Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

Why is it when a storm is predicted we see news pictures of the entire area at Home Depot or whereever buying plywood? Don't you people keep it and store it in the garage so you're ready for the next storm? I'd think you'd go buy it in off storm season, drill it, fit it, and label it before the next storm.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 09-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Arvon, do you have any idea of what 80-140 mph wind can do? The plywood protects the structure of the window, and helps to reduce the amount of water that gets blown in. Rocks, trees, cars and such go right through the plywood. Then it has holes in it, but still can reduce further damage it it remains attached. Usually when the storm is over, the plywood is soaked, warped, shredded, blown three blocks away, or all of the above, rendering it pretty much useless. When it becomes back to back storms, money is usually tight, and getting more plywood was not the first priority, until the path is predicted.

I left Fla OCT 1981, and don't plan to reside there after retirement.

[ 09-05-2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Arvon, do you have any idea of what 80-140 mph wind can do? The plywood protects the structure of the window, and helps to reduce the amount of water that gets blown in. Rocks, trees, cars and such go right through the plywood. Then it has holes in it, but still can reduce further damage it it remains attached. Usually when the storm is over, the plywood is soaked, warped, shredded, blown three blocks away, or all of the above, rendering it pretty much useless. When it becomes back to back storms, money is usually tight, and getting more plywood was not the first priority, until the path is predicted.

I left Fla OCT 1981, and don't plan to reside there after retirement.
If all of that is true (and I believe it) then after a couple of times the expanse of steel shutters would be worth it. In lieu of that, move.

Old 09-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

to answer your question, the main reason people do not buy and store plywood, is because the longer it is in normal storage the weaker it gets. where at the home depot, they are kept in climate controlled storage, so they are stronger [img]smile.gif[/img] plus it is just more fun to wait until the last minute to buy
Old 09-05-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

I don't suppose anyone can pop up to Lake Buena Vista to check on my property?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
to answer your question, the main reason people do not buy and store plywood, is because the longer it is in normal storage the weaker it gets. where at the home depot, they are kept in climate controlled storage, so they are stronger [img]smile.gif[/img] plus it is just more fun to wait until the last minute to buy
Lol! Too true...

[ 09-05-2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

My solution: Move to a boring place in the middle of no-where like Edmonton so you don't have to buy plywood and worry about hurricanes!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
My solution: Move to a boring place in the middle of no-where like Edmonton so you don't have to buy plywood and worry about hurricanes!
Or in the middle of the states, whichever you prefer
Old 09-05-2004, 07:10 PM   #9
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Or in the middle of the states, whichever you prefer
Except the middle of the states is Tornado Alley -- my home is outside St. Louis, MO.

I'd take a nice hurricane that you can see days in advance over freaky unexpected tornadoes ripping up random houses left & right, for sure...
Old 09-05-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
Horse pucky! You ever been in Home Depot? There's no climate control there!!! Just hotter than the hinges of hell in the summer and colder that a witches..er never mind.