Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did you follow the news on one special channel?
Yes 17 65.38%
No 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
WillowIX
Apophis

Due to the fact that the war forum is closing I decided, with help from Luvian, to post the poll in here instead. Please share your thoughts not only by voting but also by giving us your reasoning. [img]smile.gif[/img] Since I canīt make a poll covering all networks, I had to make this a yes or no question, therefore PLEASE tell us what you thought.

BUT please refrain from debating other peoples comments since you can in no way sway their past decisions. I hope this will help to keep the discussion friendly. [img]smile.gif[/img] Comments are of course allowed if they meet the ToS.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I followed the war on Fox, and I am not ashamed in the slightest degree. I did, however, love the look on Peter Jennings' face when Saddam's statue was pulled down. He looked like he smelled something really, really bad.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:49 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

I followed the BBC news since I found that they had way better commenting and information than most American channels. They also have a slightly different view on casualties (I mean ABSOLUTELY no disrespect to any fallen in battle).

I must say I was very disappointed with CNN. Sure they had good coverage but they lacked in every other area IMO. Since I didnīt watch Fox, I only watch one program on Fox, I canīt comment on that. I could only comment on what Iīve seen in the papers or heard on the news but I didnīt experience it myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2003, 12:21 AM   #4
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

I'll second Attalus' post, and further comment that at times it seemed like ABCNBCCBSCNN couldn't wait to broadcast that the troops were bogged down, friendly fire, accidently killing a civilian, every little nitpick designed to make the troops and by extension George W. look bad.
Thank God for FOX News. Their TV shows are another story...
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 01:50 AM   #5
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

I followed BBC after discovering CNN wasn't so impartial as I thought. Anyway, the first casualty of war is the truth.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I followed it on all channels. If I wanted information I went to the BBC, if I wanted rhetoric I went to FOX, if I wanted a laugh I went to FOX, and if I wanted a rumour I went to FOX [img]smile.gif[/img] . Sky did a pretty good job - not much to say about CNN or NBC.

To style myself briefly on FOX , "We at DBS (Davros Broadcasting Station) conjecture that FOX is really a news commentary sercvice, and it is rumoured that their core motto is that Every Fact Deserves A Good Opinion"
Old 05-05-2003, 04:27 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

For Tv news I go for the closest to the channel I am watching. So 41 Fox is lowest usually followed by 42,43 CNN then 53 MSNBC but ultimately I usually only watched TV war coverage for the live action shots and skip to 61 comedy central and my favorite news commentary : Jon Stewart. [img]smile.gif[/img] Unfortunaltley I do not get the BBC TV regularly.

I use google news search and typically scan a few stories everyday whilst web surfing.

And finally the Boston Globe or Herald or Metro or Pheonix or the NY times and occasionally the WSJ while on the train. I have a subscription to Time magazine.

I skimmed past most TV coverage only because in general I find the TV packaging of news to be geared more towards entertainment and less toward factual and thoughtful reporting.

Either they were reporting the over-hyped phantom 7 day quagmire or womd sightings like the presidents re-election counted on finding them. War demonstarators were reduced to a few soundbytes of rioters and people who carried "no war for oil" signs from the thousands who attended.

Tv is good for a soundbyte, a documentry, or live action unfolding, everything else available is too overpackaged, lean on facts, or over-slanted for me.

I did find it eerily entertaining for a moment to surf past a live battle scene unfolding as well as gut wrenching becasue during that live battle I stood witness to the death being caused.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:43 PM   #8
Son of Osiris

During this War in Iraq thing, I left CNN on AT ALL TIMES.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #9
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I actually switched around quite a bit including the BBC and I've got to say EVERYONE of them had a slant. No exceptions.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote