Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2001, 04:10 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I am curious. I originally joined the active duty army from the reserves to participate in the Gulf War. Even if I was not in the reserves, I know I would have joined anyway. How many others feel this way? If another country was found to be responsible for this atrocity and war was declared, how many would go to the nearest recruiting station and sign up? How many people here would have this level of patriotism? I know it's hard to say, but try anyway. I've thought long and hard about whether I would/could join up again in this case. I have developed athsma/allergies that have to be controlled with Advair and Albuterol inhalers and daily Allegra caplets, so I don't think they'd have me now.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:13 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

At 40 years old I think they would turn me away. If I was called, I would go!

Mark
Old 09-11-2001, 04:14 PM   #3
MagiK

Been there done that Kenyth 10 year Navy Vet here

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-11-2001, 04:14 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

If it was in response to an attack of our country and they were short of man power, yes I would. I wouldn't volunteer for something like vietnam or the gulf, because they weren't direct attacks to our country. We were involving ourselves in other countries' affairs. I honestly don't think there will be a draft again though because the nature of war has changed significantly in the last few years. You can do more with less manpower.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-11-2001, 04:17 PM   #5
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

were i of legal service age, maybe. thats all i can say, because i would have to weigh the consequences in my mind before making a decision such as joinging any branch of the armed forces during a war.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Old 09-11-2001, 04:18 PM   #6
G'kar

While I will pray for the justice that the due to the forces behind this great evil, I personally, wouldn't join up. It has nothing todo with my "level of patriotism". I'd rather serve my country in a non-violent way. I don't condemn those that would though.

Old 09-11-2001, 04:25 PM   #7
Elif Godson
Dracolich

To be a patriot means more than just going to war.
Nowadays it is a very hard definition.
The preschool teacher that cares for 30 or more
children with little more than thanks can be more of a
patriot then some of uniformed people. They do this to
make a differnce in the lives of our children.
Sorry I lost my tangent too much going on.

------------------
If you dont know where you are going, stop spin around three times and then your home.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:29 PM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

You must understand, it's not "if" we were attacked and "if" we're short of manpower. We WERE attacked, we just don't know by whom as of yet and we ARE short of soldiers! I know because I just got out 1 year ago and they were going crazy on soldier retention because of soldier shortages. The military is already not able to keep it's promise on providing burial details for all deceased WWII vets.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:33 PM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I hope I didn't come across as meaning that you had to be a military member to be patriotic. That's certainly not the case. It's just a bit of traditional patriotism for all able bodied young men (and women now) to join during times of war.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:39 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
You must understand, it's not "if" we were attacked and "if" we're short of manpower. We WERE attacked, we just don't know by whom as of yet and we ARE short of soldiers! I know because I just got out 1 year ago and they were going crazy on soldier retention because of soldier shortages. The military is already not able to keep it's promise on providing burial details for all deceased WWII vets.

We are not that short on manpower. Soldiers seem barely needed in modern warfare. Most of the fighting is either electronic or tactical. From what I understand, in the gulf soldiers were used for peacekeeping and special forces were used to light up targets. That's it - at least from what the media says.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB