offer dial-up to a freephone number, hence no phone charges, but only if your phone-line is provided by BT!!

My phone is not provided by BT, I have cable TV and my phone is provided by Telewest as part of the package. Telewest offer free flat-rate internet, but only if your voice phone-calls total more than £10 a month. Mine don't (about £2 a month because I'm partially deaf and don't use the phone much) so they won't give me free dial-up.

AOL is the only ISP I can find - I pay £14.99 a month and dial up with no call charges, which is a lot better for me. They are a bit slow, and constantly dl upgrades to their package to my PC without asking, but it is my only option.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."